Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 26th, 2012 01:00

ISSUES WITH DELL OPTIPLEX 380

PLEASE CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHY ALL MY  DELL OPTIPLEX 380 COMPUTERS GIVING AMBER LIGHT.  I CHANGED THE POWER SUPPLY.  THEY ARE ALL NEW COMPUTERS WE WAS PURCHASED LAST YEAR JUNE. CAN SOME ONE HELP ME RESOLVE THIS ISSUES. WHAT CAUSES THAT?

THANKS..

Andy.

5 Practitioner

• 

353 Posts

January 27th, 2012 02:00

Hi Andstino,

If it's okay, I'd like to ask you some questions regarding this as I want to make sure that we get to the bottom of the problem for you. Some of the questions will ask you to remove components from the system so please make sure that you remove the power cord from the back of the system before attempting these.

1) Switch the system on. Can you tell me if the power button is flashing amber or a solid amber? Please also tell me if you notice any diagnostics LEDs staying lit - these are labelled 1,2,3 and 4 and are near the front headphone sockets

2) Please remove all peripherals at the back of the system and switch the system on. Does this affect the power button LED or diagnostic LEDs

3) Have you added any components to the system e.g. video cards, sound cards etc...

4) Please open the system and remove the following components:

a) Power and data cables from hard drives and optical drives
b) Any PCI/PCI-Express expansion cards
c) All memory from the system
d) The system fan

5) With the above removed, please reconnect the power cord to the back of the system and switch the system on. Please make a note of what happens with the power button LED and the diagnostic LEDs

6) If there are no changes to the power button LED or diagnostic LEDs, please remove the power cord from the back of the system and remove the following components:

a) I/O panel cable
b) CMOS battery

7) With the I/O panel cable and CMOS battery removed, please connect the power cord to the back of the system. The system should automatically try to switch on. Do you hear any beeps from the system? If so, can you tell us exactly what you hear?

If you need any assistance with removing these components, please see the User Manual here: http://support.euro.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/op380/en/index.htm
Please keep us updated on how you get on!

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

January 26th, 2012 05:00

Did replacing your power supply help?  If not, does the system power up ok?  Boot Windows ok?  If it doesn't power on or boot Windows, do the ABCD/1234 lights indicate an error where it stops (amber/green)?  Try removing parts, starting with the hard drive.

P.S.  Your CAPS LOCK is on.

3 Posts

January 26th, 2012 23:00

Nothing shows on the screen. The light on the Board comes on but Num Lock light is not on.. The CPU fan runs very slow. ...

3 Posts

January 30th, 2012 01:00

Hello John,

Thanks for your support.  Well i read from dell website  about this issue its talks about everything that you just told me. I tried all that but it didn't work. I even replaced the Processor, power supply and the cable that connect from the board to the front panel of the system unit  and also i disconnected all the power on the system reconnected them again. At a point in time it was coming and went off again. And also i want to know what causes Amber  light in computer...

5 Practitioner

• 

353 Posts

January 31st, 2012 04:00

Hi Andstino,

The amber light on the front of your Optiplex 380 can mean one of two things. It either indicates that there is a problem distributing power throughout all components or that there is an issue processing data necessary for the POST process to start.

Both of these issues use the same steps to resolve as they are both problems initialising the POST process. From the information you have given, we can likely rule out the processor, power supply and I/O panel cable as causing these issues. I would tentatively say that this is likely to be a motherboard fault, however there is also the potential for a memory problem or PCI/PCI-Express card causing these issues.

I appreciate everything you have done so far to try and resolve the problem but what we need is more information. The steps above are primarily designed to identify the cause of the problem so if you could try the steps in order from 1 to 7 again, writing what happens after each step, this will give us enough to completely identify the problem component.

Thanks in advance and we hope to hear from you soon.

1 Message

November 27th, 2012 02:00

Hi,

Am did exactry as u wrote on number 7 explanation but when I connect the power cord I didnt hear any beep from systerm! so what can i do please?

1 Message

December 14th, 2012 21:00

Your problem is the ram. For some reason, the ram modules on these systems go bad out of the blue. I had two go out at the same time. Buy a 4 gig stick or ram for each and you will be fine.

3 Posts

January 13th, 2013 16:00

Hi john

I have the same problems with my dell OptiPlex 380MT steady amber light what do u think is the problem

5 Posts

March 18th, 2013 14:00

I have something simple to check: I recently had to replace the CPU fan in an Optiplex 380. I didn't have any thermal compound for a couple weeks. When I put it all back together and tried to start it only gave me a steady amber power light and just say there running. No diagnostic lights lit up or anything. Know what I forgot? The separate 4-pin mobo power connector. Make sure you've got that plugged in.:emotion-7:

1 Message

September 27th, 2013 13:00

Try checking the USB port, this happened to my computer. the USB port pins broke off inside the port and shorted the connection. Disconnect power and all USB connections, make sure the pins inside the port is not contacting the side or each other. THIS SHOULD WORK!!

1 Message

January 9th, 2014 07:00

I have the same issue with my Optiplex 380, did step 1 through 7 and did not hear a beep or anything, and nothing happened after step 7. So, what is my problem then?

Paul

20 Posts

February 10th, 2014 14:00

Did you die or did you abandon this Thread? I'm having the same issue with an Optiplex 380 but no one seems to have the RIGHT answer. And the suggestion by TETHADAM1 was maliciously dis-informative since it's obvious that the RAM is not the issue. Can't we revive this unsolved issue?

20 Posts

Sir/Madam:

Your input was clearly misinformation, either by accident or on purpose. Like many others, I followed DELL-John C's step by step and step #4 included removing the RAM. Like in Andstino case, it didn't work for me. Of course, this is an old thread but it was revived just recently and I'm also going through this hassle. Again, based on what I just typed, your input was clearly misinformation (accidental or not). 

20 Posts

Same here and no beep. Have you found any solution elsewhere? Seems this thread was abandoned by the "experts" who suggested the problem was a BAD RAM. HA!! 

5 Practitioner

• 

353 Posts

February 11th, 2014 07:00

Hi iotriton65,

If you have followed the steps from 1 to 7 and are not receiving any beep codes from the system then it would appear that you either have a problem with the motherboard, the processor or the power supply. Before you first started removing components, do you remember what the status of the power button LED and diagnostic LEDs? This can give an further indication of what is occurring with your system.

No Events found!