Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 24th, 2009 20:00

How do I connect XPS-420 Studio to my HDTV?

How do I connect XPS-420 Studio to my HDTV? PoorPoorFairFairAverageAverageGoodGoodExcellentExcellent

Originally posted 08 Jan 2009 01:02AM in "General Hardware"  No one replied.

System:  Dell XPS-420 Studio, Windows Vista Home Premium 32, PBDS DVD+-RW DH-16W1S

I want to connect my PC to my TV so that I can show DVDs played from my DVD drive on the TV.  What connection would you suggest?  I can't find an S-Video or "video card"  conncection on the back of the PC panel; however, there are IEE-1394 jacks on front & back of the PC and there is an IEE-1394 slot on the TV.  (The TV seems to have a wide variety of connection possibilities.)

I'm pretty much a novice as this sort of thing, so please don't assume too much knowledge on my part when you reply.:emotion-1:

No one replied when I posted this in "General Hardware" so I really would appreciate some help.  Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Sincerely,

Jeff E.

4.6K Posts

January 25th, 2009 03:00

I assume you posted this in different forum sections Jeff, 'coz I've replied to this question already?

However... I asked you to confirm what type of TV you were using - a new HDTV, or an older TV?

I've just seen the thread title again, and you have a HDTV!

So the type of cable you're going to need is a DVI - HDMI cable - of suitable length :emotion-55:

370 Posts

January 25th, 2009 14:00

Of course if you want sound, you'll need additional cables.  The DVI won't pass any audio.

Probably several options depending upon what outputs your computer has. If you have the TV conencted to a sound system, you could go directly from the PC to the sound system; or PC to TV using optical, RCA, or mini-plug cords--depending upon your connector options.

No Events found!