Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 4th, 2009 11:00

How many people successfully update Bios 1.0.5 Inspiron 518 64bit OS

I googled and looks like Bios 1.0.5 is not working for who has 64bit operating system installed.  I currently had legit copy of 64bit XP and my friend had 64bit Vista.  I ordered HD4870 and new PSU and waiting them to come.  Didn't received them so my inspiron has all the stock elements from dell.  Unfortunately, I updated(XP 64bit) bios 1.0.5 today(looks like there was PCI-E error related + heat issue if you actually put high end graphic card) and while it was flashing it gave me error message flash failed.  When you restart, motherboard is completely dead...  I can see orange light and PSU has green light so... it is powered... but you can't do anything.. it doesn't even boot.

I called my friend who has same computer and hey don't install the bios 1.0.5 on your coputer since you have 64bit vista... and it was too late.  His computer was completely dead also. 

So as of right now, I and my friend is waiting to tech to come ti replace everything and make my comp back to normal.  I am not sure how many people was successful to update bios 1.0.5 for inspiron 518 with 64bit os installed but my advice is don't do it or see if anyone was successfully finished uploading bios 1.0.5 with 64bit operating system.

1 Message

March 12th, 2009 10:00

I had the exact same problem. Windows XP Pro x64. Computer was trashed. Dell had to come to replace my entire motherboard. Took over a week.

March 13th, 2009 11:00

My mother was fixed by dell pretty recently.  The motherboard was actually loaded with bios 1.0.5.  So I actually installed Vista 64bit one more time.  As of right now, it works without any problem.. I am not sure what it is... but I don't think it is smart idea to install 64bit in inspiron 518.  I clean installed Vista 64bit Business.  I had to find some drivers manualy; however, you have to use chipset driver from Vista 32bit to get rid of SM Bus controller(it was only way for me) then it should be gone.  The network drive is same for 32bit or 64bit Vista.  I can't really say for XP 64bit since I am not going to try again.

After I install everthing and looked good.  I turne off computer and guess what... it stop on the dell logo again!!!!!

I was like WOW this is crazy!!!!  I restarted couple time; however, the bar right under the dell logo won't go higher then half way... I think I probably turned off and turning back on like 3-5 times and unplus Sata cable from HD couple times(putting into different slot) turning off computer completely(as take the power cord out). 

I gave up and left the machine for 30 min(power cord was unplugged) and called dell again.  The tech rep ask me to turn on the computer and wala.. now it is working without any problem.  I was like WOW....  This is crazy!!!!!.  So for about 1 week, My computer is running with Vista 64bit without any hick-ups.  I guess this can be success story but I am always worried that my comp never comes back to life lol.  I hope you a greatest luck with XP 64bit.  I would like give you more info; however, I do not want to install xp 64bit on my system again.  I feel like something bad happen if I install the XP 64bit...

I guess I used wrong words lol so they deleted my post...

No Events found!