Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

JH

November 29th, 2016 04:00

Hdmi-in port

I have a Dell Inspirion 24-5000 all-in-one desktop that according to the specs has an Hdmi-in port on the back.  Try as I might I can't find any info on how to use this. There are plenty of articles on Hdmi-out but none on Hdmi-in.  Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

December 1st, 2016 01:00

Hi Jesse,

Please connect the source to HDMI IN port and check if the Inspiron 5459 is detected. 

Also, connect the system with HDMI IN source and switch ON the system to make it work has external display.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

December 1st, 2016 11:00

HDMI-IN is used to connect the PC to an external device like an Xbox or DVD or BluRay player, etc. so you can use the Inspiron's screen as a display.

You may also have an HDMI-OUT that is used to connect the Inspiron to a second monitor or TV.

4 Posts

December 8th, 2016 11:00

I have finally figured it out.  On the right side of my Inspiron 24-5459 all-in-one computer there are 4 buttons near the bottom of the display.  The top 2 are for brightness control, the next one down is a Screen-off button and the bottom one is the Power button.  To switch to hdmi-in you have to push the Screen-off button for about 1 second, by doing this I was able to cycle between the PC display, Hdmi-in and Screen-off.  If you download the Inspiron 24-5459 reference guide you can see what I'm talking about.  The reference manual doesn't mention anything about this and it should because I'm sure I'm not the only one that has found this confusing.

4 Posts

December 8th, 2016 11:00

I have connected both a blu-ray player and my xbox one s to the HDMI-in port and nothing happens. I've  tried rebooting several times and different cables and still nothing.  How do I check to see if my 5459 is detected?

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

December 8th, 2016 12:00

No offense, but sure you're connecting to the HDMI-IN, which appears to be below the HDMI-OUT ?

With either the blu-ray or xBox connected and powered on, turn on the PC and let it boot to the desktop. Then you may have to press the "Screen" button, which is right above the Power button on the right edge.  You may have to press Screen several times, with a pause in between, to see if you can cycle it to accept input from the HMDI box.  

If that doesn't work, there may be an on-screen-display (OSD) menu that lets you choose an external HDMI source.  I don't see anything in the online manual about accessing an OSD

Maybe Dell-Ravi can provide you with more info...

4 Posts

December 11th, 2016 17:00

It would have saved a lot of frustration on my part if Dell had said something about it in the documentation.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

December 11th, 2016 17:00

Didn't see you last post before I posted about the Screen button. Glad you got it sorted now.

I assumed the Screen button would do the trick...

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

December 11th, 2016 22:00

Agreed!

No Events found!