Highlighted
Vintagejet
1 Copper

Headset and microphone doesn't work - any tips?

Hi, I have a d9150 with a Creative SB xF-1 soundcard. I have tried to use my headset/microphone with the PC, but I don't seem to be able to get sound in headset or be able to speak via the microphone. To get a reaction in the microphone I need to almost shout...

I also have speakers connected, so if I use an external microphone this creates an immense echo while speaking.

Does anyone have a tip on how to make it possible to use the headset/microphone...?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
7 Plutonium

Re: Headset and microphone doesn't work - any tips?

First, is the headset designed for PC's.  e.g. one designed for a telephone will not work or work properly  with a PC. 

Second you should plug the headset into the front panel headphone jack and on models with a "mic" jack on the front panel you can plug that into the front panel mic jack.  If yours only has the front panel headphone jack you will need an extension cable for the mic portion so you can plug it in to the mic jack on the rear of the PC.  When you use the front panel headphone jack it automatically mutes the speakers.

Finally, there are volume controls and mute options in the Volume control panel for the microphone.  Check those settings.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Dell Inspiron 15 - 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with ASUS ROG Z170, i7 6700K CPU

Windows 10 64 bit Pro and Windows 10 Insider Program Beta Versions. SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.1 Recordng Studio Software.

Dell S2719dgf Monitor

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

0 Kudos
Vintagejet
1 Copper

Hi and thank you for the answer. Have a few comments:

1. The headset/microphone is a Sennheiser set designed for PC use
2. The set is connected to the font jacks of the PC
3. I have to manually turn of the speakers to hear sound (still only a very vague reaction on the microphone)
4. There is no settings om mute for either headset or microphone
5. Volumesettings have been checked and corrected

Conclusion: I can hear through the headset after turning off the speakers, but not able to speak through the microphone.

Will appreciate tips concering the use of the microphone.
0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

There are two sets of volume controls, in the Volume Control Panel.  One is for "playback/listening" and another set is for recording.  Perhaps the "record" control for the mic is muted or the volume control slider is in the down (off) position.  Check that.

The headset should automatically mute the speakers, if the speakers are connected correctly to the sound card.  Doublecheck to make sure the speakers are connected correctly (e.g. to the speaker out jack not the "Line Out").  Also some sound cards require a speaker selection, and make sure that is also set correctly.  e.g. if you have 2.1 speakers (two small speakers and a bass woofer) make sure that is selected.  There are some speaker selections for headphone only but you should not have to select that with the Dell OEM sound cards as the front panel headphone jack (with speaker disconnection) is a custom Dell function.    The speaker setup is normally in the Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices. 

If these suggestions do not help, it's best to contact Dell since it's a new system under warranty.

Message Edited by fireberd on 04-14-200601:22 PM

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Dell Inspiron 15 - 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with ASUS ROG Z170, i7 6700K CPU

Windows 10 64 bit Pro and Windows 10 Insider Program Beta Versions. SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.1 Recordng Studio Software.

Dell S2719dgf Monitor

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

0 Kudos
paradroid27
1 Copper

I have the same setup, Had the same problems with speakers not auto muting.
Go to Creative in Start menu,  All Programs, Choose Sound Blaster X-Fi and look for Creative Audio Console,
There is an option there labeled "Headphone Detection"
Click on "Automatically Mute Speakers"
For some silly reason, this seems to be off by default!

Still looking for the mike issue.

Hope this helps.
0 Kudos
rmgilmour
1 Copper

RE: Headset and microphone doesn't work - any tips?

My microphone auto-mutes.  I've tried everything on every forum I can find and I am out of options.  Does anyone know of a fix to stop the microphone from auto-muting?  I have Windows 7 professional.  There is no svchost.exe.  Please help.

0 Kudos