Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

December 3rd, 2006 21:00

How to Enable the Numeric Keypad on my Inspiron™ 9300?

I had this machine for almost a year now, and I still have no clue as how to Enable the Numeric Keypad on my Inspiron™ 9300.
I want to play a game called Sid Meier's Pirates!, which would definitely need the Numeric Keypad for control.

I read a related FAQ: How do I enable and disable the Numeric Keypad on my Inspiron™ 3000 or 3200?
Enable
To activate the Embedded Numeric Keypad on the Inspiron 3000 or 3200, hold down the Function key, which is the blue [Fn] key on the lower left hand side of the keyboard and then press the [Num Lk] key twice.
Disable
To deactivate the Embedded Numeric Keypad, press the [Num Lk] key once, which will restore functionality to the letters on the keyboard.
But I can't find my [Num Lk] anywhere, and I wonder whether 9300 machine has this [Num Lk].

BTW, the Num Lk in my BIOS is set to ON, but in Windows XP, it's OFF.

Can anyone help?

2.5K Posts

December 3rd, 2006 22:00

Wrong forum aside, the Num Lk key is a tiny key near the top right corner of the keyboard, between Prnt Scrn and Pause (words in white).

On the 9300, if the Num Lk is enabled in the BIOS, there is no need to follow the instructions for 3200 - it is a very old notebook model afterall.  Simple press the Num Lk key on the keyboard once (the Num Lk indicator will light up) and the numeric pad becomes active.

If Num Lk setting is disabled in the BIOS, you need to press Fn when using the numeric pad in addition to enabling Num Lk on the keyboard.

It's all in the user's manual.

Message Edited by esquire on 12-04-200608:36 AM

11.9K Posts

December 3rd, 2006 22:00

mm6ff8 wrote:
I had this machine for almost a year now, and I still have no clue as how to Enable the Numeric Keypad on my Inspiron™ 9300.
I want to play a game called Sid Meier's Pirates!, which would definitely need the Numeric Keypad for control.

I read a related FAQ: How do I enable and disable the Numeric Keypad on my Inspiron™ 3000 or 3200?
Enable
To activate the Embedded Numeric Keypad on the Inspiron 3000 or 3200, hold down the Function key, which is the blue [Fn] key on the lower left hand side of the keyboard and then press the [Num Lk] key twice.
Disable
To deactivate the Embedded Numeric Keypad, press the [Num Lk] key once, which will restore functionality to the letters on the keyboard.
But I can't find my [Num Lk] anywhere, and I wonder whether 9300 machine has this [Num Lk].

BTW, the Num Lk in my BIOS is set to ON, but in Windows XP, it's OFF.

Can anyone help?

You've posted on the Dimension - General Hardware forum, not the Portable forum.

10 Posts

December 3rd, 2006 23:00

I don't know how many times my eyes pass through the Num Lk/Scroll Lk without really seeing the word Num Lk.

I've done some keyword search and read the other FAQ, it says press the combination [Fn + Num Lk] twice.
Then, I've tried [Fn + every key on my keyboard] twice, which actually turn any feacture ON and then OFF for this machine.

I've just found out the label [Num Lk] somehow little earlier by myself, and came here to intend to tell everyone that I've found it and don't bother.
And I'm glad that people have posted answers already.
Thanks, everyone.

About the "wrong forum", I'm really sorry.
I've never used the word "Portable" to refer to laptop or notebook, so I didn't even open that branch of forum before.

10 Posts

December 3rd, 2006 23:00

For anyone had similar questions and happen to read here, here's one more thing:
If you don't want to hold on Fn every time you intend to use keypad, set it up in your BIOS.

No Events found!