Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 10th, 2009 21:00

Has anyone taken delivery of the New Studio XPS 435/8000/9000?

I have one on order with the delivery date of 4/1/09.  If anyone has been shipped theirs and had time to put it through it's paces, please comment on what you think. If not please post your expected ship dates so we will know who will be the first to comment!

Thanks!

4 Posts

April 14th, 2009 22:00

Never posted here before but I have been lurking in this discussion since I placed my order.  I'm actually a Mac user but I do own a PC which I have for multipurpose use (media server, file server, backup machine, web server, etc.).  My friend picked up the 435T recently and has been extremely happy with it.  He got his within 2 weeks of his order (last month).  I believe his had the 920, 6 GB RAM, CD/DVD Burner, ATI 4670.  I'd been thinking about replacing my Dell Precision 490 workstation for a few months and based on how happy he was with his, I decided to take the plunge.

Here's my configuration:

Studio XPS 435MT, Intel Core i7-920 processor(8MB L2 Cache 2.66GHz)
6GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1067MHz
Dell Consumer Multimedia Keyboard
ATI RADEON HD4670 512MB
750GB Serial ATA 2 Hard Drive 7200 RPM
Dell 19 in 1 Media Card Readerincluded in Dell Bluetooth Package
Blu-ray 6X BD-R, DVD+/-RW Drive with DVD+R double layer write capability
24" widescreen monitor

I ordered mine on 3/31 and my estimated ship date is 4/28.  4 weeks.  I've ordered many PCs and laptops from multiple manufacturers before (HP, Apple, Dell) and have NEVER experienced such ridiculous wait time for a build/shipment.  I've only been waiting 15 days so far and after reading through this discussion thread, I am appalled at how some of the folks here have been treated.  To place an order in Februrary and not have it in April is totally amazing to me.  The lack of communication and the cluelessness of customer service is pretty much so the norm nowadays but that doesn't excuse it IMO.  I know this is a really nice machine at a relatively good price and I'm sure it's worth some wait but come on.  I wonder how people who depend on their machines for day-to-day activities get by.  I can't imagine someone that depends on their PC for a home business having to wait like this.

9 Posts

April 15th, 2009 07:00

I think you've summed up the key reason this thread has grown like it has. It is primarily Dell's communication or lack of with its customers. We all know we are ordering the latest and greatest with these systems (435T or MT) i7, DDR3, Blu Ray, ATI Video, Large HD, etc. so there will be some delay. But to delay orders because of part delays and not give the customer options is inexcusable. It's my money, let me decide if I want a larger HD or different video card if it puts the system back on schedule. I have mentioned this on numerous threads and the Idea Storm area - the delay notices need to come with options.

Believe it or not on the Canadian Dell site we don't even get to see the "Preliminary Ship Date" information that is visible on the US Dell site, we are blind until you commit to your order. So I like most, assumed the standard 7-10 business day build - I'm getting mine today (exactly 1 month after ordering). Compared to most I should be happy but 1 month is terrible. You would think that Dell would want an ordered processed as fast as possible - they don't get money until it ships. If I had options emailed to me I would probably be more than willing to tweak the system to save a few weeks and Dell would get paid quicker.

IMO I wouldnt wait longer than 3 weeks for a build, and those people who got great deals and that's why you're delaying cancelling should check other places out or online coupons. HP is now offering the i7 and DDR3 memory, etc, Gateway has a system with the ATI video cards and i7 processor. These sytems may take a few weeks as well but they won't take 2 months. 30% savings on nothing is nothing, but that's just my opinion. I know I was on the phone yelling after 10 days. The current 17 day build time should be the max for a new system.

Good luck everyone, hopefully mine works when I start it up and the delay isn't foreshadowing of continued problems.

April 15th, 2009 08:00

It is one day before my projected ship date of 4/16 and I am still in the Build Stage.  I have not received an email, or any other type of communication for that matter, from Dell.  Should I assume that my order will be delayed or shipped on time?

thanks.  era.  www.playbackradio.com

1 Message

April 15th, 2009 10:00

First time poster, and had hoped to be an XPS 435MT owner but it was not to be.  I ordered my unit on 3/19.  Like some have reported, the delivery date switched during checkout.  After checkout delivery date was set to 4/22/09.  After checking my order status this morning, the delivery date showed 4/29/09.  No email from Dell though.  I decided I had enough and called the number posted in this thread to cancel (1-800-247-2076, option 2).  The customer service rep took the info, and in a minute came back and said that my order had already been cancelled........and he chuckled.   I said thank you and hung up...I chuckled at myself for waiting 4 weeks just to cancel an order that Dell wasn't going to bother to tell me I wasn't getting anyway.  I then took that annoying online survey that always pops up and let them know how I felt.

