Highlighted
lynnleef
1 Copper

How do I restore my Dimension 2300 desktop to factory settings?

I have tried holding <F8> when the Dell blue splash screen appears, and in the Advanced Options it did not have the Repair System listed in the options. I also attempted <Ctrl> and <F11> during the splash screen and nothing happened. What else can I do that will work? I have all the CDs that came with my desktop, but not the manuals. I am aware you can access the manuals online but I don't know where to look in the manual for these steps.

Thank you in advance!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RoHe
6 Indium

Re: How do I restore my Dimension 2300 desktop to factory settings?

What version of Windows is on this system? The F8 menu option is for Vista and later versions. Ctrl-F11 is for XP.

If this is XP, you have to press Ctrl as soon as you see the narrow blue stripe at top of the screen, then quickly press F11 and release both keys at the same time. Takes a bit of practice. 

Keep in mind if the drive was replaced or reformatting, you've lost access to the factory image on that drive.

You can find guides to reinstalling Windows on Dell PCs here.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos

Hi lynnleef,

Dell Dimension 2300 was not shipped with the Factory Image on it. If you had created Recovery Media when you got the system, you can use that to restore the system back to factory settings. If Recovery Media was not created then you will need to use the Windows re-installation disk to perform clean installation of Windows.

You may refer to the link http://dell.to/16o6sB0 for instructions on installing Windows XP. Also, please check the link http://dell.to/XMJsNP for installing the drivers in correct order. You may use the Resource DVD provided along the system to install the drivers on the system. Please backup the data before installing the Windows as this will cause data loss.

Below are the links to the manuals of this system:

Hope this helps. Please reply if you have any questions.

Thanks & Regards
Saharsh K
#iworkfordell
To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region USA; India. For helpful Dell Support Videos, you may click Here.
0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

I have tried holding <F8> when the Dell blue splash screen appears, and in the Advanced Options it did not have the Repair System listed in the options. I also attempted <Ctrl> and <F11> during the splash screen and nothing happened. What else can I do that will work? I have all the CDs that came with my desktop, but not the manuals. I am aware you can access the manuals online but I don't know where to look in the manual for these steps.

Thank you in advance!

lynnleef

The Dimension 2300 was manufactured and sold prior to 7.16.04, when Dell's PC Restore by Symantec utility was first factory installed on the hard drive.

The best you can carry out is a manual clean reinstall of Windows, that I assume is XP, unless you have updated the operating system.

How to carry out a clean reinstall of XP.

First, disconnect all the peripherals from the system, except the keyboard, mouse and monitor.

You can use the Dell's Guide for a Manual Reinstallation of windows HERE and maybe this interactive guide for a clean reinstall of XP HERE can help.

While installing, remember to delete all existing partitions when you are prompted, then recreate the partitions and format the hard drive, following by installing XP.

Note: If you wish to keep Dell Diagnostics on the hard drive, don't delete the small EISA FAT16 partition.

After installing XP, you need to install the drivers and applications in the correct order.

A hint: After installing each driver, restart the system.

Followed by installing the Anti Virus utility, updating the definitions, then all the critical Microsoft updates.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

0 Kudos