Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 2nd, 2007 23:00

I'm looking for a conductive trace repair pen, or keyboard fix trick???

Ok so I'm a complete fool. Spilt some water on my key board, and instead of just letting it dry out.  I decided to clean it from top to bottom....  have done it before.  BUT...... this time I thought I'd clean up some corrosion on the ribbon connection to the circuit board.  I didn't realize how thin the traces are (heh, or should I say WERE).  Taking a very fine sand paper to buff the contacts clean completely erased the traces from the plastic membrane.
  I did a search for something like this in the user forums and came across this quote from a posting maid in 2001:

"conductive trace repair pens. It looks like a fine point roller ball pen but has ink with a silver base. I've used it to fix keyboards that had corrosion on the membrane inside"

I've done the google search for this sort of item but I cant seem to find it anywhere.  Do they still exsist? And do they have a different name or be called something different?

I've also found a 'tip' to use an auto rear defroster repair kit (containts coper based paint.) I think I'd be a little handier with a pen then a brush. I have not checked prices yet, but the pen sounds like it might be cheaper.?? I was also wondering about the metal tape for fixing mufflers???

any tips ideas, etc... are welcome... the cheaper fix the better (paid $3.99 thrift store).  I have about 8 different keyboards, but this one is my favoriate one I'd like to try to fix it if possiable. It's an older cirque electronics keyboard with the glidepoint technology (built in finger mouse pad).

man I feel stuipd!

any ideas on fixing????

-James

147 Posts

August 3rd, 2007 00:00

ok.... after taking out 'fry's electronics', 'trace' 'repair', and 'keyboard'......  google came back with a lot of conductive pens, cheapest one in my area I have found is $17.99.

are there any other 'cheaper' ideas???? say $5 and under???

thanks again.
james. 

1 Rookie

• 

3.9K Posts

August 3rd, 2007 01:00

I'd just replace the Keyboard

147 Posts

August 3rd, 2007 12:00

:smileymad:    ya, I know replace it.....   Nope, I want to get her up and running.  I really like that keyboard.  :smileyhappy:  There have to be some tricks out there that I just dknot know about.... 

I've been considering pulling back the protective tape and cutting 1/2 inch off of it. but then it will not reach the jack to plug it into. I have also been thinking about looking into one of my old keyboards to see if there is a connector with the same number of traces. cut about 2-3 inches off of it, take off the prtective plastic, turn the add in peace over so the traces make contact some how joining them together, then plugging it in. 

but I was hoping some techi out there has a simple quick fix for me?

1 Message

April 25th, 2014 11:00

Use pencil lead.

http://mods-n-hacks.wonderhowto.com/how-to/quick-n-dirty-circuit-board-repair-patch-faded-corroded-traces-with-pencil-lead-0148438/

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

April 25th, 2014 12:00

This thread is seven years old and has been locked, if you have a similar issue, please use the 'New post' feature at the top of this page and start a new thread.

Bev.    

No Events found!