Thanks to all of you participating on this thread.  I have found a lot of useful information. I might try to buy again when there actually is product available from Dell.

jn

452 Posts

April 15th, 2009 11:00

I also noticed my delivery date moved from 4/22 to 4/29 this morning on the order status page.

When I called the 800 automated status it told me "Preparing your order to be shipped" !

I had to call it back because I couldn't believe it! After confirming this, I am in such a state of confusion and "utter bewilderment" . :emotion-42:

70 Posts

April 15th, 2009 11:00

I also noticed my delivery date moved from 4/22 to 4/29 this morning on the order status page.

When I called the 800 automated status it told me "Preparing your order to be shipped" !

I had to call it back because I couldn't believe it! After confirming this, I am in such a state of confusion and "utter bewilderment" . :emotion-42:

That's great news Jon!!

I also see a delay on my order status page of 4/29 (Have not received a delay email yet)......and I just called and I'm still in the boxing stage....grrrrr

Glad to hear yours has made progress!!

452 Posts

April 15th, 2009 12:00

Spiker,

Welcome, No I have not gotten mine but several have they are hanging out here: 435 .

The majority have expressed the unit is well worth the wait so hang in there my friend!

1 Message

Hi there,

Did you get your unit?  From my experiene...the expected delivery date isn't very accurate.   I am getting a huge run around and told parts aren't in...are they even shipping the XPS 435??

17 Posts

I just checked mine.  The Order Status page still says "In Production," but when I called the automated status line, it said that my order is in the "Build" stage, with an estimated ship date of 4/17.

That certainly makes me feel better than just the words, "In Production."

The automated status number, if you want it, is 1-800-433-9014.

Order Date: 4/7/2009 (Canceled order of 3/19/09)

Est. Delivery: 4/24/2009 (Original order est. delivery 4/16/09)

Processor: Intel Core i7-920 processor(8MB L2 Cache 2.66GHz)

Memory: 12GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz

Monitor: Dell Consumer 24 (S2409W)

Video Card: 1024MB ATI Radeon HD 4870 GDDR5

System Drive: 640GB Serial ATA 2 Hard Drive 7200 RPM

Operating System: Microsoft Windows Vista SP1 Ultimate 64-Bit

Audio Card: Soundblaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio

* removed *

452 Posts

April 15th, 2009 13:00

A

That's great news Jon!!

I also see a delay on my order status page of 4/29 (Have not received a delay email yet)......and I just called and I'm still in the boxing stage....grrrrr

Glad to hear yours has made progress!!

Angie,

I won't believe it till I get the tracking info!

By the way, I finally got a response from someone in the know about the added drives.

To all who ordered Raid configurations:

You CANNOT add a separate drive without configuring it as part of the raid array.

This means you must add the drive which during the process of incorporating it into the array, you lose all data and OS.

You must reinstall your operating system and basically start from scratch..

All safe back up options for raid0 will be external..

17 Posts

HOORAY!!!!!

My order shipped and I have the tracking number!! Too early to get any info on the carrier's site!

Summary, mine went from "build" to "preparing to be shipped" to "shipped"

No kitting, testing, boxing, etc., believe me I called several times everyday for status updates..

:emotion-1: :emotion-2: :emotion-46: :emotion-22: :emotion-21:

Congratulations!

Now you get to check the tracking number several times a day and track its path to your door....

452 Posts

HOORAY!!!!!

My order shipped and I have the tracking number!! Too early to get any info on the carrier's site!

Summary, mine went from "build" to "preparing to be shipped" to "shipped"

No kitting, testing, boxing, etc., believe me I called several times everyday for status updates..

:emotion-1: :emotion-2: :emotion-46: :emotion-22: :emotion-21:

* removed *

452 Posts

April 15th, 2009 14:00

No, the DR. has given me medication for my ISD (Insatiable Status Disorder). LOL.

I guess when I look at the big picture, 17 day delay wasn't too too bad.

If they only had a more detailed status reporting system.

I will forever remember Tax day" as a joyous occassion!

No Events found!