Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 9th, 2014 18:00

Hard drive problem? Can you help me diagnose it?

Thanks in advance for your comments/suggestions.

I have a Dell XP430 desktop - about 4 years old.

It uses a Seagate 7200 750 gig hard drive, If you need more specs I can find them on an external back up drive...

So about 2 weeks ago it would not boot into windows vista 64bit SerPack1.

I ran the quick diagnostics and it indicated nothing was wrong with my hd so I tried other things, but :

I could not repair or clean install Windows. I forget the error message but I tried several times and it just would not do it.

It also said I had no restore point although a month ago I happened to check and I had several restore points.

I tried everything I could think of and nothing worked to revive my computer.

I tried disconnecting everything and re-seated the hard drive and graphics card: that did not help.

I tried using my keyboard and mouse and monitor with this laptop and those work fine.

Finally I decided to run the COMPLETE diagnostic test and it says my System Board is fine.

But running the SATA Disk Read test right now and so far I have gotten about 5 of these errors:

At about 70% through the complete diagnostic the following errors were reported during Extended Test for Service Tag ******:
Read Test

SATA Disk S/N = 9QK242AZT Read Test :
ERROR CODE:
0F00:0232
Msg: Disk_0 - Block 3029247: interrupt request (IRQ) not sent in time

then:
Error Code
Msg: DISK_0 - block 3036415:Interrupt Request (IRQ) not sent in time

same as above but:
DISK_0 - Block 4164479: IRQ not sent in time

I have gotten several more so far adn it says it is testing block 09329280 of 1465149167.
Is there any reason to keep this test going?

Also previously I kept getting errors on the blue screen like "IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL".

I also got the error 9141 code 2000-0141 at one point and I think I recall that I also got error 0142 at one point.

Oh, I also tried re-loading drivers from the Dell Driver disk that came with it but it would not load some of them and anyway I couldn't figure out where the drivers were on the disk; I looked and looked the repair utility would only allow for files of type "set up information" or something like that, so I only found 2 files of that type. Ran 1 and it loaded okay, the other one would not.

Comments? Questions? Solutions?

My best guess is my hard drive has failed. Am I right? (If so I have some questions about what kind and type of hard drive I can use to replace it.)

Thanks for your help!

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

January 9th, 2014 18:00

Any SATA hard disk should work, but you'll have to reinstall Windows unless you image over the old drive, a possibly daunting prospect.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 13th, 2014 12:00

pdsnickles

Quote:

SATA Disk S/N = 9QK242AZT Read Test :

ERROR CODE:
Msg: Disk_0 - Block 3029247: interrupt request (IRQ) not sent in time

The hard drive that's showing the 0F00:0232 error is failing/failed, you need to replace it.

Bev.

71 Posts

January 9th, 2014 21:00

So, rdunnill, are you confirming that  the hard drive is dead, that this is the problem?
I assume so but i want verification if possible before I go buy a new one.

And are you saying that if I have a backup Image (such as from a Paragon backup image creator) that it will not be easy to take that image and install it on a new hard drive? I thought that was the whole idea of creating and storing one - that it was relatively simple to restore your programs, files, etc, that way. No?

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

January 9th, 2014 22:00

If you have an earlier image, restoring that should bring back Windows. I'm not familiar with Paragon, though.

71 Posts

January 11th, 2014 18:00

Can anyone CONFIRM that the info given here is indeed a hard drive problem and might not be something else?

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

January 11th, 2014 19:00

I encountered two problems like you describe that were due to failing power supplies, but this one could be the hard drive.

If it were me doing this, I'd be swapping in known good parts to isolate the problem, but not everyone has these parts to spare.

71 Posts

January 12th, 2014 16:00

Thanks for the feedback.

It amazes me that after all these years the morons at Microsoft still can't give you clear error messages that explain what is wrong when you get the blue screen errors.

Seems to me it shouldn't be that hard to run some diagnostics and then simply state what the problem is, in English.

Furthermore it would be nice if the Windows recovery tool would actually allow you to BROWSE and open repair files instead of just "set up information" files.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

January 12th, 2014 20:00

In my experience, hard drives are not lasting as long as they used to. It's an issue for hard drives in general, and is not limited to Dell. 

Come to think of it, I did have a bad hard drive in a brand new Precision 370 workstation, and weird problems like slow logins resulted; running the diagnostics found a bad sector, and my employer's tech department RMA'ed the drive for a new one and the problem was solved.

Note that Vista and later versions of Windows are much more sensitive to hardware errors than XP was.

71 Posts

January 13th, 2014 01:00

Well no one seems to be able to tell me based on Windows cryptic error messages whether my hard drive is dead or not.

But based on the diagnostics finding bad sectors (?) and the drive not being detected and not being able to get anywhere with the Recovery Disk - can't re-install or repair Vista, etc - I am assuming the hard drive is dead and buying a new one.

I'm going to start a new thread on this as I don't know if anyone will see it and respond here, but CAN I indeed re-install Windows Vista from the Dell Reinstallation DVD that came with my XP430?
I read in one place that I'll have to call Windows help to get a new key (the old one won't work), I read somewhere else that I'll have to call DELL for the new key, and somewhere else I read that neither will work and I'll have to buy a new copy of Vista.

Do you know which of the above is true?

71 Posts

January 13th, 2014 17:00

Thanks for your reply. Was pretty sure it is dead but just wanted some confirmation since I am new to this dead hard drive stuff. (In 25 years of computing this is my first dead internal hard drive!) I've used mostly Dells so that's a good stat.

71 Posts

January 13th, 2014 18:00

Yes I guess I HAVE been lucky when I think about it!

I tend to replace my computer every 4 - 5 years and who knows if it's good or bad - but it seems to have been good, I leave it on most of the day and turn it off every night.

And I don't play games - that's probably a factor that reduces the life of computers.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 13th, 2014 18:00

pdsnickles

Happy to have helped.

If this is your first internal hard drive failure in 25 years, you sure have been lucky. :emotion-2:

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 13th, 2014 20:00

pdsnickles

You are probably right, have always switch off all our systems at night, or when away from the house/office and pull the plugs from the outlets.

But, 2013 and so far 2014 has started off bad, 2013 cost us a new motherboard on a desktop and our router, seems like the underground phone lines took a hit and 2014 another desktop's PSU shorted out, was there and heard the loud 'pop', when it was switch on, it also took out the motherboard, just finished the repairs Wednesday, guess this was caused by me using a cheap XClio power supply while building the desktop, all the HD's were fine :emotion-9:

Ain't computers fun. :emotion-5:

Bev.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

January 14th, 2014 17:00

Thanks for your reply. Was pretty sure it is dead but just wanted some confirmation since I am new to this dead hard drive stuff. (In 25 years of computing this is my first dead internal hard drive!) I've used mostly Dells so that's a good stat.

Hard drives don't seem to be lasting as long as they used to; I replaced two last year and neither was more than three years old.

Dell doesn't make its own hard drives, so this is not a reflection on them.

71 Posts

January 14th, 2014 17:00

Another perhaps dumb question but hey I've never done this before so...

When I install the new hard drive, someone told me to add the drivers from  the Dell page re my XP430 one by one with system drivers first.

However, I plan to restore the programs etc of the broken drive through an image I took of it about a year ago.

So in that case, I do NOT have to add drivers at all, right? or do I?
Wouldn't the drivers be part of the image?
I'm not really sure as I have never used an image to restore before.

No Events found!