Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 7th, 2010 10:00

Help needed cloning/replacing old hd for new on Dim 3000

Hi,

I need some help cloning and replacing my old hd in my Dim 3000.  I can't find a Dell link that shows how to do this. 

I'm a newbie so I need simple steps for this .:)

I have the new hdd and the cable so I'm ready to go!

Thanks for any help you can give me.

LB

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

Hi,

I need some help cloning and replacing my old hd in my Dim 3000.  I can't find a Dell link that shows how to do this. 

I'm a newbie so I need simple steps for this .:)

I have the new hdd and the cable so I'm ready to go!

Thanks for any help you can give me.

LB

APRICORN DriveWire IDE/PATA/SATA to USB Hard Drive Adapter ..

Overview

The DriveWire IDE/PATA/SATA to USB Hard Drive Adapter from Apricorn is an ideal solution for transferring the data from a desktop or laptop PC to a new hard drive in a few easy steps. With this DriveWire Adapter you can easily transfer your OS, data, applications, documents, address books, e-mail, settings and preferences - from the old drive to a new drive, in few easy steps. DriveWire Adapter is bundled with Apricorn's ‘Upgrade Suite’ which features EZ Gig II cloning software for Windows and Shirt Pocket's SuperDuper for Mac. Just attach your 2.5" or 3.5" hard drive to the appropriate connector on DriveWire's cable head. Then connect the AC power adapter and the USB cable. Now, boot up your computer using the "Upgrade Suite" bootable CD and make and exact clone of the old drive onto a new drive. After the transfer is completed, install the new hard drive into the desktop or laptop, and the computer will boot up just like normal.

14 Posts

Hi Speedstep,

Wow! fast response! I appreciate your posting that link but I should have noted that I have Win XP and Acronis True Image software that I'd like to use. I'd rather not purchase anything else.:)

LB

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

1. The drive wire is not expensive.

2.  You would still use a Drive Bridge to safely clone the drive without introducing other problems.

3.  The Drive wire works with Windows, Linux, MacOS, etc because it comes with a bootable CD and Cloning Software for

windows and MAC OSX.

There isnt anything to install as you boot from the CD and clone.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 7th, 2010 11:00

Hi Speedstep,

Wow! fast response! I appreciate your posting that link but I should have noted that I have Win XP and Acronis True Image software that I'd like to use. I'd rather not purchase anything else.:)

LB

Boothlet

Begin by installing Acronis TI on the exsisting primary C: / hard drive.

Then, install the new drive as the secondary and image the exsisting C:/ to it.

Immediately shut the system down, switch the connector at the end of the primary IDE data cable to the new drive, making the new hard drive the master and see if the system boots correctly.

Boot the system with only the new hard drive connected.  

Remember to leave the original drive disconnected.

Acronis will match the partitions to the new hard drive's size.

Before cloning a hard drive, be certain that existing drive has no corruption or virus on it, as these will be transfered to the new hard drive.

You can use disk management to partition and format the old hard drive to use as addititional storage, if you so wish.

A hint:  Read the Acronis manual before imaging the drives.

How to install a second hard drive.

A bracket is required for the second hard drive, this can be purchased for $7.99 from HERE , or you could temporarily connect the hard drive without the bracket

You need to buy a three connector 80 wire IDE cable, similar to THIS and can be purchased from a local computer store.

Dell does not have the procedures for installing a second hard drive in the D-3000, but because the D-4600 has the same chassis, you can use the same instructions for the physical installation.

Set the Hard Drive jumpers to "Cable Select" and install the second hard drive on the middle cable connector.

How to install a second HARD DRIVE and more information HERE.

After installing the second hard drive, check in the SYSTEM SETUP that the drive is set to "on" [enabled].

In order for windows XP to recognize the second hard drive, it must be partitioned and formatted, using XP disk management.

Bev.

14 Posts

December 7th, 2010 12:00

Hi SpeedStep,

Thanks for your response. I know the Drive Wire isn't expensive, but I'd prefer to

use the software I have so I'm going to go with Shesagordie's info.

LB

14 Posts

December 7th, 2010 12:00

Hi shesagordie,

Thanks for all the info, but I'm a newbie:emotion-43: and wondering what the sequence should be for

cloning the old drive (still installed or not?) removing the old drive, and installing the new one.

Thanks!

LB

14 Posts

December 7th, 2010 15:00

Boothlet

Begin by installing Acronis TI on the exsisting primary C: / hard drive.

Then, install the new drive as the secondary and image the exsisting C:/ to it.

Immediately shut the system down, switch the connector at the end of the primary IDE data cable to the new drive, making the new hard drive the master and see if the system boots correctly.

Boot the system with only the new hard drive connected.  

Remember to leave the original drive disconnected.

Acronis will match the partitions to the new hard drive's size.

OK I went back and re-read your instructions.:)  I'm currently trying to make a secure zone - my pc only has about 5 gigs in available space

so it's crawling along...

LB

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 7th, 2010 15:00

Boothlet

Also, remember to read the Acronis manual.  :emotion-5:

Bev.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

December 7th, 2010 18:00

Hi Speedstep,

LB

If you have TrueImage and all you want to do is clone the existing drive over to the new one, you don't need to install TrueImage in any permanent way.

Install the second hard drive (without uninstalling the first one) and boot from the Acronis DVD. Under utilities is an option to clone the drive. Follow the prompts and your current hard drive will be imaged over to the new one. Once you're finished, shut down the PC, uninstall the original hard drive, and you're done.

If I had known that the TrueImage DVD could do this, I'd have moved over from Norton Ghost a long time ago.

January 29th, 2012 17:00

hi,

I'm doing this now, but it is only seeing my old drive, what should my jumpers be set to, why would it not see two drives, I,m doing the Acronis migrate easy.  Nothing is on the new drive, just want to clone it, move all the old into the new.  Cable is set to the old drive (end of cable) middle is on the new one, any ideas

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 29th, 2012 17:00

hi,

I'm doing this now, but it is only seeing my old drive, what should my jumpers be set to, why would it not see two drives, I,m doing the Acronis migrate easy.  Nothing is on the new drive, just want to clone it, move all the old into the new.  Cable is set to the old drive (end of cable) middle is on the new one, any ideas

picturethis62

Do you realize that you are posting in another thread, in a different forum, that's two years old, that's for a Dimension 3000, not a 4600

The hard drive's jumpers are set to 'Cable Select' [CS], all this information, was answered in your original thread here:-

Bev.

No Events found!