Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 10th, 2009 21:00

Has anyone taken delivery of the New Studio XPS 435/8000/9000?

I have one on order with the delivery date of 4/1/09.  If anyone has been shipped theirs and had time to put it through it's paces, please comment on what you think. If not please post your expected ship dates so we will know who will be the first to comment!

Thanks!

445 Posts

July 20th, 2009 11:00

As I posted in a previous thread, the only way I got anything done was e-mail the person who I actually ordered the computer from in the first place. He said they didn't have direct access to supply hangups, but could find a away to get it, which he did. You might try that. I know people who have dealt with Dell for years and have never had a problem. It is just lately and on the higher end computers that seem to have all kind of problems. Good luck and hang in there as I know once you get the computer you will really like it.

Wayne

4 Posts

July 20th, 2009 12:00

Thanks, Wayne.  Unfortunately, I configured and purchased the computer online without the help of a single soul, so that route won't work for me.  It's just as well, though - I don't know how much I would trust any given answer anyway, since things seem to change all the time.  I'm just a typical customer who wants his new machine or least wants to be able to trust  the estimated delivery date.  I'm learning to stop refreshing my order status every 30 minutes and to enjoy my low credit card bill while I can.  I keep trying to convince myself that I'll get the darn thing eventually and that I should just chill out.  Hard though, when you're upgrading from a 2.53 Ghz single-core P4!

89 Posts

July 21st, 2009 14:00

thorphin: Based on my experience, and what others have posted, I would advise you to not take any delivery info on the Dell site seriously. Use it as a guide, it can be very misleading and confusing, and usually you end up being very frustrated. Dell's system for tracking of the building and shipping of their systems is a big joke.

If you want the computer, you have only one option, be patient and hope that when it eventually comes, it is trouble-free!

So far I'm happy with mine. Good Luck with yours!

37 Posts

July 22nd, 2009 18:00

Out of curiosity, have any 435T owners been able to burn a DVD with Pinnacle Studio 12 without continuously getting the BSOD? Apparently there is some kind of a configuration  issue with the 435T and Studio 12 that causes a BSOD when choosing to burn the DVD. Anyone have any luck with this and what kind of work around did you employ to get Studio 12 to work? Thanks in advance.

4 Posts

July 22nd, 2009 21:00

Yeah, their system clearly needs work.  Joy of joys though - it looks like my system shipped today.  Fedex isn't showing it in motion yet... but I'm sure that'll update tomorrow.  Fedex is reporting that delivery should be on Friday, the 24th, putting me back up to Dell's second estimated delivery date.  The order status page still claims 7/31 as an estimate, though - go figure.

Hoping that things work out of the box, but if not, sounds like a format and reinstall from Vista DVD will be in order.

11 Posts

July 22nd, 2009 23:00

Just to update my situation Talked to Dell And the parts are still backorderd so they told me to send the 435 mt back and they will send a new system like or an upgrade to what i have now...  Has anybody experienced this?

9 Posts

July 23rd, 2009 04:00

Yeah, their system clearly needs work.  Joy of joys though - it looks like my system shipped today.  Fedex isn't showing it in motion yet... but I'm sure that'll update tomorrow.  Fedex is reporting that delivery should be on Friday, the 24th, putting me back up to Dell's second estimated delivery date.  The order status page still claims 7/31 as an estimate, though - go figure.

Hoping that things work out of the box, but if not, sounds like a format and reinstall from Vista DVD will be in order.

thorphin - my 435T originally showed a ETA of July 15th, it arrived far sooner than estimated.  I believe that Dell subscribes to what I call the "miracle worker method' (refering to Star Trek's "Chief Engineer Montgomery Scott" and his doubling of estimates.  ;)

As for the backlog on replacement parts?  It is not uncommon for parts for a build process (for completed, deliverable product) to be allocated for the production line, and an entirely different inventory of parts allocated specifically for the purposed of repair and replacement.  In this way, Dell is more easily able to monitor and track assets designated for new product, vs. assets designated specifically for repair/replacement under warranty.

I hope everything works out for all concerned.

Cheers,

Spence

4 Posts

July 25th, 2009 14:00

Well, my system finally arrived!  It showed up on Friday morning , 7/24, just a little under 3 weeks after order date.  7/24 was Dell's 2nd estimated ship date, a week ahead of their 3rd estimated ship date.  FYI, Fedex tracking went straight from "anticipated shipment date" for two days to "At Fedex Location" in my town.  I was worried because it didn't show that Fedex had the package or transported it anywhere until it was actually here.

