Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 28th, 2009 20:00

How do I connect my 1525 laptop to my Bravia tv with HDMI cables?

I bought the HDMI cables and plugged them into my laptop and tv.  I do not get a signal on external inputs --> PC.  The only thing that happens is my laptop screen goes dark and I have to hit Fn F8 to get it back.   I have read through most of the posts for connecting pcs to tv.  I have tried going to the graphic display and doing Output to Tv and Extending the Monitor etc.  Nothing works.  I chatted with support.  They couldn't help.  They suggested it was a problem with the tv.  I don't see anything on my tv or in my manual that I could change to get it to function as a monitor.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Is it possible HDMI just doesn't work?  My manual suggests using HD15 cables.  Has anyone had any luck  setting up a Dell laptop and Bravia tv?

Thanks. 

3.6K Posts

March 1st, 2009 18:00

You did not do what i said in my previous post,hook the tv to the laptop with the HDMI cable(while both are turned on)>once they are connected,change the Input on the TV to HDMI 1>Now re-start the laptop and it should recognize it.

3.6K Posts

Change the input on the TV to HDMI 1,or HDMI 2.

5 Posts

Thanks for the reply.  I have tried putting the input to PC, HDMI 1 and HDMI 2.  I don't get a signal on any of them.

3.6K Posts

February 28th, 2009 21:00

Connect the laptop to the tv,change the input on the tv to HDMI 1 (use the first HDMI connection),then reboot the laptop see if it works.

Post back if you have problems.

5 Posts

March 1st, 2009 18:00

Thanks for the reply.  I unplugged the tv and the laptop.  Plugged in the HDMI cable.  Turned on the tv and the laptop.  Turned External Output to HDMI 1.  No signal.  I checked the Graphics Drive.  Put the output to TV.  Nothing.  I tried Output to Clone and to Extended Desktop.  No signal on HDMI 1 or PC.  The only thing that happens is my laptop monitor goes black and I have to do Fn F5 to get it back.  Is there something I need to do with the TV to get it to recognize the computer?

5 Posts

March 1st, 2009 19:00

Fantastic!  It worked.  Thanks for taking the time to help me with this.  Do you know if it's possible to get the computer screen to fill all of the tv screen?  It's 32".  Is it possible to use the computer in a separate tab while using the tv as a monitor?

3.6K Posts

March 1st, 2009 21:00

You are more than welcome.Yes you can fill the screen>start> control panel>nvidia control panel>change resolution tab>now move the slider all the way to the right.

And yes to the second question,use laptop seperate while viewing tv monitro>same nvidia control panel>set up multiple displays>dual view display.

FYI:I am not sure if using both the above,high screen resolution,and dual view,will work together.I think with a higher res.,the dual view(together) will not function.But if you lower the res. they both will work together.But you can use both functions though.

26 Posts

March 16th, 2009 16:00

Glad it worked. I'm thinking of buying a refurbished 1525 to connect to a flatscreen TV via HDMI cable, but the posts I read about making that connection indicate that the audio signal doesn't make it to the TV from the 1525 via the HDMI cable. You mention getting video on the TV screen but don't say anything about sound. Have you succeeded in getting the HDMI cable to carry sound to the TV as well? (I need to know that the sound connection works before I buy!) Any info on this, many thanks.

5 Posts

March 16th, 2009 17:00

I bought a Belkin HDMI cable at Target for $39.99 that had video and audio capabilities.  It works perfectly. 

1 Message

December 26th, 2009 13:00

I have tried this method and it does not work.  I only have one selection on my tv for HDMI (it does not break out into HDMI 1).  Does this work with Windows XP operating system or do you have to have Vista?  Also, my tv is a VIORE flatscreen HDTV.  I can select any of the following sources on the tv.  I haven't tried the VGA with an RGB cable as I don't currently have an RGB cable to connect to the tv, but none of the others work with my laptop.

TV, AV, DVD, S-Video, Component, HDMI, VGA

Any suggestions?

No Events found!