rednikita
1 Nickel

Help?? I just add a new CPU and now fan sounds louder and faster, is this going to be a problem?

Jump to solution

So I just added 3 gb of RAM and a new intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66 GHz CPU to my XPS 410. I used Arctic silver thermal compound on the original heatsink and new processor. Closed it up booted it up and I am using it this very minute.  I cleaned off the fan and air vents with pressurized air.  The Problem is that now, what i assume is the fan, is blowing loudly and sounds like it running faster than usual. Is this a normal occurrence?  Is this indicative of a pending problem?  If it is indicative of pending issues what do you think went wrong with the installing process and what do i do to fix it?????

0 Kudos
7 Replies
7 Plutonium

Re: Help?? I just add a new CPU and now fan sounds louder and faster, is this going to be a problem?

Jump to solution

With the new CPU and added RAM, you have increased the heat in the PC.  How much? but it is an increase.  Although I don't usually suggest BIOS updates, since you have upgraded the CPU, make sure you have the latest BIOS version.  One caution on the BIOS update, follow the instructions exactly as a failed and corrupted BIOS and your ONLY option is to replace the motherboard.

One thing to check, however, is the thermal compound (there is a compound manufacturers correct procedure for applying the compound) and whether the heatsink is making proper contact.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Dell Inspiron 15 - 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with ASUS ROG Z170, i7 6700K CPU

Windows 10 64 bit Pro and Windows 10 Insider Program Beta Versions. SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.1 Recordng Studio Software.

Dell S2719dgf Monitor

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

rednikita
1 Nickel

Re: Help?? I just add a new CPU and now fan sounds louder and faster, is this going to be a problem?

Jump to solution

Thanks for responding....

I have the latest BIOS for Windows Vista. I updated that before I installed all the new hardware. I am sure i did the arctic silver correctly (it's only a horizontal line the size of a grain of rice).  I just wasn't expecting this increased fan noise. Really wondering if other people experience this and if it's a  common (non-problematic) side effect of increasing the hardware.

0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

Jump to solution

I used the Arctic Silver on my Q6600 and I have more than the one line on mine.  My Q6600 runs in the mid 30's to around 40 deg C most of the time.

I am not a Dell Employee

Windows 10 64 bit Pro and Windows 10 Insider Program Beta Versions. SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.1 Recordng Studio Software.

Dell S2719dgf Monitor

0 Kudos
rednikita
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I added more thermal compound and now it's working beautifully!! Thanks all!!!

0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

Jump to solution

Cool.  Please mark my response as the answer, thanks.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell S2719dgf Monitor

0 Kudos
Highlighted
rednikita
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I did already! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
gus2144
2 Iron

Jump to solution

try reseating the ram

what cpu did you have before?

the fan might be running higher because of more power in the cpu!

0 Kudos