Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 31st, 2008 00:00

How to properly remove Creative X-Fi from your xps 730 H2C?

How to properly remove Creative X-Fi from your xps 730 H2C? Do I need to remove the card and then uninstall the drivers or vice-versa?

418 Posts

ArmandStanger wrote: 

and i have heard in forums before that if i don't wear something called anti-static wrist band or something like that, the motherboard will be fried. now if i don't have the band, there is another thing i can do which is to touch a certain part of the computer. can you please tell me where exactly i have to touch to make sure i don't have any electricity in my body. should i do the whole thiing barefooted or should i be wearing sandals, shoes etc? i know these are all noob questions but i have never done anything like this before. 

thanks once again for your support :)

Once you have the case open.  Just touch a metal part of the frame of the case before you touch anything else.  Make sure you still have the powercord plugged in when you do this.
If you walk away and come back, make sure you discharge yourself again.

513 Posts

I would remove the card first. 

This way the operating system is not tempted to find new drivers on its own once you remove the drivers.

I hope this solves your issue.

terrific logic. i just wanted to make sure i wasn't going to mess up my 7000 dollar aircraft lol. thanks and by the way, when the back part of the PC is facing me, do i open the right hand side or left hand side part of the casing? back part of the PC means the side where you plug in your power cable, vga/dvi adapter etc.

and i have heard in forums before that if i don't wear something called anti-static wrist band or something like that, the motherboard will be fried. now if i don't have the band, there is another thing i can do which is to touch a certain part of the computer. can you please tell me where exactly i have to touch to make sure i don't have any electricity in my body. should i do the whole thiing barefooted or should i be wearing sandals, shoes etc? i know these are all noob questions but i have never done anything like this before. 

513 Posts

October 31st, 2008 01:00

Looking from the back, the left side comes off.  You will see a lever toward the top left side.  Pull this toward you and the entire side unlatches.  It is a very slick system.

October 31st, 2008 02:00

alright guys...so i did it like a pro...removed the casing the way elk told me to...then unscrewed the card, pulled out nvidia's sli cable, unplugged a peculiar cord that was attached to the creative audio card, then took away the card and replugged the sli cable and closed the PC. then turned it on and uninstalled anything that had anything to do with Creative. now when i right click on the volume icon and click playback devices, it says "Realtek HDMI Output" and under that "Realtek High definition audio" and under that "working". but my apple iphone's headphone is now plugged into the headphone jack in front of the PC and there is no sound coming out of it. is there anything I'm missing?  how can one live without sound? :( please help me. I'm almost done with this.

513 Posts

October 31st, 2008 03:00

I believe you can get your front panel jacks working by plugging that little cord you removed from the soundcard into the "front panel audio header" (no. 20) on your motherboard/systemboard. 

Click on this link and scroll down a little bit.  You will see a diagram of the system board (upside down from how it is mounted in your system).  Locate the front panel audio header and plug the cord in.  clicky 

You may want to first try to see if the back audio jacks are working.  You will need to remove a little black cover with the international symbol for "no" on it.  This is there to keep you from using these jacks if a sound card is installed.  Now that you have taken the soundcard out, these remaining jacks are now the ones to use.  If there is no sound from the back, you may need to turn Realtek High definition audio on in the BIOS.  This is not hard so don't panic. :)

You are doing great.  All of this is confusing the first time you start playing with computers.

Isn't the way the side of the case comes off neat?

306 Posts

October 31st, 2008 13:00

@Garred wrote:

ArmandStanger wrote: 

Once you have the case open.  Just touch a metal part of the frame of the case before you touch anything else.  Make sure you still have the powercord plugged in when you do this.
If you walk away and come back, make sure you discharge yourself again.

I agree with you that you have to keep the computer plugged in so that any static discharge is grounded. I go one step further. I switch off the power on my power strip so that the motherboard isn't being powered with standby voltage (as indicated by the MB LED) while still maintaining ground. 

No Events found!