Highlighted
2 Iron

Info on the New Inspiron Desktop Gamer Edition (Intel)

Jump to solution

If anybody has or eventually gets the New Inspiron 3650 (preferably the intel model, but AMD model info useful too) could you please post some info on it, specs etc.... seems to be little or none yet and I'm considering getting it to turn into a htpc.

What type of PSU, How many watts?

How much room for the GPU? Full Height or low profile?

How many fans? just the back fan?

Is there any possibility of a 2 HDD setup if you remove the disc drive?

Also the ram listed on the official site is DDR3L 1600MHz... shouldn't it be DDR4 2133MHz?

Any info on any of these questions would be greatly appreciated by me ๐Ÿ™‚

0 Kudos
4 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
9 Rhodium

RE: Info on the New Inspiron Desktop Gamer Edition (Intel)

Jump to solution

If anybody has or eventually gets the New Inspiron 3650 (preferably the intel model, but AMD model info useful too) could you please post some info on it, specs etc.... seems to be little or none yet and I'm considering getting it to turn into a htpc.

Also the ram listed on the official site is DDR3L 1600MHz... shouldn't it be DDR4 2133MHz?

max faded

Inspiron 3650 [Intel] Service Manual,     

http://downloads.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_inspiron_desktop/inspiron-3650-...

Inspiron 3650 Specifications,

http://downloads.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_inspiron_desktop/inspiron-3650-...

Note: Dell has not published the wattage of the Inspiron 3650 power supply.

Inspiron-3656 [AMD] Service Manual,

http://downloads.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_inspiron_desktop/inspiron-3656-...

Inspiron 3656 Specifications,    

http://downloads.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_inspiron_desktop/inspiron-3656-...

Note: Dell has not published the wattage of the Inspiron 3656 power supply, plus this model has a BGA motherboard, that does not allow you to upgrade the processor, without replacing the motherboard.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Xenon

Jump to solution

1. Its not a Gamer system.

2. This is a new Dell with Proprietary Power supply. That looks MUCH SMALLER than TFX.

3. That being the case its not upgradeable.  The rear view is bad news.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Xenon

Jump to solution

The 400W TFX is too Big for that case and Too little power to be useful for ANY card.

The supply is SMALLER than TFX.  

Only Short cards fit. 8.5 inches max.

The EVGA Super Nova 500W is minimum I would recommend.

Better unit would be EVGA 700B1   Any power supply REQUIRES the MODDIY adapter. The EPS12v CPU connection is still 4 pin but the 24 pin needs to be converted to 8 pin.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438066

here

Highlighted
8 Xenon

Jump to solution

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA85V4RA6287

here

42 Replies
Highlighted
8 Xenon

Jump to solution

Edit: ok I found it. Still not a gamer system.

NVIDIAยฎ GeForceยฎ 730 2GB GDDR3

6th Generation Intelยฎ Coreโ„ข i5-6400 Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.30 GHz)

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/inspiron-3650-desktop/pd

If you want a gamer system you should be getting an XPS or Alienware model.  If its like the 3020 7020 9020 which I think it is the power supply is non standard.

The 3647 is not a gamer its a very cheap non upgradeable system.

• Intel Core i3-4130 Processor 3.4 GHz
  • 4GB DDR3 RAM, 1600 MHz
  • 1TB 7,200RPM Hard Drive
  • Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Dell Inspiron Desktop (i3647-2308BK)

here

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Only answers about the new Inspiron 3650 please (or the similar AMD model) - I understand it's a new release but I'm hoping someone who buys it will share the info eventually.

I'm aware of Alienware and own a very capable XPS 8700, but I'd still like to know the specifics of this particular model, as the 3847 is slightly too big to fit where I want to put it, and my Inspiron 580s has reached its maximum capability.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
9 Rhodium

Jump to solution

max faded

Inspiron 3650 [Intel] Service Manual,     

Inspiron 3650 Specifications,

Note: Dell has not published the wattage of the Inspiron 3650 power supply.

