Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 14th, 2011 04:00

How do I power a PCI-E to PCI adapter card for XPS 8300?

Hi,

I have a new XPS 8300 and would like to add a PCI sound card (connects to an external audio interface) salvaged from a previous Dell desktop.

As there's only a PCI-E slot available inside the PC, it looks feasible if I first install a PCI-E to PCI adapter card such as a StarTech PEX1PCI1 http://uk.startech.com/product/PEX1PCI1-PCI-Express-to-PCI-Adapter-Card. The card needs a power supply via its connector (see link for details).

Where and how do I connect to the PC's power supply? Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 14th, 2011 04:00

Hi MScottland,

Open up your case and look around and you should find a spare power connector. You might need an adapter for the power connector as well, and your sound card must be low-profile for this to work.

However, I'm wondering if the simpler and cheaper solution might be to buy a PCIe sound card that has the connector you require.

7 Posts

May 14th, 2011 08:00

Hi Osprey4,

I prefer the simpler solution of a PCIe card which doesn't involve major guddling around inside the case - it's busy enough in there already.

Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 14th, 2011 09:00

Can you tell me what the external device is that you need to connect to? Is it a MIDI device or something?

7 Posts

May 15th, 2011 08:00

A low-profile PCI card connected by cable to an external audio interface.

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 15th, 2011 11:00

I need to know what the external device is.

7 Posts

May 16th, 2011 13:00

It's an Echo Audio Gina3G audio interface www.echoaudio.com/Products/PCI/Gina3G/index.php

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 18th, 2011 06:00

Why don't you contact the manufacturer and ask what they would recommend by way of a PCIe interface?

Let me add the most newer interfaces like this connect via USB, but I'd be surprised if they didn't offer a PCIe connection.

No Events found!