Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 10th, 2009 21:00

Has anyone taken delivery of the New Studio XPS 435/8000/9000?

I have one on order with the delivery date of 4/1/09.  If anyone has been shipped theirs and had time to put it through it's paces, please comment on what you think. If not please post your expected ship dates so we will know who will be the first to comment!

Thanks!

11 Posts

October 14th, 2009 12:00

if you don't mind me asking did you go all out, ordering your pc with all the bells and whistles or is it standard.  Im just wondering because I went basic myself because I can get everything else cheaper than whats on dell's website.  Im thinking since I ordered mines basic that it should come right away too :emotion-1:

26 Posts

October 14th, 2009 17:00

Don't know if this is all out or basic, but upgrades were 1T HDD, a Blu Ray player (not Blu Ray burner), 12 GB of memory and the nVidia 260 video card.

11 Posts

October 14th, 2009 18:00

yea thats upgraded way past mines, but that looks like good luck for the rest of us though.. thanks for letting us know.. by the way i ordered the bottom of the barrel x9000 hoping to get it faster, i figured they'd have one like that just sitting around.  But i was wrong.

21 Posts

October 14th, 2009 20:00

I will jjon90 the machine seems to be just OK, I do need another MB to bring out the i7 975 EE. The MB that is in the 9000 is fair not great, I knew this already before I purchased the system. I got a great price for what I have so can not complain. I just hope everyone else does not have the problems right out of the box like I have been experiencing. I think if I was new to computers I would be lost. Good luck to everyone on your Machine and if I can help anyone I will give it my best. Take Care.

452 Posts

October 15th, 2009 09:00

Dremmie,

IMHO it is worth the wait. I had a laptop to get me by while I waited. I'm so glad I did, the machine rocks!

2 Posts

October 15th, 2009 09:00

I ordered a basic Studio XPS 9000 on 10/10/09 and had an expected delivery date of 11/11/09.  The only thing I really changed was the video card.  I Found this thread shortly after placing my order and began to worry about a long delay on my system.  Today my fears came true, I received a call from dell.  The man told me that the manufacturing department requested an extension on the delivery date, but he could not give me an updated date just yet, but could take my email and let me know that way when they released a new date.

I wonder why they are still experiencing delays on these systems after the demand became known.  I am now deciding if I should cancel my order and order somewhere else.  I am operating without a desktop because of a motherboard failure, and I hate to think of how long I will be waiting.

For those of you that waited extended times for your computers, is it worth the wait?

Thanks

Studio XPS 9000

3GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz

Nvidia GeForce GTX 260

500GB Serial ATA 2 Hard Drive 7200 RPM

16X DVD+/-RW

36 Posts

October 15th, 2009 10:00

Dremmie,

Yes, it's worth the wait providing you get a machine that is problem free. I've been fortunate that the 9000 that arrived has been quite stable and hardware error free. As far as canceling the order, I'm not sure if you could do that at this juncture. If you ordered it; your CC have been charged and it's in the manufacturing stage, I don't think you can cancel. if you don't want the machine, you'd need to notify Dell of your choice and then refuse the machine when delivered. The machine will be returned to Dell and then you await the credit on your card. If someone has other thoughts or this is incorrect, then please provide the proper information.

100 Posts

Technically, I think Dell puts a "hold" on your CC when you order which releases after X days/weeks.  At one point I called and there was a charge, but after a couple of weeks, it was released.

The "real" charge for me occurred a day after it (so-called) "shipped".

Note: When your systems says "shipped", that actually means "we sent your tracking-number to FedEx, and your PC is sitting in our warehouse".  Expect FedEx tracking information to sit idle for several days before it really moves.

Dremmie,

Yes, it's worth the wait providing you get a machine that is problem free. I've been fortunate that the 9000 that arrived has been quite stable and hardware error free. As far as canceling the order, I'm not sure if you could do that at this juncture. If you ordered it; your CC have been charged and it's in the manufacturing stage, I don't think you can cancel. if you don't want the machine, you'd need to notify Dell of your choice and then refuse the machine when delivered. The machine will be returned to Dell and then you await the credit on your card. If someone has other thoughts or this is incorrect, then please provide the proper information.

100 Posts

Ordered 9/11, received 10/2.  Not an extended wait by today's standards.  Ordered mine "stripped", back when it was $850.  I watched this thread *before* I bought, and could tell that things were settled-down from earlier in the year.  Immediately after I ordered, I started seeing long delays again.  I ordered during a "slow period".

I'm very happy with my system.  I really wanted to go back to "building my own", but couldn't touch the price.

When you get yours, just note that the CD/DVD drive may not be intuitive.  To open/close it, there is a thin sliver of plastic on the side of the bevel, with 3 dots, that hinges-in when you press it.  Very nice, but if you try and push the drive's button (like I did), you'll get "no joy" since you can't get to it...

For those of you that waited extended times for your computers, is it worth the wait?

2 Posts

Update on the XPS 9000 systems:

Comments: This system was oversold and resulted in part shortages. - Studio XPS 435T/9000 Lead-time extended 15 -20 days Multiple shortages ETA for recovery – end of October Orders will be fulfilled on a FIFO basis

I received this in email from my Dell rep.  This does not look good!  I do have the chance to change my order.  Good Luck to everyone else waiting, I hope you got yours before the "multiple shortages".

7 Posts

October 15th, 2009 15:00

Sorry to hear about all of you guys waiting around for your systems to arrive. I ordered a XPS 8000 Oct 1, and it's still in the build stage. It has an estimated ship date of 10/22... so we will see! As for why Dell calls asking for an extension is because they have to by law or they cancel your order. It's called a 30-day rule or something.

I have a couple questions though, maybe someone can answer.

When I ordered my computer a 19-in-1 card reader was an option (at like $70), so I opted no. But, not even 12 hours later it became an included option. Do you think mine will come with it?

Also, a lot of the options I upgraded to such as 750g hard drive, video card, even memory are all standard now. Heck, I can even get a monitor now included for less than what I was quoted for. I understand that is how technology and these companies work, but is there any room for a price adjustment? I will admit I did get a good deal for what I am waiting to get, but now I can get even more and at a better price than what I paid for 2 weeks ago!

If no price adjustment, I am kind of hoping they try to extend my ship date so I can cancel it and just reorder it at a better price.

6 Posts

October 16th, 2009 13:00

I received my XPS  9000 on 10/14. It took a month after order.I purchased an upgraded video card (GTS 240) and the XFI Titanium sound card., maybe that slowed the delivery, I don't know.  Easy to set up.I had it unpacked and running in about 1 hour.It is a big box and about 2 inches longer than the shelf on my computer desk.  No major issues so far. A couple of my programs that I was running on my old XP system are not compatable with Vista. I transfered  most of the files I wanted to keep from my old system using the Belkin cable. Overall I am very satisfied.

11 Posts

October 16th, 2009 15:00

ordered Sep25th, estimated ship date Oct.16th..... Dell order status info saaaaaaayssss...... still in production:emotion-40: .  So I celebrate the good ole' customer service of dell corps **kudos**

4 Posts

October 16th, 2009 15:00

Ordered mine 9/18/09 After one delay it was shipped Today supposed to get it 10/20/09

7 Posts

October 16th, 2009 16:00

Did you check exactly where it is at "in production", whether its still in build or testing phase?

That's really suprizing since you ordered a bare bones machine...

No Events found!