Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 21st, 2015 19:00

Info on the New Inspiron Desktop Gamer Edition (Intel)

If anybody has or eventually gets the New Inspiron 3650 (preferably the intel model, but AMD model info useful too) could you please post some info on it, specs etc.... seems to be little or none yet and I'm considering getting it to turn into a htpc.

What type of PSU, How many watts?

How much room for the GPU? Full Height or low profile?

How many fans? just the back fan?

Is there any possibility of a 2 HDD setup if you remove the disc drive?

Also the ram listed on the official site is DDR3L 1600MHz... shouldn't it be DDR4 2133MHz?

Any info on any of these questions would be greatly appreciated by me :)

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 22nd, 2015 14:00

If anybody has or eventually gets the New Inspiron 3650 (preferably the intel model, but AMD model info useful too) could you please post some info on it, specs etc.... seems to be little or none yet and I'm considering getting it to turn into a htpc.

What type of PSU, How many watts?

How much room for the GPU? Full Height or low profile?

How many fans? just the back fan?

Is there any possibility of a 2 HDD setup if you remove the disc drive?

Also the ram listed on the official site is DDR3L 1600MHz... shouldn't it be DDR4 2133MHz?

Any info on any of these questions would be greatly appreciated by me :)

max faded

Inspiron 3650 [Intel] Service Manual,     

http://downloads.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_inspiron_desktop/inspiron-3650-desktop_Service%20Manual_en-us.pdf

Inspiron 3650 Specifications,

http://downloads.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_inspiron_desktop/inspiron-3650-desktop_Reference%20Guide_en-us.pdf

Note: Dell has not published the wattage of the Inspiron 3650 power supply.

Inspiron-3656 [AMD] Service Manual,

http://downloads.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_inspiron_desktop/inspiron-3656-desktop_Service%20Manual_en-us.pdf

Inspiron 3656 Specifications,    

http://downloads.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_inspiron_desktop/inspiron-3656-desktop_Reference%20Guide_en-us.pdf

Note: Dell has not published the wattage of the Inspiron 3656 power supply, plus this model has a BGA motherboard, that does not allow you to upgrade the processor, without replacing the motherboard.

Bev.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

October 23rd, 2015 09:00

1. Its not a Gamer system.

2. This is a new Dell with Proprietary Power supply. That looks MUCH SMALLER than TFX.

3. That being the case its not upgradeable.  The rear view is bad news.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

September 1st, 2016 07:00

The 400W TFX is too Big for that case and Too little power to be useful for ANY card.

The supply is SMALLER than TFX.  

Only Short cards fit. 8.5 inches max.

The EVGA Super Nova 500W is minimum I would recommend.

Better unit would be EVGA 700B1   Any power supply REQUIRES the MODDIY adapter. The EPS12v CPU connection is still 4 pin but the 24 pin needs to be converted to 8 pin.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438066

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

September 1st, 2016 18:00

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

October 22nd, 2015 12:00

Edit: ok I found it. Still not a gamer system.

NVIDIA® GeForce® 730 2GB GDDR3

6th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-6400 Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.30 GHz)

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/inspiron-3650-desktop/pd

If you want a gamer system you should be getting an XPS or Alienware model.  If its like the 3020 7020 9020 which I think it is the power supply is non standard.

The 3647 is not a gamer its a very cheap non upgradeable system.

• Intel Core i3-4130 Processor 3.4 GHz
  • 4GB DDR3 RAM, 1600 MHz
  • 1TB 7,200RPM Hard Drive
  • Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Dell Inspiron Desktop (i3647-2308BK)

41 Posts

October 22nd, 2015 13:00

Only answers about the new Inspiron 3650 please (or the similar AMD model) - I understand it's a new release but I'm hoping someone who buys it will share the info eventually.

I'm aware of Alienware and own a very capable XPS 8700, but I'd still like to know the specifics of this particular model, as the 3847 is slightly too big to fit where I want to put it, and my Inspiron 580s has reached its maximum capability.

41 Posts

October 22nd, 2015 17:00

@Bev - Wow awesome, thanks... the diagrams in those links are a HUGE help, From them I can tell it does indeed have a full height GPU and as long as someone gets a compact video card it should have plenty of room.

It says how to replace the PSU, but no info ... TFX?

Motherboard has only 2 fan inputs, CPU and Rear Chassis

1x 3.5inch HDD and 1x 2.5inch HDD bays, but still not sure what possibility of adding another HDDin the space under the 3.5inch HDD, my guess is no, but just a guess.

The intel i5-6400 is a very capable cpu, and the main reason for me to consider getting this version

www.dell.com/.../pd;model_id=inspiron-3650-desktop

Why they call it a gamer edition I'll never know, but with a few upgrades here and there It can be used for moderate gaming.

And finally, I thought all Skylake processors needed DDR4 ram, not sure why they list it as DDR3L 1600MHz ... but theres 2 Slots for up to 16gb ram.

I think I am indeed going to buy it, with my only worry being the psu upgrade, hopefully i can find a good one in that form factor.

Thank you for your help, once again... several years later.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 22nd, 2015 19:00

max faded

You are welcome.

