Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 2nd, 2015 13:00

Identical dual monitors not displaying the same

I have a customer who started up his Dell 9010 desktop PC today and noticed that the resolution on both monitors was not the same and that #1 and #2 were swapped. #1 is the primary to the left and #2 is the secondary located to the right.

I checked display properties and found them swapped around. I swapped them back so they are now in the correct order in display properties but the resolution on #1 is not the same as #2 though the (Samsung S24D300) monitors are identical. Monitor type shown in display properties for #1 was incorrect as Generic PnP Monitor.

I reinstalled the driver for the monitors to have them match in display properties. This did not change the resolution of #1 even though they both now showed as S24D300. Then I uninstalled all monitor and video card drivers, rebooted, reinstalled the video card (ATI HD 7570) and monitor drivers. Tried selecting various monitor types within the driver. #2 always comes out with proper resolution but #1 will not change and is less than #2. Now it shows as "Display device on Mobile PC Display" in display properties even though this is a desktop PC. I'm unable to change this no matter what driver or driver setting is used.

The video card driver I got from Dell and it's the latest they offer. The monitor driver I got from Samsung.

I'm stumped at this point as to how to change #1 monitor so it is the same type and resolution as #2 in display properties which has always been correct. I've looked up about the display type of "Display device on Mobile PC Display" but have not found any fix to change it to what it should be, the actual monitor type.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

March 3rd, 2015 12:00

Have the customer go here and use the "Automatically Detect and Install Your Driver" application.

March 4th, 2015 09:00

Chris,

That was one of the first things I tried and it would not work even after repeated tries. Then I started uninstalling and reinstalling drivers manually.

I've used that automatic system before successfully but it would not work in this case.

The system is still under warranty so I'm going to call support and open a case.

Jonathan

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

March 4th, 2015 10:00

Support could send out a replacement video card. Perhaps the one in there is faulty. But if the replacement video card has the same issue, the fault must lie with drivers or the operating system.

No Events found!