Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 27th, 2007 17:00

How do I decode error code from Dell 32-bit diagnostics?

How do I decode error code from Dell 32-bit diagnostics?

User complains of frequent Blue Screen of Death.  Dell 32-bit diagnostics gives an error code 2F00:0B1C or 2F2F:0B1C and calls it a "memory data data bus stress test failure".  No, I didn't mistype that - "data" appears twice with no punctuation between.

Anyway, is this a motherboard error or a memory error ?

Thanks!
Karl Vacek

501 Posts

KVacek,

A Google search produced only one good hit. You can read it here .

Warren

4 Posts

Thanks, but that has nothing to do with this problem.  That was a user complaining about Dell - the problem at that time was unresolved.

Karl

501 Posts

KVacek,

I gather you didn't read the whole thread. The first poster stated, "I ran the Utility - Hardware tests and in the Express and symptom Tree tests I always got "Error: 2F00:0B1C or 2F2F:0B1C - same Msg: memory data data bus stress test failure". Now read his third post from the bottom. They sent a Dell tech out and tried new memory and a hard drive. In his last post he stated that they installed a new MB and that fixed the problem.

4 Posts

April 27th, 2007 18:00

You're right - I didn't see that there at all.  And now that I do see it, I suppose it's some evidence of an answer, but I'd really like to know what the error message means.

Are the messages secret or can I get a list of them somewhere ?  Searches have not located any list of codes.

Thanks!
Karl

30 Posts

April 27th, 2007 21:00

How about you call Dell?

4 Posts

April 28th, 2007 14:00

1 - The system (it's my client's, not mine) is out of warrantee by a few months.

2 - My experience with recent support calls has been poor, though this client has bought Gold support with all his recent systems.  I don't appreciate calling India, waiting on hold for half an hour or more, and then getting a fake US accent that immediately slides into unintelligible and arrogant.

I already ran the diagnostics, the first thing they'd want anyway if the system were in warrantee and they would help me.  Their next demand would include formatting the hard drive.  Ridiculous?  Sure, but I've been there before - in fact with the companion system to this one that indeed needed a new motherboard when it was a couple of months old.  But that original "tech" personinsisted that I had to format and reinstal WIndows before he'd go further with diagnosis.  And I gave him an error code when I first called that time too.

Sorry - I was hoping for a helpful suggestion from a Dell online support person who might show me where these obviously confidential error codes may be found online.

Thanks for the link, Warren - I'll just guess that's the same problem here.  I'm on the client's clock on this one, and it'll be cheaper to throw a motherboard at the problem than to hope for help from Dell.  Since the other system he bought on the same order lost a motherboard early on (though can't find notes and just don't remember the symptoms or error codes), so it's not an unreasonable guess.

Karl

2K Posts

April 28th, 2007 15:00

That 'reinstall Windows' nonsense has got to go.  It's not genuinely a diagnostic step.  It was inserted by some well-meaning (?) committee into the diagnostic script the phone answerers are required to follow.  Let's face it, committee.  You don't have a Windows problem when Windows isn't even running and your own hardware diagnostic reports an error.  Fix that, Customer Experience folks.

Meanwhile, when they say that, call them back in 2 hours, say you reinstalled Windows and it didn't make any difference.  Ridiculous that customers should have to dodge Dell's dodges, but such is the situation as it stands today.

There is no published translation/interpretation of the Dell Diag error codes.  It wouldn't particularly help if there was.  The code you report could still be the fault of memory, socket, MB wiring, or chipset.  At best, that code would define which two data lines contained errors, but would not define where along those lines the error occurred.  Substitution with new components is the only definitive diagnostic.

46 Posts

April 24th, 2010 12:00

Re-install os

Why does Dell want  you to try to install os  when it looks clear the HD has failed?

This is an easy answer.  Windows can produce all the signs of an HD failure when in fact the drive is okay.  It should never be the first step though.  Do the drive diagnostics first to see if a 0142 etc. error code shows.  The problem is if the drive is working, that is wounded but not dead, you will get incorrect results often.

If Windows will not re-install it is pretty clear hd is bad but again the DVD can cause a failed install and so can bad media.  Remember the Dell tech relies on your eyes to provide the information.  If you are not accurate the results will not be to your favour possibly.  So you need to be sure the media is clean, DVD works and then if the os will not install it is the hard drive.   I am a tech and can tell you the number one problem you can make for yourself is to be angry when you call.  We can only help you solve YOUR PROBLEM.  We have to get all your information first before the software will allow us to proceed so it is important to be clear.  Give us a wrong ZIP and you won't get that drive on time.  

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 24th, 2010 18:00

It helps if you include the PC model in your posts! ;o) And what BSOD messages are you getting?

Could be a RAM error, rather than a hard drive error, especially if you're getting 8E Stop messages. Since you're talking about replacing the motherboard, I presume this is a desktop. And in that case,

Power off and unplug

Press/hold power button for ~15 sec

Open the case and reseat the RAM modules in their slots and clean out all the dust bunnies. See if it solves the problem.

If not, remove all RAM modules except the one in slot 1 and see what happens. If that's ok, swap all modules into slot 1 until you ID the bum one. If they all work in slot 1, repopulate the remaining slots, one at a time, until you ID a bum slot, in which case you will need a new motherboard.

Ron

October 4th, 2011 07:00

No Events found!