Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 10th, 2007 17:00

How Install XP on GX755 With SATA Operation = ACHI ??

i begin...

Optiplex GX 755 - Mini Tower

This computer come from dell with "pre-install xp-pro" and on setup settings => SATA Operation => "RAID Autodetect / ACHI"

i try to install XP With CD "dell xp-pro / production on 2007" and i get "blue screen" on the start .

i successful to install XP only with setup settings => SATA Operation => "RAID Autodetect / ATA"  OR "RAID On"

Someone know what the problem ???

8 Posts

October 10th, 2007 19:00

Hi I think I can help you here.

First of all, ACHI is best for XP64 and Vista (Linux etc) but not XP32 (which is what you have) due to the fact that certain SATA drivers are required.

The BSOD ended in the digits '7b' right? This is a well documented problem.

Basically you need to install the OS in ATA mode (this is an alternative to AHCI) and this can be done in a number of ways depending on the BIOS that you have.

First of all it's VERY important to reset your NVRAM (CMOS memory) before doing anything, by pressing 'Alt + F' followed by 'Alt + E'.

Then go into the SATA operation page of your BIOS. Some BIOS's give you the option to turn on 'ATA'. Some don't but they do give you the option to turn off 'RAID'. Do this if you can't select 'ATA' mode. When RAID is 'on' these motherboards work in AHCI mode. Just turn RAID off.

Should be ok after that.

You will probably find that the machine won't even recognise your windows disk if you reinstall OS without doing this.

If you reset your BIOS after the install, RAID will automatically, by default, be turned back on and you'll start getting the error messages again.

If you want AHCI to be on, you will need to create a floppy disk withe SATA drivers on it. Do this by booting to your DELL Drivers and Resources CD, and selecting 'create Sata driver diskette' (not sure of exact phrasing used). Remove Floppy when done.

While reinstalling OS, you will be given the option to 'press F6 to install third party drivers' - do this, put your floppy in and away you go.

Hope this helps.

Message Edited by dweebazoid on 10-10-2007 03:37 PM

1 Message

October 11th, 2007 05:00

Common problems switching to AHCI under Windows

Enabling AHCI in a system BIOS will cause a 0x7B Blue Screen of Death STOP error on installations of Windows XP where AHCI/RAID drivers for that system's chipset are not installed. Switching to AHCI mode requires installing new drivers before changing the BIOS settings.

When attempting to install Microsoft Windows XP or a previous version on an AHCI-enabled system will cause the setup to fail with the error message "set up could not detect hard disk drive...". This problem can only be corrected by either using a floppy disk with the appropriate drivers, by slipstreaming the appropriate drivers into the Windows XP installation CD or by turning on IDE emulation in the BIOS settings if available.

Enabling AHCI in a system BIOS with Windows Vista already installed will result in a BSoD if SATA has been running in IDE mode during Vista's installation. Before enabling AHCI in the BIOS, users must first follow the instructions found at Microsoft Knowledge Base article 922976.

Enabling AHCI in a system BIOS on installations of Windows XP or Windows Vista, will cause SATA Optical drives to disappear. A Hotfix for Windows Vista is available under the title: "SATA optical drives are not available after you start a Windows Vista-based computer

13 Posts

October 11th, 2007 15:00

Whats the benefit to having AHCI? I tried making a boot disk off of my drivers and utilities disk but the cd did not give me the option to create a boot disk? Is there some place where this is better documented? Could I use a usb flash drive instead of a floppy disk (I dont have a floppy drive, so i have to find a usb floppy drive or use a flash drive)

13 Posts

October 11th, 2007 15:00

Forgot to mention that I have the desktop version of the 755, which only has one hard drive. I dunno if that makes a difference. And I just upgraded my bios to A03. In my BIOS > Drives > SATA Operation I have the following three options: 1)RAID Autodetect/AHCI 2)RAID Autodetect/ATA 3)RAID On. Now since I only have 1 drive I obviously do not have RAID, but the description for the RAID Autodetect/AHCI = RAID if signed drives, otherwise AHCI. I don't know if any of this helps but I and just trying to give you the whole picture. I know I can probably just switch to the RIAD Autodetect/ATA setting and install the os fine but I read on Wikipedia that "Advanced Host Controller Interface (AHCI) is a hardware mechanism that allows software to communicate with Serial ATA (SATA) devices such as host bus adapters which are designed to offer features not offered by Parallel ATA (PATA) controllers besides higher speeds, such as hot-plugging and native command queuing". So I dunno if i want to sacrifice that just so I can easily install xp. Someone please help!

8 Posts

October 16th, 2007 14:00

Sorry if it was unclear above, RAID needs to be OFF.

When in RAID mode, AHCI is automatically enabled by default.
Turning RAID off, will turn AHCI off.

AHCI improves the functioanility of SATA, it enables you to hot swap the drives (like you would want if you had them running in a server). 