Inspiron-3656 [AMD] Service Manual,

Inspiron 3656 Specifications,    

Note: Dell has not published the wattage of the Inspiron 3656 power supply, plus this model has a BGA motherboard, that does not allow you to upgrade the processor, without replacing the motherboard.

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Iron

Jump to solution

@Bev - Wow awesome, thanks... the diagrams in those links are a HUGE help, From them I can tell it does indeed have a full height GPU and as long as someone gets a compact video card it should have plenty of room.

It says how to replace the PSU, but no info ... TFX?

Motherboard has only 2 fan inputs, CPU and Rear Chassis

1x 3.5inch HDD and 1x 2.5inch HDD bays, but still not sure what possibility of adding another HDDin the space under the 3.5inch HDD, my guess is no, but just a guess.

The intel i5-6400 is a very capable cpu, and the main reason for me to consider getting this version

www.dell.com/.../pd;model_id=inspiron-3650-desktop

Why they call it a gamer edition I'll never know, but with a few upgrades here and there It can be used for moderate gaming.

And finally, I thought all Skylake processors needed DDR4 ram, not sure why they list it as DDR3L 1600MHz ... but theres 2 Slots for up to 16gb ram.

I think I am indeed going to buy it, with my only worry being the psu upgrade, hopefully i can find a good one in that form factor.

Thank you for your help, once again... several years later.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
9 Rhodium

Jump to solution

max faded

You are welcome.

The PSU looks like a TFX unit, but don't quote me on that, but I'm disappointed Dell forgot to include the power supply wattage, makes hard to upgrade the graphics card.

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Xenon

Jump to solution

1. Its not a Gamer system.

2. This is a new Dell with Proprietary Power supply. That looks MUCH SMALLER than TFX.

3. That being the case its not upgradeable.  The rear view is bad news.

here

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Iron

Jump to solution

@ Speedstep Wow you're right it's much smaller than a TFX... I've tried a quick look at different types hoping to match up a possible look-a-like but wasn't able to. If you or anyone else gets any further details on what it is, please post. I may have to hold out for any possible new models, or get the 3847 which is 2 inches too deep for the spot i want to put it in, and as of this moment not available with Skylake processors.

Oh and for the record, I know it's not a "gamer system" - It's Dell that's labeled it that in the home section version... I just put that in the title for reference to how it was listed... But "if" (and its looking like a weak "if")  the power supply is either semi decent to start, or can be upgraded then it can be used for mid range games, the kinds that I currently play on my 580s, which technically wasn't very suitable for games until i upgraded the psu and added gtx 750 ti.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Xenon

Jump to solution

The 3847 can use a standard power supply.  I chose Corsair CS750M and Added a GTX 570 Card and a CORE I7 4790K and it does all games at high or ultra settings.  There are also Short versions of the GTX960 that fit into it.  I chose the GTX570 because it was less than $100 and is windows 10 compatible.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139061

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130687

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117369

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=02G-P4-2962-KR

here

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Iron

Jump to solution

While I'm having trouble making up my mind which route to go as far as my next htpc setup, I do know that the EVGA GTX960 4GB compact is the GPU that will go in it. It's unfortunate Dell wasn't able to get a ATX psu in the new design, I think other than that its a pretty neat set up. Guess I'll have to wait for further info on the psu it does have, whether or not the 3847 will get rebranded with the 6th gen cpu's (like the 8700 --> 8900) ... or just go ahead and go with the i5-4460, which isn't a bad option either.

Edit:

I also find the choice of GPU to be odd, if its not meant to be replaced like most of them end up being. According to GPU benchmarks, Intel Skylake's HD 530 integrated graphics are quite a bit better than the dedicated GT 730.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Hey guys, stumbled upon this forum while researching how to upgrade the PSU of a recently purchased Inspiron 3650. I am looking to do some simple upgrades (Video Card and Firewire Connectors) and as a result need to upgrade the PSU. The 8pin main connectors that Dell has on this device makes it very difficult to find a compliant 500w+ PSU. The "stock" PSU for the Inspiron 3650 states "Total Power 240w MAX." The unit is build by ACBEL Electronic (WUHAN) CO., LTD. Dell Model: AC240NM-00. The unit dimensions are: 8 3/4'' x 3 1/4'' x 2 1/2''

I think that the only way that you will be able to upgrade the PSU is by using this 24pin > 8pin adapter which was suggested, by SpeedStep in a different thread! I just ordered it and will let you know whether this works. One other thing that I have been struggling with is the fact that there are now extra power connectors off of the PSU. My Firewire requires a standard 4pin Molex which is not available. There are not even any options to convert a SATA to Molex given the lack of connectors. 

