Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 23rd, 2017 10:00

Help with Mac Mini Audio Out to Dell Monitors and AC511 Sound Bar

I have two Mac Minis and I'm trying to get sound from my Dell monitors and attached AC511 Sound Bars..  One system is a 2010 Mac Mini running Snow Leopard and the other is a 2012 model running Sierra.  One monitor is a UP2516D and the other a U2515H with AC511s attached to both.  I know sound works on each because I've attached both to an Intel NUC through a mini-DP to HDMI cable and the A/V is perfect but I've been unable to do the same with the Minis.  So far I've tried mini-DP to DP and mini-DP to HDMI cables (both DP1.2 compliant) and neither provided audio.  I've also tried a HDMI to HDMI cable and it didn't work either.  The DP/HDMI connection and monitor are recognized in the audio and MIDI configurations but nothing produces sound, even the speaker configuration test in the MIDI setup.

Any suggestions?  Thanks for your help.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

April 24th, 2017 08:00

You have to select the USB Audio for Output in system Preferences.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/dell-usb-soundbar-ac511/manuals

1. To make your Mac use the audio interface as its audio input or output, choose System Preferences from the Apple menu.
  2. From the View menu, choose Sound. This opens the Sound preferences pane.
  3. Click the Input tab.
  4. Choose your audio interface in the list to select it for use. Note: If you don't see your interface in the list, be sure that you've installed the correct driver.
  5. Click the Output tab.
  6. Choose your audio interface in the list to select it for use.

No Events found!