Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 26th, 2015 11:00

Hard Drive Failures noted on scan. What to do?

For the past couple of months, when a hard drive scan occurs, I get the following failures:

Hard Drive - ST2000DM001-1CH164 - WHD20-CZR

SMART Short Self Test WHD16-HL9

There was some indication that a new hard drive would be required on my Dell 8500.  I have hardly used this computer and am surprised that I would need a new hard drive.  I saved the report and can send that.  What should I do at this point.  Can I trust the scan?  Every once in a while my screen goes kind of black and moves around a little, but it is always restored.

I get the following notices:

Test Finished:

Failed (Error code: WHD20-CZR)

9/26/2015 12:37:46 PM

The Test Event Logs keep jumping around when I try to cut and paste failures.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 26th, 2015 14:00

pwbernedell43

First, backup all the files and folders to other media, eg, a USB thumb drive, that you wish to save.

Regards to "I have hardly used this computer and am surprised that I would need a new hard drive".

Regrettably hard drives are mechanical devices and as such will fail, it's just a question of when.  

As far as I'm concerned, there are only two types of hard drives, the ones that have failed and those that are waiting to fail. 

Hence the reason for warranties and for keeping your backups current, to other media.

Was this test run, using the Dell Support Center?

If yes, see if you can run the on-board Dell Diagnostics to check the hard drive.

Restart the computer, press the 'F12' key on the Dell logo, then Select ‘Diagnostics’ from the boot menu and run the extended test on the hard drive.

Report back with any error codes shown.

Bev.

No Events found!