Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

September 26th, 2008 18:00

I just CANNOT overclock my XPS 630i

First of all, let me start by saying that I have already searched and read all related topics before posting this.

I got my 630 about 3 weeks ago and it has been great so far.  One problem that is really bugging me is that it just won't overclock well at all.  I followed all the directions and such other people posted but in the end the computer ends up restarting on me.

I first disable the C1E and Soeedstep, raised my FSB and voltages.  My first attempt was 1333 FSB with 1.4v for the CPU and core.  It ended up crashing after a while.  Then, I tried 1300 with the same voltage, and it crashed.  Then, I went down to 1200 with 1.4v for CPU and core and 2.0v  for memor.  It passed P95 for 8 hours so I thought it as stable.  A few hours later, it crashed.

Now, if I even try 1333, it crashes before even getting into windows.

I'm just angry that while I see so many people easily hitting 3.0ghz on their computers with lower voltage and I can't even maintain 2.7ghz.

Any advices?

XPS630i:

Q6600 2.4ghz

4GB stock memory

Dual 9800 GT

85 Posts

did you unlink CPU/Memory

145 Posts

I'm pretty much in the same boat.  I too am having difficulties OCing my q6600. 

My current settings are disabled ce1,speedsteep, unlinked fsb and mem, set qdr to 1400 for 3.15GHz.

Set the CPU- voltage to 1.45 ( a bit hight but if it works great, i don't dare go to 1.5), fsb voltage to 1.4, and mem and chipset i left on auto.

Ran prime for 16 hours before i decided to stop, i might try a 24hour test this weekend.

This however doesn't guarantee that i'm stable.  I've been trying to play crysis for the past week but it would constantly crash and reboot my machine after about 20+mins of play.

So if the settings above doesn't cause and reboots in any of my games i'll report back and say it's stable.

I have a feeling it might be nvidia drivers that are also conflicting with things, could be the esa stuff or the forceware video drivers.  I have read that others are having problems with the OC and the 177 forceware drivers.  

The 178 however didn;t solve anything.  I hope that gives some insight into the situation.

Also, i found out that the sidebar doesn't like my OC so i disabled it.  I might turn it on again if crysis doesn't crash after 2 hours of play. 

21 Posts

September 26th, 2008 23:00

I cannot OC either on my 730 Q9550.  If I use the ESA software my machine will crash promptly even if its a slight increase.  If I change my settings in the Bios my computer is stable on reboot and windows loadup until ESA software is loaded up.  Starting to think it prolly has something to do with this very sad ESA software?

36 Posts

September 27th, 2008 02:00

54 Posts

September 27th, 2008 02:00

I can not overclock my 630i at all. Not even by 1 mhz. It always fails to post.

9 Posts

September 27th, 2008 16:00

I've seen that video 4 times.  It tells me nothing specific at all.

36 Posts

September 28th, 2008 02:00

:)

513 Posts

September 28th, 2008 11:00

As already suggested, try unlinking your CPU and memory.  Your memory may very well be complaining well before your CPU.

Leave the memory speed alone and try just slowly increasing the CPU speed on its own.  You probably won't need any additional voltage for a bit.

9 Posts

September 28th, 2008 16:00

Sorry, forgot to mention that I did unlink the CPU and the memory.  The reason I upped the voltage is that increasing the CPU speed without doing that makes my computer crash.

513 Posts

September 28th, 2008 19:00

Here is a nice guide for overclocking.  Perhaps this will help: Clicky

453 Posts

September 29th, 2008 02:00

My 630 can get up to 3.67GHz. If I go any higher, it will just reboot. I tried 3.8GHz, but the system would not post. The 630 is just not a great overclocker. It's really for non-enthusiasts who want a machine that can do some moderate overclocking, but nothing dramatic. It also has the WORST MOTHERBOARD ever designed. Dell should have been fined for using that 650i castrated Nvidia board. The thing is a useless piece of garbage. That may alos be a big part of everyon's overclocking problem!

475 Posts

September 29th, 2008 02:00

What Bios Revision is every getting their OC results at. In OC'ing advice should be on an "apples to apples" basis as OC'ing is somewhat flakey to begin with on the 630i. Also there have been reports of the Q9xxx series being difficult to OC for unknown reasons so far.

Sean

75 Posts

September 30th, 2008 14:00

Frankly you must just not be that educated about overclocking.  It's not the PC - it's your chip.  The E8500 has a LOCKED MULTIPLIER.  So unlike chips that have unlocked multipliers, you cannot OC just the CPU.  In order to overclock a chip with a locked multiplier, you have to OC the FSB.  So not only is your chip being OCed, your FSB and RAM is as well.  It's more likely that the FSB or RAM cant handle the OC your giving it. S 

475 Posts

September 30th, 2008 15:00

bfowlkes,

Who are you directing the comment at?

Frankly you must just not be that educated about overclocking.  It's not the PC - it's your chip.  The E8500 has a LOCKED MULTIPLIER.

All the posters in this thread  with OC'ing problems appear to have Q series chips. I on the other hand am not attempting to OC as I have a 420 presently which does not provide for overclocking through the BIOS. All but the QX or EX processors have locked multipliers... so what exectly is the point?

Sean

Message Edited by shdbcamping1 on 09-30-2008 12:09 PM

9 Posts

September 30th, 2008 19:00

bfowlkes

Did you even read all of our posts?  First of all, we have Q-series quad core cpus, not the dual core E-series.  Second, I DID overclock the FSB.  That was written on the very first post.  I also increase the voltage on the RAM, so before telling others they are uneducated, read the entire thread you goon.

No Events found!