Everything seems to be in good shape!

Just to blow your mind, I have Bios A011.  No ATI Control Center craziness.  2nd CD-drive eject button is "soft", meaning it doesn't provide tactile feedback once you press it, but I don't believe this is a bezel issue.  It seems to open just fine.  Quiet, compared to my old 8250, but a bit louder than my wife's Inspiron 530, depending on what I'm doing.  Only issue I've had is mysqld.exe taking over 100% of the CPU.  I think it's related to Dell's Remote Access application.  I was able to disable it from startup using msconfig, and things seem to run fine now (haven't tried Remote Access, though).

Here's a tip.  If you decide to add a hard drive, lie the computer on its side, as the service manual directs.  Otherwise, it's really easy (ahem) to drop a screw and get it stuck in between the metal case and the bottom plastic piece.  You may (ahem) spend an hour trying to get it out without shaking the computer *too* much.

Thanks for letting me air out my pre-delivery frustration.  It's good to know both that others have issues and also that things eventually turn up!

34 Posts

July 30th, 2009 17:00

Wayne my 9 year old compaq is still working with Windows XP. Motherboard on my XPS Studio 435 Died and that was after replacing the HD and Card Reader. I exchanged it for a XPS 430 and purchased the ATI 4850 1Gb Memory Card. It came with the 3650 which was too slow. I am well pleased with the 430 XPS. It came with a faster Burner than the XPS 435 Which means it does what I do most faster than the XPS Studio 435.     Sorry you are having so many problems with your 435T. I thought that would be a trouble free computer Wayne.  Mine was the 435 MT (Mini Tower).    Bill

445 Posts

July 30th, 2009 17:00

I have a question for those of you who have the 435T with the 4870 graphics card. Are you having any trouble with them? The reason I ask is because I have had two 435Ts,my original and it's replacement that have both had bad video cards. The first one wouldn't work right out of the box and the second one lasted 5 weeks before it started making a clunking noise, the temp would jump up into the mid 80c at idle. The fan would then go full blast and after a couple of those the card died. The card specs call for a 500 watt power supply the 345T has a 475 watt. I was told that Dell underestimates their power supplies and not to worry, but I am beginning  to wonder. When I talked to Dell's tech support to get a new card sent to me, the tech said they could only send me the 4870 as that's how it was originally ordered. The computer has always been in a air conditioned room @ 72 degrees and the speed fan monitor program has always shown everything in the green, so heat was never a problem. They said I would have the new card in 2 business days. If I have any problems with this one I think I will go the lemon law route, get my money back and buy something that works and I can depend on like this 7 year old Compaq computer am using to write this on which has never had one problem in those 7 years.

Thanks

Wayne

445 Posts

July 30th, 2009 18:00

Thanks for the info Bill. I may end up doing something like you did if I keep having trouble. My thought was getting the 4850 instead of the 4870, but was told I couldn't. So I will just have to wait and see what happens. Now I know I am not the only one having trouble with the 435T. Engineering must have been smoking some very good stuff when the set the 435T up and tested it. Will let you know what comes out of this.

Wayne

445 Posts

July 31st, 2009 13:00

Update:  One very positive thing I can say about Dell is they get replacement parts to you very fast. I called their tech support about the graphics card problem yesterday morning at 9:15 AM PST and received  the new card this AM at 9:05, less then 24 hours. I installed the new card and everything came right up. Now I have my fingers crossed that this one will last more than 5 weeks. After looking at other web sites and blogs, I don't see many problems at all with the 4870 card so guess I was just snake bit twice and this may be the end of my problems.

Wayne

34 Posts

July 31st, 2009 21:00

Wayne that is so true. I receive my HD and Card Reader very fast. Bill

11 Posts

August 4th, 2009 23:00

Well i received my replacement 435 mt yesterday so far it's good.:emotion-21:. Now to call customer service and get a return authorization for the other one

445 Posts

August 5th, 2009 07:00

Just a suggestion: Have them e-mail you all the necessary return labels for FedEx or UPS. Print them out and attach to the box and make sure you keep copies so you will have a tracking number to see when Dell receives the unit back. Make sure to keep a receipt from the drop off point.  Much faster that way and less chance of mistakes.

Wayne

No Events found!