Highlighted
duckeehood
1 Copper

Inspirion 530s - power failure while updating BIOS

Jump to solution

We were getting ready to install more memory into my daughters computer and while the screen said "do not turn off" while it was updating the bios, the plug got pulled.  Now the computer won't boot up at all.  Is there a reboot I can download for this, of course the warranty expired last month

thanks for any suggestions

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Davet50
6 Indium

Re: Inspirion 530s - power failure while updating BIOS

Jump to solution

normally that is not a good thing. There in your case is about only one thing to try and that would be a CMOS reset . 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Or if you have a floppy drive you can download the System bios and try to reinstall it by using the floppy directions HERE along with the bios file

Home Built Sandy Bridge P8P67 i7 2600k @ 4.5 GHz 8gigs GSkill Ripjaws. Corsair 800D Case and AX1200 Ps X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty pro PCIe Sound Card
Dell Studio XPS 1645  Window 10 Pro

Forum member since 2003

duckeehood
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thank you.  I will try the CMOS reset this evening when I get home.  I don't think there is a floppy on that computer, can I download the system bios to cd?

Davet50
6 Indium

Jump to solution

you can try but the cd would have to be bootable like a floppy.  The problem will be though that if your cd drive is not the first in line in the boot order then it will never work, this is a long step as if the system does not boot at all this will more than likely not work at all.

Bear in mind this is about all you can do. if neither of these work you are looking at a new system board.

Home Built Sandy Bridge P8P67 i7 2600k @ 4.5 GHz 8gigs GSkill Ripjaws. Corsair 800D Case and AX1200 Ps X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty pro PCIe Sound Card
Dell Studio XPS 1645  Window 10 Pro

Forum member since 2003