Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 27th, 2008 21:00

I Hate Vista

Is it possible to downgrade to XP through Dell as I wish I had chosen that option now.  Vista is more trouble than Its worth. It wont run FS2004 without big issues not to mention other games.  Its security drives me potty and it seems I spend my time tweeking and experimenting with this OS rather than getting on with what I I would rather be doing.

68 Posts

May 28th, 2008 19:00

Microsoft will not care that it previously had Vista on it.  Their only concern is that you legally obtained the software.

552 Posts

May 28th, 2008 19:00

@ckoharik wrote:
Microsoft will not care that it previously had Vista on it.  Their only concern is that you legally obtained the software.

Thanks for that confirmation. I know this, as do many, but some may not. This information may help those that are unaware of how the process works. Thanks again

64 Posts

May 28th, 2008 21:00

Buy a Dell XP Pro disc on eBay.  They usually go for about £10.

306 Posts

May 30th, 2008 20:00

SP1 or SP2

Its my understanding that SP1 does not have SATA drivers and SP2 does.

Mike

65 Posts

I'll check that out in a mo. Its xp upgrade but I don't even get to the stage where I insert my Win 98 disk

I have checked out that link and its probably that sata controller drivers but if I press F6 to install these, the xp setup tell me it cant find a floppy drive.  If I can't find a solution I will consider hooking up a floppy to my machine and see how that works out. Obviously I would prefer a more simple option. Surely a copy of a Dell xps 630 XP drivers disk would solve it but I have already asked on the xps 630 forum if anyone in the UK could do me a copy. No replies. 

Message Edited by Maturecheese on 05-30-2008 05:04 PM

306 Posts

What version of Xp are you trying to load: Retail/Upgrade, SP1/SP2?

Mike

Also check out this link: Advanced troubleshooting for "Stop 0x0000007B" errors in Windows XP

Message Edited by LeahcimAz on 05-30-2008 02:47 PM

65 Posts

Right here goes. I have wiped my HDD with Seagate disk wizard and created a new partition. When I try to install xp home it goes through the prelimimary setup until its time to load windows and then I get this.

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop screen error, restart your computer. If this sreen appears again follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer.

Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers.

Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated.

Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption and restart your computer.

Technical Information

Stop: 0x0000007b (0xF78D2524,0xc0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000)

Now I suspect as previously mentioned its the sata and possibly the chipset drivers, but how do I remedy this. I tried slipstreaming these into windows xp but alas to no avail. Help!!!

edit I have tried making a bootable usb with HP usb disk storage format tool and putting the drivers on that but that hasn't worked. It could be me of course. I also tried it with nero bootable disk no joy.

Message Edited by Maturecheese on 05-30-2008 04:35 PM
edit2 Ideally I need a Dell xps630  XP driver disk 
Message Edited by Maturecheese on 05-30-2008 04:42 PM

65 Posts

May 30th, 2008 21:00

Sp2 But like I said its looking for OEM drivers from a floppy.

I'll plug a floppy drive in tomorrow and ground it somewhere on the chassis and give it another go

Message Edited by Maturecheese on 05-30-2008 05:14 PM

64 Posts

May 30th, 2008 21:00

I have a copy of XP Pro with SP2, I'm also in the UK.

65 Posts

May 30th, 2008 22:00

Thanks mate but its a copy of a  Dell xps 630i   XP drivers disk I need as I has an XP windows disk

64 Posts

May 30th, 2008 22:00

But if you have a SP2 disc you won't need to boot from a floppy.

64 Posts

May 31st, 2008 09:00

Ok mate but what I'm getting at is the SATA drivers you need are on the XP Pro with SP2 Disc.

65 Posts

May 31st, 2008 09:00

I don't need to boot from a floppy,  I need to use a floppy to install Dell sata drivers when the XP disc asks for them after pressing F6 during the initial setup stage.  I have tried using the card reader as my floppy and I half works.  Windows installation recognises the card reader as a floppy but the drivers from Dell aren't working. Now that could well be the way I am trying to do it or the drivers could be faulty.  There are three sets of drivers I think I need initially. these are Sata drivers,sata application and chipset drivers.  I have assumed the first set of drivers to go with are the sata ones, so I unpacked them to my card in the card reader and tried that.  One of the files fails.  Some thing like oem.txt but to be honest I can't remember as I've just got up.

65 Posts

May 31st, 2008 10:00

Ok I see your point. I'll download a torrent copy of xp pro sp2 and try that to get the drivers to load then I'll quit the installation and load up my genuine copy. I've never had this kind of trouble loading an OS before. Its a nightmare:smileyhappy:

edit  I Tried XP Pro sp2 and the result is exactly the same.

Message Edited by Maturecheese on 05-31-2008 08:38 AM

65 Posts

May 31st, 2008 13:00

There is a god:smileyvery-happy: It is working at last.  I removed the xp pro disc inserted my mini sd card with a fresh download of the sata drivers,put in my geniune copy of XP sp2 Home and got a different menu this time.  It asked me what type of computer I had and went on to laod nvidia sata drivers. Admittedly it tried to load windows on to my minisd card but all I had to do was scroll down to my, at that moment unrecognised HDD, and creat a partition and then format, which is where im at now.   Thanks to all who tried helping.
No Events found!