Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

October 8th, 2008 05:00

Has the XPS 420 RAID problem been fixed?

As a new owner of an XPS 420 i've just noticed quite a few threads related to RAID problems with this model.

This is disappointing as i was planning to upgrade to RAID 0 when finances permit.

So... has the problem been resolved by Dell?

Is it a RAID controller problem that occurs with any brand of drive or is it a problem only with specific drives? I see references to issues with Samsung drives needing a firmware update. Perhaps those exasberated the RAID problems?

My XPS has a Hitachi 500Gb drive. Are there any reported RAID problems with this drive and/or Seagate 7200.11 models (320 and 500Gb).

799 Posts

October 8th, 2008 13:00

@CustomPC wrote:

As a new owner of an XPS 420 i've just noticed quite a few threads related to RAID problems with this model.

This is disappointing as i was planning to upgrade to RAID 0 when finances permit.

So... has the problem been resolved by Dell?

Is it a RAID controller problem that occurs with any brand of drive or is it a problem only with specific drives? I see references to issues with Samsung drives needing a firmware update. Perhaps those exasberated the RAID problems?

My XPS has a Hitachi 500Gb drive. Are there any reported RAID problems with this drive and/or Seagate 7200.11 models (320 and 500Gb).

As of yesterday, when I contacted Dell support about this very issue, I was advised that the XPS420 had no Raid0 issues and if I had problems, it must be my fault.

Do a Google search and you will find hundreds of hits on this.

I have had 3 XPS420 systems with this issue and yet Dell refuses to address it, only to put the blame on me.

I don't use it now, due to OS corruption even though the primary purpose for this system was to use Raid0.

I even submitted 2 unresolved issues request and Dell refuses to even reply to my request.

Hope this helps.

Message Edited by Hanspuppa on 10-08-2008 09:07 AM

4 Posts

October 8th, 2008 18:00

We bought two XPS420s from Dell back in February, both with a pair of Samsung drives configured as Raid 0. One of the PCs failed with the raid 0 problem in the first week or so and Dell did not help very much (see my posts in another thread).  However since then and having applied all of the updates for the XPS420 there have been no problems (fingers, toes and everything else crossed) with either machine. 

XPS420
2.4GHz Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600
3GB DDR2 RAM @ 667MHz
8800GT
2*512GB SATA Raid 0

CA200 Memory card reader (no Bluetooth)
Vista Premium w/SP1

89 Posts

October 8th, 2008 19:00

Hey,

I get my XPS420 in January this year with Samsung drives.

After two weeks with lots of Raid 0 errors Dell changed the drives in Hitachi.

Now i have the last months a super stable PC without any issues :-)

Execpt the Monitor is gone and I wait now !!!three!!! weeks for a replacement.

But this is a different story :-)

In the meantime I bought a Samsung 22" TFT that will be here nex week.

What I know is, that after Dell give out the FW update for the Samsung drives most of the Raid 0 related issues are gone.

Don´t forget to install the latest drivers and the Bios update as well :-)

Model and Size of my HDD you find in my Sig.

Hope that help :-)

cu

dschieses

Message Edited by dschieses on 10-08-2008 03:48 PM

10 Posts

October 8th, 2008 19:00

Thanks Gentlemen,

Can you tell me what make/model/size drives you have in your Raid Array(s).

As i said above, almost every thread that i've seen seems to relate to Samsung drives failing in the RAID array. I see that dell released a "critical" firmware upgrade for the Samsung drives and interestingly my XPS 420 was shipped with a Hitachi drive.

Perhaps there was a compatibility issue with the RAID controller and Samsung drives and the firmware update or using another brand will fix it.

Message Edited by CustomPC on 10-08-2008 03:27 PM
No Events found!