Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

N

October 2nd, 2011 19:00

Inspiration 530s - reinstalling windows xp pro

Inspiration 530s about 5 years old approximately

Reinstalling xp pro for the second time.  First time a year ago went without a hitch.  This time when I inserted the COA number it was rejected.  Any ideas?

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

October 3rd, 2011 05:00

Hi Nashnut,

You should not be prompted for the license number when using a Dell reinstallation disc. Are you sure the disc matches the OS that came with your system?

49 Posts

October 3rd, 2011 12:00

:emotion-55:

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

October 3rd, 2011 14:00

Sometimes it is a case of mistakenly typing the letter O instead of zero, an eight instead of letter B and so on. Or it could be simply using the wrong key entirely. The key you use should have 25 characters, 5 sets of 5 letters and numbers. It is not the "Product Key or ID" that shows up as numbers only. It is or should be on a sticker on your computer tower.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

Yes but I was expanding on what you mentioned before about using a Dell CD and booting in BIOs so it shouldn't.

49 Posts

:emotion-55:

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

Follow my guide below for full instructions.

6 Posts

October 4th, 2011 23:00

I'm printing it up and will read everything fully.  Didn't have a problem the first time I did it.  I think there's something conflicting in the system that's messed things up.

6 Posts

Yes, I double and triple checked.  Got down on my hands and knees to make sure.

6 Posts

It's the disk Dell sent to be used to reinstall the system.  Microsoft Windows XP Professional reinstallation CD with service pack 3.

6.4K Posts

October 5th, 2011 12:00

I would advise you to check your procedure; as pointed out by Osprey and chesman, a Dell labeled installation disk for Windows XP Professional does not require entry of the product code from the COA when used on a computer licensed for that product.  Windows setup does not normally even give you the opportunity to enter the product code.  If you do successfully enter the code, it will not be activated as Microsoft does not allow activation of OEM product codes on line.

You must boot from the disk in order to have the installation automatically activated.  Either use the F12 one time boot menu and select the DVD/CD drive as the boot device, or enter system setup (F2 at the Dell logo after starting the computer) and make the DVD/CD drive first in the boot order.  Make certain to tap the space bar when you see the message to strike a key to boot from DVD/CD or you will boot from the hard drive instead.  Make sure you are not allowing the disk to autorun as this will trigger an "upgrade" type of installation and will not allow the code checking module to verify the Dell BIOS signature required for activation.

EDIT:  One additional note; you should delete the existing system partition and create a new partition for your fresh installation.  Otherwise you may wind up keeping some of the problems that led you to reinstall in the first place.

No Events found!