Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 20th, 2009 12:00

Help :[ Dell Inspiron 531 + Vista: Which Nforce drivers should I be using? Latest updates?

I like to keep my computer up-to-date, but I'm fairly new to this and I'm not sure which Nforce drivers to get for my Dell Inspiron 531. From what I understand, I'm supposed to get Nforce4 drivers, but there are so many to choose from on the Nvidia site, and I don't know which I specifically need for my PC. I want to have the newest version of the drivers, but I don't know which of these Nforce drivers I need.

Also, I have an ATI Radeon HD 4850 GPU in my computer, but I'm not sure if the integrated graphics are turned on or off. I checked the bios, but there was no option to turn it off. Does it just automatically turn off when it detects a graphics card?

I know I probably sound like I'm asking for too much and being a pain, but are there any specific updates to drivers for my Inspiron 531 that I should be looking for? I know the Dell site has some, but I don't trust that they're up-to-date.

Thanks in advance :emotion-2:

14.4K Posts

January 20th, 2009 16:00

for your nforce go HERE

For the video question, look in the bios under the PCI/PNP configuration section if there is nothing changeable then the bios will sense the card and disable the onbord.

Bios updates should always be gotten from Dell. Your sound card if installed and video drivers you should go to the vendors web site for the latest drivers.

3 Posts

January 20th, 2009 16:00

Thank you very much for the reply, I appreciate it. :emotion-1:

Just one question about the Nforce4 drivers. The link that you provided doesn't mention Windows Vista, so is it ok if I install these on my Vista machine? Or is there a Vista version I should be looking for? If so, I don't know where to find the appropriate Vista drivers, haha. It's all confusing for me since there are so many versions. Thanks.

14.4K Posts

January 20th, 2009 17:00

Sorry

Looks like this is the one you need  

Or this one.

But here is my best advice. Doing more research seem so indicate that neither one of these is any newer than the one you currently have. While both of these linked drivers appear to be for your system I myself would not worry about installing either one as the closest thing on the Dell site is dated around the same time. If you try to install these drivers and because Dell does modify their drivers they are not compatable you will end up with having to reload your OS, because it will not boot into windows.

1 Message

March 22nd, 2009 10:00

I bought and installed a 1.5TB hard drive. The drive would hang at 73% complete (about 1TB). The Sata controller is part of the nVidia nForce4 set. I tried the two drivers posted on Dell (159175 and 152143) but they failed to fix the problem. I emailed nVidea and they pointed me to the correct driver. The 15.25 works great!

Hope that helps!

Inspiron 531

AMD Athlon 64 x2 5600+ Brisbane 2.9Ghz

ASUS M2N61-AX

BIOS 1.0.13

4GB DDR2 667

WD 250GB

WD 1.5TB

**Here is the nVidia response & link to the sata driver:

Normal 0 MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 Thank you for contacting NVIDIA Customer Care. The Windows Vista in the box drivers had compatibility issues with large sized SATA hard drives. If you have not updated your nForce drivers yet, we suggest doing so. Here is a URL to just the nForce SATA driver update. Before installing these drivers, we recommend updating your motherboard BIOS to the latest version to make sure all hardware fixes are also updates on your motherboard. Afterwards, download and install the driver below:

http://nvidia.s3.amazonaws.com/nforce_vista_10.30.46.zip

The file is a zip file however after you have unzipped the contents, you will find a "setup.exe" file which you can run and the Installshield wizard will walk you through the installation process.

Best Regards,
Manuel
NVIDIA Customer Care

6 Posts

October 22nd, 2009 20:00

Hi,

I ran into similar problem when I bought Seagate Barracuda 1.5 TB SATA drive for my Inspiron 531.  Windows Vista 32-bit was unable to format the last partition that goes beyond 1 TB.  I then tried Linux based Gparted Live self boot utility to partition and format the drive. That worked well.  But Vista still had trouble accepting the last partition.

I had earlier upgrated all the drivers including Bios, nVidia and sound from Dell's site.  Still no improvement. Too bad Dell has not kept the nVidia drivers up-to-date. 

Inspiron 531

Processor, Athlon 64X2 For Desktops, 5000+, 2.6, 1MB, 2C 65W, G2

ASUS M2N61-AX

BIOS 1.0.13

3GB DDR2 667

Vista 32-bit

The above link to nVidia's driver is no longer valid.

Any suggestions?  Any one knows the model for the nVidia nForce driver?

Would really appreciate any help!  I am getting desperate!

Oace

No Events found!