Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 18th, 2014 03:00

IRST mSATA Failure warnings

Hi

I recently purchased an XPS 8700, i7 4700, 16 GB, 650 Ti 1GB, 2 TB HDD, 32 GB Msata. I upgraded to Win 8.1 and installed all the new drivers and upgraded my BIOS to A06 as recommended on the Dell website.

For the past few days, I have been getting repeated SMART notifications from IRST, warning me that the SSD used as Device cache in RAID 0 setup is at risk of failure. This is unusual since I purchased the system on the 31st of December 2013 and its been only a few weeks. It would be helpful if somebody could help me out with this issue. I have already contacted DELL and me being in Qatar is making it difficult to get comprehensive support although they have opened a case docket.

Any expert comments are welcome.

21 Posts

January 18th, 2014 05:00

Hello Anil.

Did you disable the acceleration in IRST before updating to windows 8.1?

If you did not this can sometimes cause issues with the mSATA activating the cache function.

First of all make sure your SATA operation in BIOS (located under the advanced option) is set to RAID or intel technology.

To try and fix this disable the acceleration (located in accelerate, there should be a button named accelerate) and try a windows refresh to go back to win8 and have the acceleration disabled before upgrading to win 8.1

Once again make sure RAID/intel is the chosen SATA method after reboot.

If it is try and boot up to see if you can accelerate the disk.

If you have any questions regarding mSATA or IRST feel free to ask.

Br.

21 Posts

January 22nd, 2014 05:00

Usually it's BIOS>chipset>Graphics>network>touchpad

Those are the driver that affect hardware the most and can cause major issues.

Br.

7 Posts

January 18th, 2014 06:00

Hello KGPB

Thank you for the response. I did not disable the acceleration before the 8.1 update. Well I am going to try what you had suggested and I would post my feedback. Do I rollback to win 8? Please advise me how to do that safely!! I don't need a step by step but general guidance. Thank you.

Rgds

7 Posts

KGPB

Thank you. Shall do as advised. I need to back up a few files before I rollback. Shall keep you informed. Thanks again.

Rgds

21 Posts

Hello Anil.

With windows refresh you will rollback to windows 8.

The windows refresh will remove all installed apps.

You can find the windows refresh by dragging the mouse along the right side of your screen and choosing settings>change computer settings>backup and recovery.

Br.

7 Posts

January 22nd, 2014 05:00

Hi KPGB

I did as you recommended and it does seem to work OK now. No warnings from IRST for the past couple of days since I rolled back to win 8 after disabling acceleration and then upgraded to win 8.1 and upgrading drivers. The only difference seems to be that MacAfee has completely disappeared from the status bar but when I initiate the program, it does display as active and does background scans and all. I can live with that!

Thank you very much for your advise.

Dell Middle East had actually asked me to roll back to win 8 or run the system without IRST!

One final question: Is there any particular order to install the system drivers? I do know that one has to upgrade the BIOS, system management and chipset before others, but besides that is there any particular order?

Regards

Anil

7 Posts

January 22nd, 2014 10:00

Hi KPGB

I failed to notice a few issues since I have a wired internet connection active. Since the upgrade the wireless and Bluetooth doesn't seem to work. I tried to install the drivers from the dell website and initially I got a message indicating that it is impossible to install since I already have a higher version of drivers installed. I then disabled the wless and Bluetooth and then uninstalled them from control panel. I then installed the drivers from the dell site which installed proper but still I cannot connect to my wless nor does my GNote 3 discover the xps and vice versa.

Earlier, running 8.1, I could connect both and I have a feeling that it could be an issue with the sequence of drivers that I installed after upgrade.

Moreover after xps boots, the IRST icon does not appear for a long time on the status bar and it does take around a minute for it to appear. When it appears it has a blue ring and indicates that the IRST service has not started yet. In another minute or so the icon gets a green tick mark and indicates that IRST is working now. Why is there a delay? I do suspect the sequence of installation again.

Kindly help me to troubleshoot this..If possible can you advise me how to uninstall all the drivers and install them in the correct sequence?

Thanks and regards

Anil

No Events found!