Had to re-install XP but no sounds etc..

Hello

Had to reinstall windows xp and now I have No sounds,can not get on the internet all icons are no longer there except my trash can icon.  With the CD's that came with my dell  dimension 9100  Which do I use to get back whats not there?  here are the cd's that came with my computer 8years ago  >(Green colored) cd-Operating system Already installed on your computer reinstallation CD,,,(blue cd)-Drivers and Utilities already installed on your computer DVD for installing dell dimension and  dell xps computer software,,,(blue cd)-Application already installed on your computer for reinstalling cyberlink powerDVD 5.5 software.    

I don't really understand computers I am a dummy.  Just need simple directions on what to do,thank goodness my daugthers computer works to look for help here on the forums.:emotion-42:

Thank you

0 Kudos
41 Replies
8 Krypton

Re: Had to re-install XP but no sounds etc..

CountryMeadow2828

Have you installed the audio driver?

Also, after installing XP, you need install the drivers and applications in the following order,

Desktop System Software [if applicable]
Chipset
Video 
Network Interface Card [NIC], aka Ethernet.
Audio
Modem [if required]
Then all other drivers and applications.

Followed by installing the Anti Virus utility, updating the definitions, then all the critical Microsoft updates.

It's best to restart the system, after installing each driver.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

0 Kudos

Hi CountryMeadow2828,

After installing windows you would need to install the drivers for your system. Please check the link below for installing appropriate drivers:

http://dell.to/X1IKGu

If you face any issues in installing drivers then let us know the model number for the system.

If you have any further queries, please feel free to contact us.

Thanks and Regards
Sandeep P
#iworkfordell

Thanks and Regards
Sandeep P
#iworkfordell

To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US Customers; UK Customers; India Customers. For Dell support videos click Here.

0 Kudos

Hello

So with the CDs that came with my computer which of these do I use first,second etc?  They are as follows- (Application cd) for reinstalling cyberlink powerDVD 5.5 software,--(Drivers and Utilities cd) DVD for installing Dell Dimension and Dell XPS computer software,---(Operating system cd) reinstallation CD microsoft windows xp professional service pack 2..:emotion-42:

0 Kudos

I can not get on the internet either  I have No sounds,not able to get online   so I can not download anything.  I have a dell Dimesnion 9100  and its 8 years old

0 Kudos
Blitterbug
1 Copper

Use the Drivers & Utilities CD. The people above have already told you that you need to install the missing drivers for sound, ethernet, etc and this is how to get them back. You don't need the Application CD yet, because it just adds some of the additional software like the DVD player. You MUST start with the Drivers & Utilities CD. Insert it and choose to run the setup program when prompted, then follow the on-screen prompts to re-install the missing hardware drivers. It's pretty easy. Also, be thankful that you have the CDs! These days, computers ship without them, and customers are expected to visit the manufacturers' website to download them - which can take hours, literally, as identifying what you need without a CD can be tricky. You should be up-and-running within 15 minutes or so of using the CD.

0 Kudos

Ok no need to make me feel bad I don't know much about computers sorry! Thanks for the answer now I can go try it out

0 Kudos
rdunnill
5 Osmium

I can not get on the internet either  I have No sounds,not able to get online   so I can not download anything.  I have a dell Dimesnion 9100  and its 8 years old

You can download the drivers straight from Dell. Since you're posting here, you must have some way of getting online, and you can get the latest that way.

As a point of interest, as support for Windows XP is going away in less than a year, I thought I'd let you know that Windows 7 Home Premium is on sale for $80 with offer code EMCXSWM244.

0 Kudos
Philip_Yip
6 Indium

It is recommended to install Windows 7 as Windows XP is reaching End of Life see Windows XP SP3 and Office 2003 - End of Life April 2014. 

My Windows Reinstallation Guide should help you:

http://philipyip.wordpress.com/dell-community-forums/

See A Clean Install of Windows 7 (or XP unrecommended).

Run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor and Intel Processor Identification Utility to get a 64 bit report. It is recommended to use the 64 bit version if the system is supported and you have your RAM to the maximum of 4 GB. The Crucial System Scanner will help you with regards to the RAM. If the 64 bit OS is supported or you have less than 4 GB of RAM the 32 bit version is recommended.

Dr Philip Yip
Tech Enthusiast and Author of the Unofficial Dell Windows Reinstallation Guide

Windows FAQs and OEM Downloads

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos
rdunnill
5 Osmium

I am running 64-bit Vista on a 220s with 2gb and RAM usage is under 1gb.

0 Kudos