Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 2nd, 2007 22:00

How should I clean inside my desktop pc?

I'm going to install a new drive, so I'll be in there anyway, may as well clean it at the same time.  I know it's very dusty.  Can I use a vacuum cleaner with a small tip then follow that with compressed air?  What maximum air pressure is recommended?  Obviously want to get the dust off, but also obviously don't want to blow components off boards either.  I have a garage air compressor with a regulator so I can adjust the psi output.

14.4K Posts

November 2nd, 2007 23:00

the problem with using a vacuum cleaner is that they can generate static electricity. this is genterated by the action of the suction through the plastic parts.

This is not much of an issue with a battery operated vacuum and you can pick them up at electronic stores.

5.8K Posts

Many people use a can of compressed air. I've heard that vacuums are not recommended although, I'm not sure I see the problem with them. So, you air compressor should be fine as long as you can control the pressure and only air comes out of it.

Peter

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

scott_walowsky

Use canned compressed air, read the instructions prior to use.

More information here.

Bev.

===================================================
Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.

81 Posts

November 3rd, 2007 00:00

Be careful with a home/shop air compressor.  They tend to have a small amount of moisture in them.

5.8K Posts

November 3rd, 2007 01:00

@Davet50 wrote:
the problem with using a vacuum cleaner is that they can generate static electricity. this is genterated by the action of the suction through the plastic parts.
This is not much of an issue with a battery operated vacuum and you can pick them up at electronic stores.

I wonder if anyone has actually determined this be a problem or it is one of those "old wives' tails."

Given that the vacuum cleaner is pulling air from the computer, I don't see how the static charged air could affect anything (except something in the vacuum cleaner exhaust).

Peter

5.8K Posts

November 3rd, 2007 01:00

@FullCry wrote:
Be careful with a home/shop air compressor. They tend to have a small amount of moisture in them.

They do seem like overkill.

Peter

16 Posts

March 31st, 2008 17:00

How do you get inside to blow it out? I know nothing about computers and I wouldn't dare try to take it apart. Can I just blow air into all the openings or put a vacuum hose up to the openings and get the the dust out. I am severely disabled and this adds to the problem...I also do not want to void the warranty.

For some reason they took offense at the proper word to use to get the vacuum cleaner to **** the dust out and I don't know any other word to put there?????? I don't believe it!! 

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 31st, 2008 18:00

yankee1620

Maybe you have a relative or a neighbour that can assist you, because even if you buy a new computer, it will also need cleaning periodical.

The instructions for removing the 4700 cover, are here

Bev.

Ps. Dell still has new computers with XP for sale, but for how long, I have no idea.

16 Posts

Thanks...I am severely disabled and unable to even pick the computer up. It is in a computer desk and is down near the floor...I am not able to get on the floor...so I guess it will just have to stay dusty, but it is sometimes getting warm and getting noisy. I have two cats and I am a heavy smoker which adds to the problem. The only solution seems to be to get a new computer but I will *never, never get Vista!!

It is a Dimension 4700 with XP Pro... 

5.8K Posts

It doesn't void the warranty to open the case and it is very easy and safe (Dell has instructions in the manuals at support.dell.com).  You can try blowing air in through the CPU fan and heatsink without opening the case.  Compressed air works very well.

Peter 

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

yankee1620

You need to open the computer's case.

Using a domestic vacuum cleaner is not recommended, because it can damage the components. Use canned compressed air, read the insructions prior to use. this can be purchased from any computer store or WalMart.

If you post the computer model, I could give the procedures for opening the case.

Bev.

5.8K Posts

@shesagordie wrote:

Using a domestic vacuum cleaner is not recommended, because it can damage the components.

I've heard this several times now and have been wondering how it can damage components.  Is there any support to this statement?  Would an imported vacuum be better ;).

Peter 

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 31st, 2008 19:00

Peter.

Ok, how about 'household vacuum cleaner, but I think using 'domestic vacuum cleaner' still conveys the same meaning. LOL :) :)

About the other subject, see here for a good place to start and I wish you luck with researching the subject. :)

Bev.

5.8K Posts

Pretty much all I could find were the same claim that you made. I am an electrical engineer and just don't see where all this static is coming from. Moving air? Well the compressed air is moving too.  The vacuum is an electric fan that moves air, much like all the fans in the computer. They could be called vacuums also.

I was just curious if you new the basis of the claim.

Peter

Message Edited by PETER345 on 03-31-2008 01:55 PM

16 Posts

Thanks anyway, Bev...

I guess I am just out of luck. No neighbors...no relatives. Anyone I know lives far away and would be too frightened of being electrocuted since none of them even have a computer...LOL. I have an extended warranty so the best thing to do is just let it break down and have them fix it...Thanks for your help...I am old as dirt and twice as dumb.... 

(The only Dell computers with XP are business computers... )

No Events found!