For a desktop, just turn it off, it's not worth the hassle of doing an F6 driver slipstream during OS install.

Hope this helps, please contact me if you need more.

8 Posts

Message Edited by dweebazoid on 10-16-2007 10:53 AM

25 Posts

I too have some Optiplex 755s that are getting BSOD 0x7b after I put my XP Pro image on it.
I changed the BIOS SATA setting to the suggested - "RAID Autodetect/ATA" and I still get the same BSOD. I changed setting to "RAID On" and still get same BSOD.

I also loaded my image after making these changes, I thought maybe the OS got trashed after the first BSOD.

I have used this same XP Pro image for Optiplex GX150/GX240/GX260/GX270/170L/GX520 in the past.

I cannot update the bios, as I have no working OS on the machine.

I do not use BartPE (not quite sure what that is...but, I will start to research it) or any other HAL changing/selecting utility. Just Ghost 7.5 and Sysprep.

And thoughts would be appreciated.

8 Posts

October 16th, 2007 17:00

Message Edited by dweebazoid on 10-16-2007 02:05 PM

25 Posts

October 16th, 2007 17:00

I don't seem to have a RAID Off setting. I updated the BIOS on a second machine (now at A03).
I only have the following choices....
"RAID Autodetect / ACHI"  "RAID Autodetect / ATA"   "RAID On"

This is a single sata drive system/desktop.

I choose the 'ATA' before dropping my image on the PC - same stop error on boot as above (7b)

8 Posts

October 16th, 2007 18:00

The fact that you can't turn raid off is very strange.

Can you try clearing the NVRAM in the bios on the machine you're doing the install on, (alt+F, alt+E, exit) and then rebooting a few times? In my experience this changes the SATA operation field.

If that doesn't work you have a few options.

Option 1) Easiest option first.

Does your image work on any 755's? If not, then try the following:
- Ditch your image.
- Ditch Sysprep completely
- Use the XP cd that came with the machine (important)
- Do install manually at the terminal

It's important to try it without using your image.
It's also important that you are at the terminal, not using any kind of preexecution software and not performing a network install.

If that doesn't help then the following should do it, but it's a little tricky at times

Option 2) Create a SATA drivers diskette (on a bootable floppy) and perform the legendary 'F6 driver install'. You can have your machine set to AHCI for this.

PS - a bootable SATA driver disk can be created using your Drivers and Resources CD. Earlier, I advised to to boot to the 'drivers and resources CD' (from outside the operating system) and someone else mentioned that that didn't work for them so maybe you will have that problem and might need to do it by running the 'drivers and resources' CD from within windows itselt You will get it working soon, hang in there

Message Edited by dweebazoid on 10-16-2007 02:45 PM

25 Posts

October 16th, 2007 18:00

tried that....no go.

(see my initial post)

Message Edited by spoot on 10-16-2007 02:04 PM

25 Posts

October 16th, 2007 19:00

Thanks for sticking with me, D.

I did the alt+f & alt+e...loaded my image to the machine and it got BSOD again. Checked BIOS and the default was Auto/ACHI. I changed it to Auto/ATA and it still got BSOD. The RAID option was still just "RAID On" = no option to turn off raid.

I now tried to to wipe the drive (gdisk) as I saw something about - "if the drive is signed" - so, I thought, if I wiped the drive completely, it might get rid of any 'signing' ?...we'll see.

your option 1 & 2 have been my last options of choice. So far, I am just trying to get my image to load.  Building a new image will come after I've exhausted any other possibility. My images are quite complex.

Thanks again for your input!

25 Posts

October 16th, 2007 20:00

wiping the drive using gdisk did not help.

25 Posts

October 16th, 2007 21:00

I am begining to wonder if I need to change the HAL.

KB309283 mentions the different types. It also sites the STOP 0x7b BSOD I get.
My GX520 is using "ACPI MultiPorcessor PC" = HAL.dll
this is the box that I sysprep and take a ghost image, then have been trying to dump it on the 755.

I wonder what the Optiplex 755 needs to be happy or how to make that work? (new HAL)

13 Posts

October 18th, 2007 00:00

I dunno if this will help but this is what i did.  I just bought a 755 desktop but it came with XP so I wanted to reload the system and put XP Pro on it.  I too had only these options: "RAID Autodetect / ACHI"  "RAID Autodetect / ATA"   "RAID On".  I upgraded my bios to A03, still only had those settings so I selected the Raid autodetech/achi.  I downloaded the sata drivers  <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed / replaced from this post by Dell> from dell's website and unpackaged them onto a newly formated floppy drive. I inserted the XP pro CD rebooted.  Pressed F6 for 3rd party raid driver installed the driver, i forget which one. I had an option of 4.  Then installed the OS everything works fine except that I also have an external eSATA hd and my computer wont detech it.  The hard drive also has usb but I bought it for the eSATA.  Any help here? 

No Events found!