Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 17th, 2014 14:00

How do I connect a second monitor to Dell OptiPlex 790

Hi, I am very much technologically challenged and need some help. I have googled like mad trying to see how to connect a second Dell monitor to my OptiPlex 790 tower but nothing makes sense. The monitor seems to have a regular VGA monitor port and a female DVI port. All the cables I have seen recommended are Display Port on one end, and I can see where to connect that into the back of the PC, but they are DVI female on the other end - but the port on my monitor is DVI female so I would need DVI male to connect to this, would I not? Confused. Sorry for all those who are signing in frustration at my ignorance, I literally have no idea about this kind of stuff sorry. Any help you can give me as to exactly what cable I need, and where it connects on either end would be greatly appreciated.

3 Apprentice

• 

540 Posts

February 26th, 2014 12:00

Hi Willota,

Sorry to see we missed this post and did not respond too sooner! Hopefully you were able to get your monitor set up issue resolved but if not here are some instructions on setting up the dual monitor configuration.

The Optiplex 790 system has both VGA and display port video out ports that can be used in conjunction with one another.

From what you are describing I understand one monitor is connected VGA to VGA but the Display port is currently not being used and your second monitor only has a VGA and DVI port?

If this is correct a cable like this could be used to bridge that connection:

If you already have a DVI or VGA cable you could use an adapter like these to convert the DVI/VGA plug to Display port

Please see the following guide if you had any further questions regarding a multiple monitor set up.

How to set up dual monitors

http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/19/KCS/KcsArticles/ArticleView?docid=267703

Thanks,

No Events found!