Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 6th, 2009 06:00

How Long Does Dell Warranty its Repairs/Replacements?

I purchased an extended three year warranty for my Dell Desktop four years ago but two years ago Dell had to replace the motherboard and hard drive.  I don't suppose they start a fresh warranty period for replacement parts.  Thanks.

14.4K Posts

February 6th, 2009 07:00

Yes the warranty will expire with the completion of the orginal warranty period regardless of when the parts are replaced.

14.4K Posts

February 6th, 2009 06:00

No the replacement of parts will not restart the clock. So in your case you would have 2 yrs left on the parts as well as the rest of the system. Normal replacement parts from Dell are usually warrantied for 90 days.

799 Posts

Hello ltowns, What sort of issues are you having?

If you could advise your model number and the problems with your system, someone may be able to offer a suggestion as to a fix or repair, that would resolve the issue, without expensive parts replacements.

As Davet50 suggest, the original part replacements would only be warrantied for the remainder of the original system warranty.

This is the policy for nearly all parts replacements on nearly all products, not just computers.

Just some thoughts.

4 Posts

Davet50:

I think my original question wasn't phrased very well.  Since I originally bought a three year warranty four years ago, most of the machine would most definitely already be out of warranty so I don't think that I have 2 years left on anything. 

I was thinking that, since two years ago, a new motherboard and hard drive were installed, that they might consider the three year warranty to "start again" for the new parts.  However, given your last statement about the 90 day replacement warranty, it looks like everything is out of coverage.

Do you agree that I'm out of luck?  Thanks for your help.

No Events found!