JohnMoog
2 Bronze

Incredible Shrinking Hard Drive?

I’ve had a Dell Dimension E521, running Vista Home Premium, for 1 ½ years. It was ordered with 160 GB hard drive. I never paid attention to this before, but I just noticed that in Computer>, it says C: has 98GB free of 138, and 😧 (recovery) has 6 free of 10. Further, going to the folders within C; I can’t even account for 40GB used. I have 5GB in Users, 3 in Program Files, 13 in Windows and only a few hundred MB elsewhere in C: as best I can tell, which means I’ve used 22GB of 138, which should leave me 116 not 98. I’m also not sure why the whole C drive is 138 not the 160 it was supposed to be. Also, what do need 😧 for? I just ran CCleaner, disk cleanup and disk defragmenter with no change in the above. Can anyone help me make sense of this? Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
eskymi
4 Germanium

Re: Incredible Shrinking Hard Drive?

I can help!  My guess is it's the restore points.

When you open DISK CLEANUP click on MORE OPTIONS.  Then click and delete restore points.  It will delete all but the most current restore points and you will suddenly see your 98gig free jump to about 112 or 113 or so.

The reason the 160 shows 138 is 10 is partitioned for the recovery, that is the 6 of 10.  So that's 148 in reality.  Then it's based on 1000bits or 1024bits or something along those lines.  SO it's correct, but it depends on if it's the driver maker or Dell determining how big it is.

😧 is for the recovery.  In case you have a crash you can just use F8 and restore VISTA to the day you bought it without need of reinstalling off disks.

2  XPS 420's, Quad 2.4ghz, 8800GT and 9800GTX, 3gigs RAM (Vista Home)

2 Inspiron 1720's, 2.0 and 2.5 gig processors, 2 and 4 gigs RAM, 8400GM and 8600GT cards (Vista Home and Ultimate)

1 E1705, 2.0 processor, 2 gigs RAM 7900GS. (Vista Home)

2 Mini 9's, Black and Cherry Red......(Windows XP) Love The Mini!!!!!

shesagordie
9 Rhodium

JohnMoog

A 160gb hard drive will only show 149.01gb in windows, because you have the binary and decimal capacity factor that applies to all HARD DRIVES.

Vista's system restore can use up to 15% of the hard drive's storage.

You can decrease the storage space on the hard drive, allocated to system restore.

See HERE.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

JohnMoog
2 Bronze

When you open DISK CLEANUP click on MORE OPTIONS.  Then click and delete restore points.  It will delete all but the most current restore points and you will suddenly see your 98gig free jump to about 112 or 113 or so.

It’s a little different in Vista, if I understand.  Under disk cleanup for files for all users there’s a dropdown for recovery 😧 and a then a more options tab.  That has a section for system restore and shadow copies, with a clean up icon.  When I click on that icon I get a popup to make sure I want to delete all but the most recent restore point.  I click on delete, but it doesn’t seem to spend any time deleting anything, and it hasn’t changed the free space in either C: or D:, even after restart.  Any further suggestions?  

eskymi
4 Germanium

You seem to have done it correctly.  When it first opens did you select clean up files from all users...that's what I use.  Then when I see the drop down menu I leave it on C:  Then click more options when the disk clean up appears.  Then I select System restore shadow copies clean up and it runs for a minute or two and cleans up the restore points.   I have seen my laptops free up 21 gigs or so just by deleting restore points.

2  XPS 420's, Quad 2.4ghz, 8800GT and 9800GTX, 3gigs RAM (Vista Home)

2 Inspiron 1720's, 2.0 and 2.5 gig processors, 2 and 4 gigs RAM, 8400GM and 8600GT cards (Vista Home and Ultimate)

1 E1705, 2.0 processor, 2 gigs RAM 7900GS. (Vista Home)

2 Mini 9's, Black and Cherry Red......(Windows XP) Love The Mini!!!!!

0 Kudos