Highlighted

RE: Info on the New Inspiron Desktop Gamer Edition (Intel)

Jump to solution

Hi, I'm wondering if you ever found out the answer to you HDD question. I'm thinking of purchasing the AMD Inspiron 3656, but I would like to fit in at least two 3.5" HDD and an optical drive. Even though the motherboard has only two interface connections for HDD and an optical drive, I was planning to add an add-in card for the extra HDD. If you purchased the system, are you stratified with it. Thank you in advance for your help.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Would it be possible to unscrew everything and then transfers the whole set up in a bigger computer case supporting a standard size PSU ?

By the way someone know what is the motherboard name/model ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

No, the reason is because the mother board is a weird shape (AKA proprietary). You could get a new motherboard, but I don't know if they soldered the cpu to it.

Another plan you could do is make a case of your own. That way could make it as big or small as you could make it and the board's shape won't be too much of a problem. Just look up homemade computer case and you should be good.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Yeah, I just bought this computer and am a little upset that they would make the PSU so weak and at the same time so difficult to upgrade. Are there really no companies that make PSU that size?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
9 Rhodium

Jump to solution

Yeah, I just bought this computer and am a little upset that they would make the PSU so weak and at the same time so difficult to upgrade. Are there really no companies that make PSU that size?

DmFelt

Sorry to say, there are not, as the power supply is a Dell proprietary unit, as is the motherboard.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Xenon

Jump to solution

It is possible to hack it working by removing the power supply entirely and using adapter and placing power supply OUTSIDE the case.

Dual slot SHORT cards(GTX960/970) are fine but I do not think 12 inch long cards fit.

A MODDIY adapter is needed to convert 24 pin to 8 pin.

http://www.moddiy.com/products/Dell-Inspiron-3650-PSU-Main-Power-24%252dPin-to-8%252dPin-Adapter-Cab...

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Hey there, I just bought one of these (before I noticed the upgrade limitations...I'm new to the Glorious PC Master Race) and I have a few questions about your setup.  

- I got the same power supply you have... do i need any additional cables other than the 24 - 8 pin adapter (which I also got)

-What gpu did you get?

Bonus

If I decided to find a from factor like the link below, does it have enough cables for the all the needed components including the new gpu

www.newegg.com/.../Product.aspx

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Xenon

Jump to solution

The 400W TFX is too Big for that case and Too little power to be useful for ANY card.

The supply is SMALLER than TFX.  

Only Short cards fit. 8.5 inches max.

The EVGA Super Nova 500W is minimum I would recommend.

Better unit would be EVGA 700B1   Any power supply REQUIRES the MODDIY adapter. The EPS12v CPU connection is still 4 pin but the 24 pin needs to be converted to 8 pin.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438066

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Thanks!  I bought the 500w on sale and it's sitting next to my computer as we speak.  I'm waiting to get extra $ to get a graphics card before a change everything.   I'm still learning all this as I go.  Next time a 700 goes on sale I'll pick it up.

Hate to keep bugging you, but do you know of any cards that are 4 or 6g that meet that 8.5 or less requirement that are worth anything?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Hey Brockyman,

Glad to see your setup progressing. I put an ASUS 960 GTX 4GB card in and it fits perfectly, able to fully close the case. It is able to handle resource intensive games really well.

Hope that helps!

-mike

0 Kudos