Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 2nd, 2014 22:00

HORRIBLE Optiplex 9020 Power Supply

Why why why?!?  Why does the Optiplex 9020, a BUSINESS class computer, use a Dell Proprietary power supply?  And worse yet, Dell does not sell any replacement power supply as far as I have found!

So, the power supply goes out ... Dell says too bad, I guess!

Now, the PinOut itself is easy ... but converting a standard power supply is not possible, because one of the wires in the Pinout is also proprietary, not found on a standard ATX power supply.

Here is the Pinout for th 8-pin power plug (instead of the standard 20/24 pin plug)

Black = Ground
White = 12 volt
Green = Power On (just like on ATX)
Gray = Power Good (just like on ATX)
PURPLE = 12 Volt Standby (NOT present on ATX)  On ATX, the purple is 5 volts, NOT 12 volts.

This is very disappointing!  How are we supposed to upgrade or replace the power supply in these 9020 towers???

Note that there is NO 5 volt wire.  The 5 volt for the drives comes from the motherboard.  The power to the hard drives and CD drive is plugged directly into the motherboard, NOT the power supply.

CRAZY!!!!!

3 Posts

June 4th, 2014 14:00

Discovered this same [ADMIN NOTE: Profanity removed as per TOU] today in our 9020s we bought for upgrades for our 7010 from last year... What the [ADMIN NOTE: Profanity removed as per TOU] is wrong with sticking to industry standards for testing, replacements, and compatibility for upgrades etc. Same reason we dropped Lenovo line 4 years back.

Looks like Dell is back to their old antics and won't be on our purchasing list anymore. [ADMIN NOTE: Profanity removed as per TOU], can't even change pin out or get an adapter looking at the schematics. Will make sure our premier rep hears about this...

4 Posts

June 4th, 2014 20:00

The 9010 MiniTower uses a standard 24 pin power supply.  Perhaps you are talking about the small form cases that use a different power supply ... so that won't help with the 9020 mini towers that use the proprietary power supply.

I did see that there was one seller on ebay selling a 9020 power supply ... and there is only 1 single power supply listed.  So, that shows that people aren't getting these available to sell ... and that doesn't really help at all.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

June 4th, 2014 20:00

So, the power supply goes out ... Dell says too bad, I guess!
I bought one for my 9010 on eBay. Red Planet Trading and others are great sources for Dell proprietary parts.

3 Posts

June 4th, 2014 21:00

Yes because businesses, government, and institutions purchase hardware on ebay...

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 14th, 2015 07:00

It would appear that there is a solution.

Dell OptiPlex 3020 PSU Main Power 24-Pin to 8-Pin Adapter Cable 30cm

Suitable for Dell OptiPlex 3020 / 7020 / 9020 / T1700

3   Black = Ground                   (Same as 24 pin)
2  White = 12 volt                     (Same as 24 pin)
1 Green = Power On                (Same as 24 pin)
1  Gray = Power Good              (Same as 24 pin)
1  PURPLE = 12 Volt Standby  (Taken from Molex)

http://www.moddiy.com/products/Dell-OptiPlex-3020-PSU-Main-Power-24%252dPin-to-8%252dPin-Adapter-Cable-%2830cm%29.html

4 Posts

September 6th, 2015 15:00

I did this over the weekend and it went without a hitch. The cable from ModDIY looks a little different now; you don't need the extra molex to get the second 12 volts...it all comes from the 24 pin connector. The replacement 750 watt power supply I got was a little longer than the oem part and I simply could not fit it in without removing the sliding lock thing inside the case. Once that was out, the psu slid in without an issue and the power supply mounting screws lined up exactly with the original holes. 

I installed an R9 380 video card in the box (which is what generated the need for the new power supply and the ModDIY cable). I'll have to run some video tests to see how it performs but my first test was running F1 2014 with everything turned on and it got an average of 108 FPS.

1 Message

November 18th, 2015 01:00

Which PSU do you use? Cant find anyone with 12V VSB?!

4 Posts

November 18th, 2015 16:00

It's a Sentey 725.

www.amazon.com/.../ref=sr_1_1;qid=1447893722&sr=8-1&keywords=sentey+725

4 Posts

November 18th, 2015 17:00

I doubt it. The SFFs use a compact PSU, I believe. The Sentey just fit in the 9020 tower case but not without some alteration (I had to remove a sliding bracket that's part of the security lock). 

Even though I had measured an actual 9020 ATX PSU and the Sentey was very close to those measurements, I was concerned it wouldn't fit. To be on the safe side, I went to a local computer store and bought from them for a few dollars a bare standard case. If I couldn't have gotten the Sentey to fit in the 9020 case, I would have transferred everything to the new case. I'm not sure that would be an option if you had a SFF motherboard, though. It would take some measuring. I'd be worried that the ports wouldn't line up properly and that I'd have to get creative with the motherboard mounting posts. Everything is doable if you have the patience though.

Just one last note. The reason I bought the 9020 was because it was a refurb at NewEgg at a really great price and it came with the I7 4770 and a 1TB hard drive. I really would have liked an Asus motherboard with two PCI slots for two video cards, but I couldn't put the pieces together for anywhere near the price of the refurb.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

November 18th, 2015 17:00

fixing the link http://www.amazon.com/Xpp725-hs-Computer-48ampers-Crossfire-Warranty/dp/B00SN6VN7W/

Will this power supply work in a 9020 SFF ?

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

November 18th, 2015 18:00

Thanks for the information.

I bought the SFF for the compactness, so I knew that I would most likely be giving up a lot of flexibility.

4 Posts

November 18th, 2015 20:00

I bought mine as a gaming machine to get back into sim racing after many years away from it. So I knew I'd need flexibility. You  could see if it would fit in a standard ATX style case. You can buy cases with power supplies reasonably. Then all you'd need is the adapter cable. It doesn't look like there are too many SFF power supplies that provide a lot of wattage on the Internet. I thought about the 9020 board I have not fitting in a regular case and decided I'd buy a new motherboard if that were the case. The price on the refurbed 9020 was good enough that I could have done that and still spent less than buying all the parts separately.

We run a lot of the SFF Dells at work. I don't deal with them; I'm a Unix guy. But they are reliable and if you don't need to do any additions to them, they run just fine for a long time. Of course, at work, we don't upgrade; we replace.

No Events found!