Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 12th, 2010 13:00

Help upgrading my Dell Dimension 9100, graphics ram hdd and OS.

Hi just joined the community so this is my first post.

I have a Dell Dimension 9100 desktop pc, after 3 and a half years of blissful use its time to upgrade!

I have a spec of -

3.2 Ghz DIM 9100 640 processor

1024mb ddr sdram in a 2x512mb slots

Serial ATA 160 gb hard drive

ATI Radeon X600 256mb graphics card.

24" 2408 wpf Ultra Sharp monitor.

So far i am looking at replacing the ram with 4x1gb DDR2 PC2-6400

The processor I think is fine so ill keep it as is but is this a dual core or single core?

As a replacement for the hard drive I am looking at the WD Caviar Black 1Tb internal hdd-300ms 7200rpm

And the graphics card replacement to be MSI Nvidia 9500GT 1gb DDR2 graphics card- I am looking for a card that will allow me to watch 1080p films tv progs etc  

And I am looking at running Windows 7, will I be able to do that with this configuration? I know the ram and hdd should fit straight in but the graphics card frim what ive gathered on the net will either work wont work or be wasted for this config.

Anybody upgraded with this graphics card, or does anyone know if any of the items are not compatible or of maybe some alternatives?

Thanks

LJ

381 Posts

February 12th, 2010 13:00

640 is single core.

WD 1TB Caviar Black is a very nice drive.  I bought a bunch of these over Christmas as upgrades.

For a very powerful graphics card that fits this computer, I like the Gigabyte GTS250.

David

February 12th, 2010 14:00

Thanks for the reply David

Will I be able to run windows 7 smoothly with the system upgrades ive described?

Is the fact that the gpu a single core have any bearing, in terms of limitations of the performance ,of any of the upgrades? I basically dont want to spend all the money buying the graphics cards etc and find that the speed is then curtailed due to the processor being 'limited' or overworked. 

Thanks again LJ

4 Posts

February 12th, 2010 15:00

Use this online compatibility tool http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/en-us/default.aspx to check if the hardware you are planning to use/upgrade will work with Windows 7

23 Posts

April 14th, 2010 01:00

I have a dell dimension 9100 also. Would this http://www.palit.biz/main/vgapro.php?id=1253#spec model also work for a stock computer? (now being upgraded to 4GB ram)????

No Events found!