Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 3rd, 2016 19:00

Help! I received the blue screen of death and reboot and select proper device or boot media with a buzzing noise.

I have a dell Inspiron one 2320 with windows 7. This happened yesterday. It was fine early in the day but when I came home a few hours later there was the blue screen with wording. I've gotten this before but my computer always booted to windows with no issues. However, I turn it on and repeatedly got the select proper device message. I did try a disk that took me to dos but that was about it.

Here's the thing. I was told the buzzing sound was that my hard drive is dead. Is this true? My computer is only 3 years old so this is very surprising to me.

So are there any solutions to this besides getting a new hard drive that someone can suggest and if I do need a new hard drive, what would be the best choice, a new hard drive or a new computer?

February 4th, 2016 05:00

Hi, 

Thanks for writing to us. 

Few troubleshooting steps we would like to try before proceeding further. 

Please go to f2 menu if the machine allows and let us know if the system is detecting the hard drive and also check the boot sequence.

Does the machine brings up the advanced boot menu when you tap on f8, if yes, can you check if the machine loads into safemode?

Also try to enter the f12 menu and select diagnostics and complete the test. 

Should you have a spare hard drive , please try the same and let us know how it goes. 

Regards

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

February 4th, 2016 11:00

F8 should be tapped until the boot menu comes up.

Then select Repair Your computer.

This however will  not fix a physically damaged hard drive.

So I did the diagnostics and it said everything was fine. However, for hard drive results it showed N/A.

I went to the boot sequence and it shows the 1st boot priority is the Hard Disk. I also tapped on f8 and nothing happened.

Nothing happens when I tap f8. All I can push is F2 and f12

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

February 4th, 2016 12:00

Then your drive is physically damaged and or you need to reinstall.

The F8 is not specific to Dell its Windows 7.

No such menu in windows 8 10.

There are no soft fixes for physically damaged hard drives.

Your bootrec has been destroyed.

The methods below ONLY work if the drive is not PHYSICALLY Damaged: 

Method 1: Startup Repair from the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE)

============================================

1. Insert the Windows 7 installation disc into the disc drive, and then start the computer. 

2. Press F2 F12 F2 F12 F2 F12 F2 F12 key to get the boot menu. Press Enter when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …". appears.

3. Select a language, a time and currency, and a keyboard or input method, and then click Next. 

4. Click Repair your computer

5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next. 

6. At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on Repair your computer.

7. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.

8. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Startup Repair.

Refer the following link for more information:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-are-the-system-recovery-options-in-Windows-7

To know more about “Startup Repair” visit the following link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Startup-Repair-frequently-asked-questions

Method 2: Rebuild BCD using the Bootrec.exe tool

To run the Bootrec.exe tool, you must start Windows RE. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Put the Windows Vista or Windows 7 installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer.

2. Press a key when you are prompted. Select a language, a time, a currency, a keyboard or an input method, and then click Next.

3. Click Repair your computer.

4. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.

5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.

6. Type Bootrec.exe, and then press ENTER.

Refer the following link for more information:

How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

Method 3: Use the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) to run System Restore

1. Insert the Windows 7 installation disc into the disc drive, and then start the computer. 

2. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …". appears.

3. Select a language, a time and currency, and a keyboard or input method, and then click Next. 

4. Click Repair your computer. 

5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next 

6. At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on System Restore.

7. Follow the System Restore Wizard instruction as usual and choose the appropriate restore point.

8. Click Finish to restore the system.

To know more about “System Restore” visit the following link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/System-Restore-frequently-asked-questions

If the above methods do not help, you may try to follow the methods mentioned in this article:

Error message when you start Windows Vista: "The Windows Boot Configuration Data file is missing required information"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927391

Note: This article also applies to Windows 7 Operating system as well.

No Events found!