The PSU looks like a TFX unit, but don't quote me on that, but I'm disappointed Dell forgot to include the power supply wattage, makes hard to upgrade the graphics card.

Bev.

41 Posts

October 23rd, 2015 10:00

@ Speedstep Wow you're right it's much smaller than a TFX... I've tried a quick look at different types hoping to match up a possible look-a-like but wasn't able to. If you or anyone else gets any further details on what it is, please post. I may have to hold out for any possible new models, or get the 3847 which is 2 inches too deep for the spot i want to put it in, and as of this moment not available with Skylake processors.

Oh and for the record, I know it's not a "gamer system" - It's Dell that's labeled it that in the home section version... I just put that in the title for reference to how it was listed... But "if" (and its looking like a weak "if")  the power supply is either semi decent to start, or can be upgraded then it can be used for mid range games, the kinds that I currently play on my 580s, which technically wasn't very suitable for games until i upgraded the psu and added gtx 750 ti.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

October 23rd, 2015 11:00

The 3847 can use a standard power supply.  I chose Corsair CS750M and Added a GTX 570 Card and a CORE I7 4790K and it does all games at high or ultra settings.  There are also Short versions of the GTX960 that fit into it.  I chose the GTX570 because it was less than $100 and is windows 10 compatible.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139061

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130687

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117369

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=02G-P4-2962-KR

41 Posts

October 23rd, 2015 12:00

While I'm having trouble making up my mind which route to go as far as my next htpc setup, I do know that the EVGA GTX960 4GB compact is the GPU that will go in it. It's unfortunate Dell wasn't able to get a ATX psu in the new design, I think other than that its a pretty neat set up. Guess I'll have to wait for further info on the psu it does have, whether or not the 3847 will get rebranded with the 6th gen cpu's (like the 8700 --> 8900) ... or just go ahead and go with the i5-4460, which isn't a bad option either.

Edit:

I also find the choice of GPU to be odd, if its not meant to be replaced like most of them end up being. According to GPU benchmarks, Intel Skylake's HD 530 integrated graphics are quite a bit better than the dedicated GT 730.

8 Posts

January 2nd, 2016 19:00

Hey guys, stumbled upon this forum while researching how to upgrade the PSU of a recently purchased Inspiron 3650. I am looking to do some simple upgrades (Video Card and Firewire Connectors) and as a result need to upgrade the PSU. The 8pin main connectors that Dell has on this device makes it very difficult to find a compliant 500w+ PSU. The "stock" PSU for the Inspiron 3650 states "Total Power 240w MAX." The unit is build by ACBEL Electronic (WUHAN) CO., LTD. Dell Model: AC240NM-00. The unit dimensions are: 8 3/4'' x 3 1/4'' x 2 1/2''

I think that the only way that you will be able to upgrade the PSU is by using this 24pin > 8pin adapter which was suggested, by SpeedStep in a different thread! I just ordered it and will let you know whether this works. One other thing that I have been struggling with is the fact that there are now extra power connectors off of the PSU. My Firewire requires a standard 4pin Molex which is not available. There are not even any options to convert a SATA to Molex given the lack of connectors. 

Anyway, I wanted to at least share this info about the PSU since it seemed relevant to this thread. 

-mike

16 Posts

January 13th, 2016 06:00

Hey guys, stumbled upon this forum while researching how to upgrade the PSU of a recently purchased Inspiron 3650. I am looking to do some simple upgrades (Video Card and Firewire Connectors) and as a result need to upgrade the PSU. The 8pin main connectors that Dell has on this device makes it very difficult to find a compliant 500w+ PSU. The "stock" PSU for the Inspiron 3650 states "Total Power 240w MAX." The unit is build by ACBEL Electronic (WUHAN) CO., LTD. Dell Model: AC240NM-00. The unit dimensions are: 8 3/4'' x 3 1/4'' x 2 1/2''

I think that the only way that you will be able to upgrade the PSU is by using this 24pin > 8pin adapter which was suggested, by SpeedStep in a different thread! I just ordered it and will let you know whether this works. One other thing that I have been struggling with is the fact that there are now extra power connectors off of the PSU. My Firewire requires a standard 4pin Molex which is not available. There are not even any options to convert a SATA to Molex given the lack of connectors. 

Anyway, I wanted to at least share this info about the PSU since it seemed relevant to this thread. 

-mike

Could you tell us how it went, I have an Inspiron 3650 myself and was thinking about upgrading the psu but wasn't sure if it would be okay to do that.

8 Posts

January 13th, 2016 18:00

100% confirmed, this 24pin > 8pin adapter will work on an Inspiron 3650 computer. I would imagine that it would work in any situation where an 8 pin main is used on the mobo. That said, the difficulty for me lies in the fact that there are no 500w tfx psus that would work with a slim line case. I am currently running a 500w EVGA PSU outside of the case. Not pleasing to the eyes, but gets the job done. Next stop, GPU upgrade!

Good luck everybody!

-mike

16 Posts

January 13th, 2016 19:00

Alright, thanks for the info! Also could you tell me if anything goes wrong? I plan on upgrading the psu myself

No Events found!