Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 20th, 2008 17:00

Handing off our Dell

We are expecting some college tution refunds as well as my fiance's tax return in the beginning of 2009.  I was talking to my friend today and was teling him about it.  After all of Vista's frustrations I am ashamed to say it but we're getting a Mac.  I plan on wiping the hard drive before I send it as my fiance has various medical conditions and I don't want those records to accidently fall into someone's hands should the computer end up getting lost or he wants to put a bigger hard drive in it etc.  But the question I'm mainly asking is since the computer was purchased by my fiance in 2007 and the machine is in her name in other words she has to call tech support and give her name, address, service tag#, etc.  Does she need to contact Dell to do anything for him as far as him getting technical support. The system is out of warranty and we didn't buy an extended service plan from Dell as that is where we bought it since Dell didn't do retail back then.  I just want to make sure that should he need o call Dell for any reason he's not SOL.  Any help is appreciated. 

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 20th, 2008 17:00

We are expecting some college tution refunds as well as my fiance's tax return in the beginning of 2009.  I was talking to my friend today and was teling him about it.  After all of Vista's frustrations I am ashamed to say it but we're getting a Mac.  I plan on wiping the hard drive before I send it as my fiance has various medical conditions and I don't want those records to accidently fall into someone's hands should the computer end up getting lost or he wants to put a bigger hard drive in it etc.  But the question I'm mainly asking is since the computer was purchased by my fiance in 2007 and the machine is in her name in other words she has to call tech support and give her name, address, service tag#, etc.  Does she need to contact Dell to do anything for him as far as him getting technical support. The system is out of warranty and we didn't buy an extended service plan from Dell as that is where we bought it since Dell didn't do retail back then.  I just want to make sure that should he need o call Dell for any reason he's not SOL.  Any help is appreciated. 

Gb755c

Because the computer is out of warranty, Dell will not provide any support, unless you pay for it.

As the system is registered to your fiancé, you can transfer ownership to your friend.

See HERE

Bev.

No Events found!