Anyway, I wanted to at least share this info about the PSU since it seemed relevant to this thread. 

-mike

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Hey guys, stumbled upon this forum while researching how to upgrade the PSU of a recently purchased Inspiron 3650. I am looking to do some simple upgrades (Video Card and Firewire Connectors) and as a result need to upgrade the PSU. The 8pin main connectors that Dell has on this device makes it very difficult to find a compliant 500w+ PSU. The "stock" PSU for the Inspiron 3650 states "Total Power 240w MAX." The unit is build by ACBEL Electronic (WUHAN) CO., LTD. Dell Model: AC240NM-00. The unit dimensions are: 8 3/4'' x 3 1/4'' x 2 1/2''

I think that the only way that you will be able to upgrade the PSU is by using this 24pin > 8pin adapter which was suggested, by SpeedStep in a different thread! I just ordered it and will let you know whether this works. One other thing that I have been struggling with is the fact that there are now extra power connectors off of the PSU. My Firewire requires a standard 4pin Molex which is not available. There are not even any options to convert a SATA to Molex given the lack of connectors. 

Anyway, I wanted to at least share this info about the PSU since it seemed relevant to this thread. 

-mike

Could you tell us how it went, I have an Inspiron 3650 myself and was thinking about upgrading the psu but wasn't sure if it would be okay to do that.

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

100% confirmed, this 24pin > 8pin adapter will work on an Inspiron 3650 computer. I would imagine that it would work in any situation where an 8 pin main is used on the mobo. That said, the difficulty for me lies in the fact that there are no 500w tfx psus that would work with a slim line case. I am currently running a 500w EVGA PSU outside of the case. Not pleasing to the eyes, but gets the job done. Next stop, GPU upgrade!

Good luck everybody!

-mike

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Alright, thanks for the info! Also could you tell me if anything goes wrong? I plan on upgrading the psu myself

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Yes, fingers-crossed nothing does, but I will of course post here. I am definitely not a techy and was able to do this really easily.

best of luck!

-mike

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I was talking to dell customer support and was asking about upgrading the psu and this is what they said

"We do not recommend upgrading power supply because it cause the motherboard capacitor to swell/bulged. Capacitor is set on specific heat profile and if swell/bulged or leak,l it will shorten your desktop life. If the desktop is supposed to last for 5 years, because of swelling capacitor it will only have 3 years max."

I'm not sure if its true though

0 Kudos
Highlighted
9 Rhodium

Jump to solution

I was talking to dell customer support and was asking about upgrading the psu and this is what they said

"We do not recommend upgrading power supply because it cause the motherboard capacitor to swell/bulged. Capacitor is set on specific heat profile and if swell/bulged or leak,l it will shorten your desktop life. If the desktop is supposed to last for 5 years, because of swelling capacitor it will only have 3 years max."

I'm not sure if its true though

Rangemeladue

Sorry to say, what Dell Customer Support said, is not true.

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

So does that mean that upgrading should be ( for the most part ) fine?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Xenon

Jump to solution

It means it is NOT upgradeable EVER. Its hard to tell from the pictures but the 3650 is only 14 inches tall.

I have a 3847 Tower with Core I7 4790K and Geforce 960 with a Corsair CS750M Power supply. 

That system cannot take ANY of the above listed components.

The tiny proprietary power supply cannot be upgraded.

here

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

But Quazare said that he upgraded his power supply.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
9 Rhodium

Jump to solution

So does that mean that upgrading should be ( for the most part ) fine?

Rangemeladue

That is not what I said, what is the Dell computer model you wish to upgrade the power supply?

