Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 17th, 2008 06:00

Identify MOBO A10385-406

Help,

I'm trying to identify a motherboard that I have. It was taken out of the case a long time ago and the case was discarded (as all Dell cases don't leave enough room to expand excessively, a cheap $20 non-proprietary case always fixes that!!).

The AA number (as suggested by Intel to use as an identifyer) is as follows;

AA A10385-406

I need to find a manual for this motherboard to know what types of CPU it will take, the maximum amount of RAM and what type, all the jumpers, and the BIOS navigation (pretty much what anyone would want to know about any motherboard). I can't wait to get this board up and running again!! It's going to be a nice little file server when I get it running!!

Thanks to all for your help!

20 Posts

November 18th, 2008 13:00

HA!

Someone else out there in bits and bytes land wanted to know the exact same thing as I did. For any of you looking for this type of information, take a look at this link;

http://www.sysopt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=191415

Some intelligent people out there willing to help others out to run their systems however they feel fit. Not just demand they run it the way it was built.

:emotion-4:

20 Posts

This is the only number I can find so far is this one;

DS/NMY-031REP-12464-0CF-00P8:C/OMY

If this isn't the one then I'll have to take a look at it when I get home. Someone gave me this number over the phone.

1.6K Posts

Post the Dell part number (on the board near the memory sockets;  starts with D/PN ..) and someone can help you.

141 Posts

November 18th, 2008 06:00

We do not have that kind of pin out documentation to post since we designed them to be proprietary to our cases. The jumper #11 can be seen here.

20 Posts

November 18th, 2008 06:00

Well, I figured it out. It's from a Dell Dimension 4100. Hopefully this information will help someone else out in the future. BTW, there was no PN anywhere on the MOBO.

Now, does anyone know where I can find what the jumpers are? They don't seem to be available in the documentation online (pretty weird). I'd like to know which pins to hook up the power, reset buttons as well as the IDE HDD activity and power LED's. It would also be nice to hook up the case speaker. I need the control panel connector layout (J8C3).

This is basic Motherboard information, that every other motherboard supplier I've ever dealt with provides in their user manual.....weird how Dell overlooked this in theirs.

20 Posts

November 18th, 2008 08:00

Chris,

What I need is the layout of jumper #10 from the link you sent (Control panel connector J8C3).

Dell cases are of little use to me when they do not have enough space for standard connections of HDD's, CD/DVD drives, or a plethora of other necessary accessories. My use for this motherboard is to have a little NAS on my home network.

For anyone else out there that has an older PC, check out this link for a DIY on how to convert that box to a NAS server. It's so easy to do. I have 2 already and am trying to put together my 3rd, once I get this all sorted out. BTW, my case will need room for 8 HDD's.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=27840&Itemid=77 - DIY NAS server

It just seems very unprofessional that Dell would have such a problem with supplying this information. Especially since I have mentioned that any reputable (as well as many unreputable) motherboard manufacturer supplies this information without hesitation. This information has to be known to someone, otherwise they wouldn't have been able to design the case at all; proprietary or not.

This is an OLD out-of-production motherboard too, so that can't be the problem....Dell won't be loosing money over supplying this information.

I don't get it. What's the big secret?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 18th, 2008 19:00

tstorzuk

The Dimension 4100 motherboard require a Dell proprietary power supply, if a standard ATX power supply is used, then THIS motherboard power connector is needed, to convert it to the standard 20-pin connector.

Bev.

1 Message

November 18th, 2008 20:00

Bev,

I had kept the power supply from the unit, but I did want to get one that supplied more volts. Thank you for the web link for the power adapter.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 18th, 2008 20:00

You are welcome.    :emotion-2:

Bev.

Ps. It's wattage, not volts.

No Events found!