Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

W

June 18th, 2015 21:00

How to flash BIOS on Inspiron 2330 AIO

Power comes on, fans are on, system spins cdrom drive, then dark purple screen and that's it. No Dell logo. I downloaded the flash for my service tag on my laptop. It's an executable file. How can I execute it if my Inspiron won't boot?

780 Posts

June 19th, 2015 07:00

Hi,

Thank you for reaching us.

To flash the BIOS from USB, Please create a bootable USB key and copy the file to the flash drive.

Change the following BIOS settings.

• Boot Options is set to Legacy
  • USB Boot Enabled
  • Use the USB Flash Drive to boot from F12 menu
  • Upon booting, You would receive the DOS Prompt with a C:\>
  • Type DIR and hit enter
  • You would get the list of the file on the USB Flash Drive which here would be only the BIOS File
  • Ensure that the Power adapter is connected to the unit before BIOS Flash is initiated.
  • Type the BIOS File Name in the command prompt with the file Extension and hit enter
  • You would get a prompt after that confirming about the BIOS Flash, press “Y” on the keyboard
  • The BIOS would be updated

Above steps apart, Why are we flashing the BIOS? What if the issue is with the screen?

Can you try connecting an external display or a TV to check if you get the display on it?

Thank you

10 Posts

June 19th, 2015 11:00

The problem is I can't get into BIOS. As I remember, the boot options are HD, USB, CD in that order and UEFI with secured boot.  I have used Rufus which creates DOS bootable USB for the purpose of flashing the BIOS. I put the A13 BIOS executable for my service tag on the USB and tried to boot but the same result. I hear the power fans and cdrom sounding off and the screen goes dark purple, followed by a black screen. I have attached a different monitor but no display.  I would prefer the BIOS update files to be BAT files like in the old days, not a executable. Can you supply the DOS files to perform the update for Inspiron One 2330 A14 BIOS?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

June 19th, 2015 12:00

Why do you think flashing BIOS is going to help if it's already not working properly? You may make things even worse...

The symptoms could mean an LCD panel failure, an AV board failure, etc, etc, and have nothing to do with BIOS.

You might consider clearing BIOS by removing the motherboard battery and then pressing/holding the power button for ~30 sec before reinstalling the battery See the manual for details about removing the battery.

Working inside an AIO can be very challenging. So if you're under warranty contact Dell Tech Support for assistance, and if not, maybe you should take it to a reputable PC shop for diagnosis and repair.

10 Posts

June 19th, 2015 13:00

I have attached a different monitor with no luck.  The warranty expired March 2015. I will try the removing the coin battery and hold power for 30 secs. Thanks for the information.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

June 19th, 2015 14:00

I have attached a different monitor with no luck.

Could still mean the AV board failed or even the power inverter board.

Can I assume you connected that other monitor to the VGA-out port on the 2330?  Your system may  also have the optional VGA-in port so you have to be sure to use the right VGA port. And the HDMI port is for input only (eg, from an xbox) and not for connecting an external monitor.

Have you tried cycling the (optional) Input-source selection / Display-off button on the side of the screen, above the power button, in case you accidentally pressed it and turned off the built-in LCD display and/or when you tried the external monitor?

Nothing you've said so far convinces me that updating BIOS, assuming you could, will fix this....

10 Posts

June 19th, 2015 15:00

Yes, I used the VGA-out port on the back. I pulled the battery and held the power button down for 60 seconds, then put the battery back in. Now it's powering on and powering off and powering on again and powering off.  I understand the the actual BIOS is in NVAM so the OS is not the cause. I checked the video options buttons on the side and it is set to computer.  I attached VGA monitor to the VGA out port and the monitor indicates no cable attached even though I have set the 2330 to VGA on side buttons.  I guess I'm going to have a tech look at it and see if it's bricked or not.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

June 19th, 2015 18:00

Powering on/off could be as "simple" as the inverter board failed.

And the external monitor isn't getting a video signal if you're getting "no cable" message, which could be caused by low/no power or the AV board failed, or maybe even that one of the internal cables got disconnected.

Hope the tech can fix it for you. Post back and let us know what happens.

Good luck!

3 Posts

December 28th, 2015 09:00

My system upgrade bios a14 then after that power on few second off it keep on and off like this,

i'm try clean cmos, try difference monitor, bad bios flash, i think motherboard it dead

before I like Dell system,i bought to many from dell, but now I have to think again .

10 Posts

December 28th, 2015 16:00

Actually the motherboard failed.  My PC was still under warranty and Dell sent a tech to my house. He replaced it and everything is fine now.

3 Posts

December 28th, 2015 19:00

my warranty it over,i had to paid for myself.

No Events found!