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Xenon

Jump to solution

He had to get an adapter AND its sitting OUTSIDE the case.

here

Highlighted
9 Rhodium

Jump to solution

But Quazare said that he upgraded his power supply.

Rangemeladue

Quazare upgraded the power supply, by installing the replacement Inspiron 3650 power supply, not internally, but by installing the power supply outside the case and running wiring though the case to all the connections inside the case, this not very satisfactory solution to use for a PSU upgrade.

Quote:  "I am currently running a 500w EVGA PSU outside of the case. Not pleasing to the eyes, but gets the job done. Next stop, GPU upgrade!"

For more information go Here:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/p/19657974/20865406#20865406

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Yeah, no way can you fit a standard psu in this case, maybe a tfx, but I imagine even that would be tight. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Oh okay.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Hey guys, very happy to report that I was able to install an ASUS GTX 960 4gb video card with 100% success. Games are playing at much higher rates and I am very pleased.

-mike

0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Xenon

Jump to solution

Would be interesting to SEE a picture of how this is done.

Especially of the card inside the case and the power supply outside.

here

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Here you go:

Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Hi, I was wondering how your upgrade has been since your recent upgrade. I recently upgraded my 3650 today and noticed I had a hard time closing the case because the PCI-E cable was blocking it. Did you have the same issue when completing the upgrade? The card and all are running just fine for me.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution
Yeah, everything is working fine for me. I really didn't have a problem closing the case, but it was certainly snug. Best of luck, Mike
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi, I'm wondering if you ever found out the answer to you HDD question. I'm thinking of purchasing the AMD Inspiron 3656, but I would like to fit in at least two 3.5" HDD and an optical drive. Even though the motherboard has only two interface connections for HDD and an optical drive, I was planning to add an add-in card for the extra HDD. If you purchased the system, are you stratified with it. Thank you in advance for your help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Would it be possible to unscrew everything and then transfers the whole set up in a bigger computer case supporting a standard size PSU ?

By the way someone know what is the motherboard name/model ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

No, the reason is because the mother board is a weird shape (AKA proprietary). You could get a new motherboard, but I don't know if they soldered the cpu to it.

Another plan you could do is make a case of your own. That way could make it as big or small as you could make it and the board's shape won't be too much of a problem. Just look up homemade computer case and you should be good.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Yeah, I just bought this computer and am a little upset that they would make the PSU so weak and at the same time so difficult to upgrade. Are there really no companies that make PSU that size?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
9 Rhodium

Jump to solution

Yeah, I just bought this computer and am a little upset that they would make the PSU so weak and at the same time so difficult to upgrade. Are there really no companies that make PSU that size?

DmFelt

Sorry to say, there are not, as the power supply is a Dell proprietary unit, as is the motherboard.

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Xenon

Jump to solution

It is possible to hack it working by removing the power supply entirely and using adapter and placing power supply OUTSIDE the case.

Dual slot SHORT cards(GTX960/970) are fine but I do not think 12 inch long cards fit.

A MODDIY adapter is needed to convert 24 pin to 8 pin.

http://www.moddiy.com/products/Dell-Inspiron-3650-PSU-Main-Power-24%252dPin-to-8%252dPin-Adapter-Cab...

here

Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Hey there, I just bought one of these (before I noticed the upgrade limitations...I'm new to the Glorious PC Master Race) and I have a few questions about your setup.  

- I got the same power supply you have... do i need any additional cables other than the 24 - 8 pin adapter (which I also got)

-What gpu did you get?

Bonus

If I decided to find a from factor like the link below, does it have enough cables for the all the needed components including the new gpu

www.newegg.com/.../Product.aspx

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Xenon

Jump to solution

The 400W TFX is too Big for that case and Too little power to be useful for ANY card.

The supply is SMALLER than TFX.  

Only Short cards fit. 8.5 inches max.

The EVGA Super Nova 500W is minimum I would recommend.

