Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 1st, 2012 02:00

Hard drives whoas.....

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, I think I'm posting in the right area.  Well I have an optiplex 755 Desktop model; I had a couple laptop hard drives laying around and I decided double stack them with a silverstone caddy.  I just eliminated the floppy drive; well the pc works fine with a single hd, but when I hook up 2 hd's.  One for boot and the other for additional room, when I boot up and did the adjustments to the bios.  At this point  the 2 hd's are recognized but the next time I boot up I run in to some type of incompatibility error.

I would restart into bios  and suddenly I don't see the boot up drive.  I know the hd's work fine, because I tested them in another pc with the same type of setup.  Its like its picky, one time it will work fine then another time it won't.  I have the latest bios, all the hookups are fine; what gives?

Plus I have another question; is there a way to retro fit another power supply that has more wattage.  280 max seems pretty weak.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

March 1st, 2012 20:00

The reason for this error is that if outfitted with two drives, only WD and Samsung drives are supported - for reasons of heat:

support.dell.com/.../document

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

March 1st, 2012 16:00

Hi Dijadoit,

What's the exact error? If this a desktop or what form factor?

7 Posts

March 1st, 2012 20:00

Well its a Optiplex GX520 Desktop model made to laid horizontal, but can be put on its side vertically.  Uses those low profile video cards.   The only difference is the inside is a 755, the mobo, front i/o panel and ribbon cable.

The error would be "incompatible replacement harddrive", blah blah blah, please contact your dell technician.  Then still gives you option like "F1" to continue, "F2" go into bios, and another option.

7 Posts

March 1st, 2012 21:00

Ah, thanks for the info; lately I've been switching to using laptop HD's because of low heat and low power consumption.

No Events found!