Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 27th, 2008 12:00

Help Removing Old Video Card?

I recently purchased a VisionTek Radeon 256M X1300 PCI video card for my Desktop Dimension B110 computer. In the Installation Manual it says for maximum performance to remove the old video card which is an Inter(R) Extreme Graphics 2 Driver Version 6.14.10.4299 . It seems as if the card is "built-in" and my father and I have had no luck finding a way to remove it. It seems as if the new card won't function until the old one is removed.

We first tried to simply uninstall the card by going to Add/Remove Programs in the control panel, but after the uninstall wizard is complete and the computer is restarted, the program still shows up in the Add/Remove Programs screen. Because that route didn't work, we are at a loss of how to remove the old video card.

If anyone has any help on how to remove the old card it would be greatly appreciated! Please let me know if more information is needed about the computer or the card itself, and I will most gladly try to supply it!

Kirstin

3.7K Posts

December 27th, 2008 13:00

Hi robbygordonfan, If that card is an intergraded video, then you cant remove it. What you will have to do, go into the BIOS by pressing F2 at startup and making sureyour graphics is set to auto. However, I would go ahead and install the card, then install the software that comes with the card. If you run into any problems, then go into your BIOS.

December 27th, 2008 14:00

Thanks! When I go into BIOS, which category is the Graphics under? I searched through it and seemed to have missed it.

3.7K Posts

December 27th, 2008 15:00

Hi robbygordonfan, Look under Video. But, I would go ahead and install an new graphics card.

6 Posts

December 27th, 2008 23:00

Forget all that.  Just install the card and the driver.  From my experience, integrated graphics are overrode by a graphics card.  Trust me, I just did it on my Inspiron.  Now if you replace your graphics card with something else later on, you should uninstall your card's driver then plug and play the new card and driver.  That's really what your manual is telling you.

37 Posts

December 28th, 2008 07:00

Original Poster, I'm sorry for Ironbob, but I would go with what Robin suggested, a system that "thinks" there are two video cards-the original and your new one will give you trouble in the long run-especially one that is integrated.  I did just what Robin suggested, it's hard for find, but it works.  It's common sense to disable the first one, just a bit of work finding it.  It may even say something like Intel graphics in the bios, I think mine did, but I did it in 2004, so it's hard to remember the exact steps.  Any new video card manual would tell you to disable/remove first card, not override it.

Good luck, hope you enjoy your new card.  Kendra

December 28th, 2008 12:00

Thanks to everyone that has posted!

Kendra, I am glad to hear that it worked for you, as it gives me hope that eventually it will work for me. The biggest difficultly we're having right now is disabling the integrated card. When we go to Add/Remove Programs, we uninstall it and it tells us to reboot the computer. When we load the computer back up, the integrated card is shown as being installed once more.

Is there another way to disable the card that you know of?

Kirstin

37 Posts

December 29th, 2008 09:00

From what I remember, it was definately in the bios set up, it was basically a "switch" where you picked intel integrated or not, more like a y or n or a enable/disable type pick, then when your computer came on, it looked really really wierd until you installed the new graphics card software.

This is how Dell says to do this: "copied from a forum post"

How to disable your integrated video as posted by the Moderator

2200, 2300, 2350, 2400, 3000, 3100, E310, B110/1100

* Right click the My Computer icon
* Click Properties
* Click the Hardware tab and/or the Device Manager button
* Open the Display Adaptors. You should see the Intel video card
* Double click the listing for Intel whatever
* At the bottom under "Device Usage", click the down arrow and change this to "Do not use this device, disable"
* Click OK- Apply- OK
* Close all boxes when done
* Click Start- Turn Off Computer- Restart
* Press F2 at the blue Dell logo screen
* Down arrow to either:
Onboard Devices- Primary Video
Primary Video
Integrated Devices- Primary Video Controller
* Change yours to AUTO or PCI (whatever is listed)
* Press ESC several times to Exit and Save your changes
* As the system starts to restart, power the system off
* Open the case cover and add the PCI video card
* Connect the monitor to the added PCI video card
* Power on your computer
* Let the computer boot up and load the drivers off of the CD provided with the card

I looked on the web for you, here was a post answer in some forum, it gave this version:

To disable your integrated gpu (graphics card unit), you will have to enter your BIOS, directions are on the screen at first when you start your machine (often del or F2).

There you will have to search until you find a setting like "onboard graphics: Enabled" and change it to "Disabled".

Here is another one:

have you tried to disable the onboard video in your bios? turn on your pc, as soon as it starts up.. press the delete key, press it over and over pressing it in once then a breif pauseonly half a sec press it again.. if you see the xp logo come on starting to load up you missed it you have to catch the load proccess before it goes to the xp screen..try a few times.. if it doesnt work start over this time pressing f4 over and over on start up, (if your onbaord graphics are functioning at the time your doing this make sure your monitor cable is plugged into your onboard graphics port) you should see the words entering set up when you press the delete ket/or /f4 which ever works.. for you... im betting delete does the trick... ok when the bios srceen come up use the arrow keys to move the highlighted thing around im not sure off the top of my head but look around. dont change anything!!
but you wanna look for it will have a setting for onboard video .. or might even say boot up onboard ect... were ever you find it high light it then press the enter key , this will take you into were you can make a change. pick the one that referances to disabling. or turning off onbard video... after doing that press the f10 key it should now say save settings and exit.. choose yes... pc will reboot..

Now like the one poster said, some machines will just recognize the new card over the old one, but it only seemed to work for some people for like 5 minutes then their systems crashed.  Keep trying, it will work, you will LOVE your new video card.

Kendra

No Events found!