Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 11th, 2010 06:00

Help on windows XP / Dimension 5150 startup problem

Hi,

My pc is not able to load windows xp no more. It locked today (after Spybot had found a suspicious file)  and I had to cut the power. After this happened when I start the pc, windows starts up normally and shows the big XP screen picture whereafter the screen goes black and nothing more happens. What may be wrong here and how can I correct this?

Thanks, Ole

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

June 11th, 2010 08:00

Depending on what the file was that Spybot found, a Windows XP "Repair" will probably fix it.    You boot from your Dell Windows XP disc but instead of installing you select "Repair".   Worst case you will have to do a complete reinstall.

By the way, most of the techies I know have switched from Spybot to MalwareBytes "MBAM" spyware program.  I've had problems with Spybot identifiying actual system files as spyware and I've fixed a client's PC that Spybot did in with the Repair procedure.

3 Posts

June 12th, 2010 12:00

Hi,

After some more efforts: I managed to get into the Recovery Console via the windows XP install cd. Here i followed this recipe http://webcast.broadcastnewsroom.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=8658-1&afterinter=true (basically copying some crucial files: sam, software, default, +2 others from the c:\windows\system32\config folder). But when I rebooted the same problem persisted...

Ok, so I decided to make a clean install to another partition on the same HD. This went fine unitl in hte midle of the installation it rebooted and continued with step 4/5 (installing windows-> installing devices). And here it stops, displaying the same screen forever.

So, does this mean that my problem could be a hardware one? Thanks, Ole 

3 Posts

June 13th, 2010 05:00

Update: I managed to install on a new HD and I now have recovered all documents from the other HD with the crashed windows XP on. However before I reformat that HD I was wondering if perhaps there was files for creating a Windows XP install disc here..?
 (Why did I first think about this after my system crashed  - the disc I used was downloaded from the internett w/o  registration key...)  After all I have paid for one XP license when I bought the machine.

Thanks, Ole

No Events found!