Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 9th, 2016 14:00

How to reinstall windows Win10 on a Dell??

Hello,

I brought my first Dell device a Desktop PC in July this year. It was running perfectly until this morning when I turned it on but Mozilla Firefox Browser wouldn't open. I had been sing Chrome for over an hour and it was working fine. So I did a re-start, it booted, but got stuck saying "Restarting" with the circle going around but nothing more happened for nearly minutes so I turned it off at the wall.  Tried it again but same thing happened so I tuned it off at the wall again and left it that way.

Meanwhile I hunted the entire place house looking for the Dell Box with paperwork, discs cables etc but I cant find it anywhere, which is very odd as i am always very organised and have kept everything PC related, in fact I still have all my old PC parts etc from 1998.   Presuming that I would have to reinstall windows like I'ce done a zillion times before with old PCs was no problem can do it with my eyes closed except..... I had NO windows disc!!!

Trying not to let the panic set in,  I turned it back on at the wall and the Tower, and to my great relief it started normally. The first thing I did was log into my Dell account but became concerned when in my account details areas, there was no mention at all of my purchase of this new PC back in July. 

My question: ... How do i reinstall windows on this Dell???

I know, its embarrassing, having to ask such a basic task...  but would appreciate some help please.

Many thanks
Helen

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 10th, 2016 10:00

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

December 10th, 2016 13:00

Pretty much as the others said.  Once Windows 10 has been activated it has an online activation so you can install and activate without license keys.

You should be able to download an image from Dell or use the Microsoft Media Creation Tool to set up a flash drive or download an .iso file for use with a flash drive or DVD. Just make sure you select Windows 10 and not the Single Language version.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

December 10th, 2016 12:00

You can also download generic Windows 10 directly from Microsoft. I haven't tried using it with a System-locked Preactivation machine like a late model Dell, though.

5 Posts

December 10th, 2016 13:00

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR SPEEDY REPLIES.

I found out yesterday that Dell DO NOT send out the Windows 10 disc with the new PC, which is why i couldn't find one, so that dilemma is solved. :-).

Will use the MMCT as you suggested. 

Thank you so much.
Helen xo

5 Posts

December 10th, 2016 14:00

Thank you very much. :-)

5 Posts

December 10th, 2016 14:00

Thank you.

No Events found!