Highlighted
2 Bronze

RE: Info on the New Inspiron Desktop Gamer Edition (Intel)

Jump to solution

Hey guys, stumbled upon this forum while researching how to upgrade the PSU of a recently purchased Inspiron 3650. I am looking to do some simple upgrades (Video Card and Firewire Connectors) and as a result need to upgrade the PSU. The 8pin main connectors that Dell has on this device makes it very difficult to find a compliant 500w+ PSU. The "stock" PSU for the Inspiron 3650 states "Total Power 240w MAX." The unit is build by ACBEL Electronic (WUHAN) CO., LTD. Dell Model: AC240NM-00. The unit dimensions are: 8 3/4'' x 3 1/4'' x 2 1/2''

I think that the only way that you will be able to upgrade the PSU is by using this 24pin > 8pin adapter which was suggested, by SpeedStep in a different thread! I just ordered it and will let you know whether this works. One other thing that I have been struggling with is the fact that there are now extra power connectors off of the PSU. My Firewire requires a standard 4pin Molex which is not available. There are not even any options to convert a SATA to Molex given the lack of connectors. 

Anyway, I wanted to at least share this info about the PSU since it seemed relevant to this thread. 

-mike

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Hey guys, stumbled upon this forum while researching how to upgrade the PSU of a recently purchased Inspiron 3650. I am looking to do some simple upgrades (Video Card and Firewire Connectors) and as a result need to upgrade the PSU. The 8pin main connectors that Dell has on this device makes it very difficult to find a compliant 500w+ PSU. The "stock" PSU for the Inspiron 3650 states "Total Power 240w MAX." The unit is build by ACBEL Electronic (WUHAN) CO., LTD. Dell Model: AC240NM-00. The unit dimensions are: 8 3/4'' x 3 1/4'' x 2 1/2''

I think that the only way that you will be able to upgrade the PSU is by using this 24pin > 8pin adapter which was suggested, by SpeedStep in a different thread! I just ordered it and will let you know whether this works. One other thing that I have been struggling with is the fact that there are now extra power connectors off of the PSU. My Firewire requires a standard 4pin Molex which is not available. There are not even any options to convert a SATA to Molex given the lack of connectors. 

Anyway, I wanted to at least share this info about the PSU since it seemed relevant to this thread. 

-mike

Could you tell us how it went, I have an Inspiron 3650 myself and was thinking about upgrading the psu but wasn't sure if it would be okay to do that.

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

100% confirmed, this 24pin > 8pin adapter will work on an Inspiron 3650 computer. I would imagine that it would work in any situation where an 8 pin main is used on the mobo. That said, the difficulty for me lies in the fact that there are no 500w tfx psus that would work with a slim line case. I am currently running a 500w EVGA PSU outside of the case. Not pleasing to the eyes, but gets the job done. Next stop, GPU upgrade!

Good luck everybody!

-mike

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Alright, thanks for the info! Also could you tell me if anything goes wrong? I plan on upgrading the psu myself

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Yes, fingers-crossed nothing does, but I will of course post here. I am definitely not a techy and was able to do this really easily.

best of luck!

-mike

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I was talking to dell customer support and was asking about upgrading the psu and this is what they said

"We do not recommend upgrading power supply because it cause the motherboard capacitor to swell/bulged. Capacitor is set on specific heat profile and if swell/bulged or leak,l it will shorten your desktop life. If the desktop is supposed to last for 5 years, because of swelling capacitor it will only have 3 years max."

I'm not sure if its true though

0 Kudos
Highlighted
9 Rhodium

Jump to solution

I was talking to dell customer support and was asking about upgrading the psu and this is what they said

"We do not recommend upgrading power supply because it cause the motherboard capacitor to swell/bulged. Capacitor is set on specific heat profile and if swell/bulged or leak,l it will shorten your desktop life. If the desktop is supposed to last for 5 years, because of swelling capacitor it will only have 3 years max."

I'm not sure if its true though

Rangemeladue

Sorry to say, what Dell Customer Support said, is not true.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

So does that mean that upgrading should be ( for the most part ) fine?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Xenon

Jump to solution

It means it is NOT upgradeable EVER. Its hard to tell from the pictures but the 3650 is only 14 inches tall.

I have a 3847 Tower with Core I7 4790K and Geforce 960 with a Corsair CS750M Power supply. 

That system cannot take ANY of the above listed components.

The tiny proprietary power supply cannot be upgraded.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

But Quazare said that he upgraded his power supply.

0 Kudos