Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 8th, 2009 14:00

Help with XPS 730 H2C Liquid cooling X9650 processor

I bought a XPS 730 with H2C X9650 SLI nVidia 2x 280GTX   My Hard drive failed along with a few errors in bios which the errors were fixed by disabeling onboard audio and floppy drive.  Heres my problem now in control panel then system info my processor used to show  X 9650 2.99 to 3.67  I am guessing what is the factory overclock settings from x.xx to 3.67  i do remember 3.67.....Now it only shows 3.0 not a minimum # to 3.67 I remember specific the to 3.67 but forgot the minimum. I contacted Dell only to spend 3 hours on the phone to clueless techs and get disconected 2 times and now have my bios opened and typeing this on my laptop.

Can someone who is familular with this system please advise me of how to get it showing the speeds of my processor like when it was shiped to me? I do not understand nor do I overclock or overvolt.  The help I got so far from Dell they seem to know less then me. And after being hung up on 2 times it gets agravateing after explaining for hours. I am not sure but guessing it is settings within the bios but would like to get it set back to like I got it from Dell ....but as I said I am not getting much help! I can't seem to get a tech that knows the system well enough. I think part of the problem is they had me set the bios to default setting now it does not show  2.99 to 3.67 or whatever the correct settings are?

Can someone please help? Thanks a bunch

Jeffcmfrt

482 Posts

June 8th, 2009 20:00

Hey jeffcmfrt,

Sounds like you have a great system there.  I have the XPS 730 H2C, QX9650, dual GTX 285 in SLI and it is a wonderful computer.

This is the BIOS settings that I am currently running.  You will need to go to the BIOS and try (no guarantee that this will work for you but it works for me):

CPU Multiplier    11X

CPU N/2    dis

Speed Step  dis

CPU Core 0,1,2,3    Enable

Overclock Configuration:

EEP 2.0 mem  CPUOC     0%       Enabled

CPU Freq MHz             3.6667

CPU Multi                       11X

FSB;    ALL Auto

Acutal FSB  1333.2

Try that and see, however, when you downloaded the BIOS or updated the BIOS, did you use your System Tag? Dell Drivers and Downloads are very good, as it will have your system in its memory and will update the system to factory shipped settings?

Let me know if you need additional information,

Best wishes,

Darrell WV

831 Posts

June 9th, 2009 08:00

Thanks a bunch Darrell

Yes I did use my service tag when downloading and reflashing the bios. The problem is I has is I had a few issues with the bios when I first received it before I even had time to get familiar with the machine & Bios and dell tech support had me change all kind of settings(which I would not mind but when it does not  work they just go on to somthing else rather revert back and change back the settings that did not work) Then the Hard Drive failed Dell was supposed to send a imaged Hard Drive but for some reason I did not get one and had to re-install windows. I do know that the HD has nothing to do with the Bios and the bios setting get saved to the CMOS Bat but for some reason my system was not saveing settings. I will give theese a try as I would like to get back the original settings but do not want to go over what Dell overclocked it at from the factory and void my warranty. Thanks so much for your help and yes theese are fine systems indeed just mine had a few bugs here and there from the begeining.

UPDATE: Thanks a bunch those settings worked and it displays in the system properties like it used too! Thats all I asked from Dell was to get it configuired like it was shiped .It's a live & learn expeirence next time I will make sure I write down every setting they have me change and when it does not work go back and re-set the settings back to the original configuration. Thanks again for all your help.

Take care thanks

Jeff Comfort

482 Posts

June 9th, 2009 11:00

Hey Jeff,

Glad to help.  Most of the forum users here are very helpful and much better informed than I am.  Dell Tech Support really does try their best, but each one of them is covering every model of Dell past and present, so they have a big job and often (unless they have the unit personally) just do not know all of the individualities of each system.

Best,

Darrell

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

Can you input your settings into this format?

CPU Configuration Screen
XD Bit Capability =
SpeedStep =
C-STATE Tech =
C State package Limit =

Frequency/Voltage Control Screen
QPI Frequency =
Memory Ratio =
XMP Support =
CPU Core (Non-turbo) Ratio =

Overclock Configuration Screen
Adjust CPUBC1k (MHz) =
Spread Spectrum =
Adjust PCI Frequency (MHz) =
Adjust PCI-E Frequency (MHz) =
Intel TurboMode Tech =
1 - 4 core turbo speed limit =
Tdc =
Tdp =

Overvoltage Configuration Screen
Dynamic CPU Vcore Offset =
DDR3 Memory Voltage =
I0H Voltage =
QPI and Uncore Voltage =

831 Posts

Yes you are right that is  a lot of systems and I could not  imagine how demanding their job is trying to troubleshoot without the acual system in front of them. I have been purchaseing XPS systems for years most have been laptops and they used to have a dedicated XPS team of  techs out of Texas rather then over seas if I remember correct.. I can relate that this system is by far the most advanced system I have purchased infact a little intimidateing as I fell behind on the tech world and gaming for a while and Ido have some reading and researching on my end to get up to speed on the more advanced hardware on my end.

Thanks again for you help I apreciate it!

Jeff Comfort

482 Posts

June 9th, 2009 15:00

Hi Chris, 

You said: "Can you input your settings into this format?

CPU Configuration Screen
XD Bit Capability =
SpeedStep =
C-STATE Tech =
C State package Limit =

Frequency/Voltage Control Screen
QPI Frequency =
Memory Ratio =
XMP Support =
CPU Core (Non-turbo) Ratio =

Overclock Configuration Screen
Adjust CPUBC1k (MHz) =
Spread Spectrum =
Adjust PCI Frequency (MHz) =
Adjust PCI-E Frequency (MHz) =
Intel TurboMode Tech =
1 - 4 core turbo speed limit =
Tdc =
Tdp =

Overvoltage Configuration Screen
Dynamic CPU Vcore Offset =
DDR3 Memory Voltage =
I0H Voltage =
QPI and Uncore Voltage ="

This format is for the 730X system and the OP was for the 730 system.   The format you suggested just does not really apply.  The difference between the systems has been confusing in several of the threads, and I am guilty myself of referring to them as a single type of computer, but they are truly totally different systems.

Best,

Darrell

2 Posts

July 28th, 2009 21:00

hi,

seems like i have the same problems as jeffcmfrt.  after the hard drive failed..etc.

I managed to get the overclock done and the onboard audio disabled. But i cant find the setting to disable the floppy drive. maybe its under a different name or numbers.

Dont know much about computers. any help would be apreciated about disabeling the floppy drive . thx

2 Posts

July 29th, 2009 20:00

Never mind,  found the setting in drive A size, selected to "none".

No Events found!