Better unit would be EVGA 700B1   Any power supply REQUIRES the MODDIY adapter. The EPS12v CPU connection is still 4 pin but the 24 pin needs to be converted to 8 pin.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438066

here

Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Thanks!  I bought the 500w on sale and it's sitting next to my computer as we speak.  I'm waiting to get extra $ to get a graphics card before a change everything.   I'm still learning all this as I go.  Next time a 700 goes on sale I'll pick it up.

Hate to keep bugging you, but do you know of any cards that are 4 or 6g that meet that 8.5 or less requirement that are worth anything?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Hey Brockyman,

Glad to see your setup progressing. I put an ASUS 960 GTX 4GB card in and it fits perfectly, able to fully close the case. It is able to handle resource intensive games really well.

Hope that helps!

-mike

0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Xenon

Jump to solution

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA85V4RA6287

here

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I purchased the Intel I7 model and wanted to upgrade the PS as soon as I received it. So this is what I determined after the purchase. The heatsink on the processor is a <profane>. The power supply is not up-gradable with a standard PS inside the case and is around 240 watts max with a 8 pin molex for main power and 4 pin for PCIE to board power. Dell does not make their motherboards this machine has a Foxconn proprietary board which is useless to switch out to a better case as the front panel USB, audio and card reader ports are part of the motherboard off a L shaped extension. The board is low-line and only supports DDR3L with 16 GB max. 2 slots. Skylake processors will support DDR3L or DDR4 but the board has to have one type slot or the other. This is a DDR3L BOARD WITH A DUMMY DOWN UEFI BIOS. This means you cannot get greater than JDEC with 1T on memory as there are no memory setting and it will not even detect XMP or a higher JDEC like laptops do with faster memory. The power for SATA and the slimline optical come from a proprietary molex on the board and a custom made split-off wire connector.  You can use and adapter to run two SSDs but the PS will only support one 3.5" an factory SATA slimline optical or 2 SSDs and the optical. The other drive cage on the right will support 2 2.5" SSDs or laptop drives with the blue Dell drive sleds thta they do not provide. There are two SATA power locations on the board but you can use only one at time unless you just connect the optical on the left and use a second harness on the right for the two 2.5" drives. There is only bearly 65 mm of height space for a heatsink change and the best you can come up with is the Noctua NH-L9x65 which as a 14MM tall 92 MM fan and you will have to modify (cut a small notch to gain full clearance on the drive cage that hold the optical. Unfortunately the Noctua fan has a proprietary IC in it: the NF-A9x14 uses Noctua's novel, custom designed NE-FD1 PWM IC that integrates Smooth Commutation Drive (SCD) technology. By providing smoother torque impulses, SCD suppresses PWM switching noises and thus makes the fan quieter at lower speeds. This IC is incompatible with this Dell/Foxconn board and the Fan spins up on boot but shuts down no spinning at desktop. Their PWM connection are screwed up and do not do a proper job with temp. I disconnected the PWM wire which makes the fan run at full speed not PWM and used the supplied Noctua fan speed reducer wire which has a resistor in it to reduce fan voltage to slow fan speed. The fan went from 5000 to 3500 rpm which is silent, 5000 is not. This after replacing the I7 6700 with and I5 6600K as I am going to use the I7 for another build and sell the 3650, I found the the processor temps were good at 37 degree to 30 with the fan at 3500 rpm. This machine has 2 SSD's with a modified dual SATA power adapter cable which I shortened to the minimum and moved punch-down connectors to line up with staked SSD's in the drive cage. My machine came with a Win 10 pro restore disk but it is Not the Anniversary edition 1607 but teh original November 2015 Win 10 release. It would have been better to download from Dell the restore files for USB as it might have been closer to 1607 or maybe even includes that. The M.@ slot holds a Qualcomm/Atheros single band 2.5 N card with bluetooth 4.0. It is not a dual band AC card and this is not an Upgrade option when buying from Dell.  This means you would not be able to connect to a 5G router and and are limited to 54Mb max throughput theoretical speed. Wireless card can be changed to dual band. (not a dell card). If you have other question please post.

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Not there are only a couple of Chemical caps on this board most are Solid state caps. Still a Dell cheap out.