Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 12th, 2017 12:00

Inspiron 20-3052, Bios update, computer will not do anything

So I upgraded my bios because the dell update assistant said I had an update. So now my Dell Inspiron 20 model 3052 will not do anything. The power light comes on and that is it. It stays orange. I have downloaded the iso for it. But even the repair disk isn't working. I have no idea what to even do.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

May 12th, 2017 13:00

WLPC73

The usual fix for a failed Dell BIOS flash, is to replace the motherboard.

Unless you have a Dell warranty in effect, can cost you the price of the replacement motherboard.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

May 12th, 2017 18:00

Bev may be right about needing a motherboard, but you should try clearing BIOS settings before doing anything else. But- obviously- if there's still a warranty, contact Dell and let them take care of it...

Power off and unplug. Press/hold power button for ~15 sec. Open case and remove motherboard coin cell battery. Press/hold power button for ~30 sec. Reinstall battery and close up. See if it boots now.

Working inside a system like this can be tricky so if it's beyond your capabilities, maybe a geeky friend or reliable PC shop can try this for you. Here's the manual with instructions to remove the coin cell battery on page 52. topics-cdn.dell.com/.../inspiron-20-3052-aio_service manual2_en-us.pdf

Even if you have to pay someone to try this, if it works this will be a whole lot cheaper than a new motherboard...

May 13th, 2017 09:00

I had the same thing happen to me yesterday.  I tried the above coin battery removal and still nothing.  My warranty recently expired and now I'm stuck with a big paper weight until I can figure this out.  

I still can't believe that an update killed my computer that was perfectly fine before yesterday afternoon. Is this a known issue with Dell crashing their products while trying to update our system with their updates?  Really upset about all this.  

Had I known it was going to cause all this I would have skipped the update!

20 Posts

May 13th, 2017 09:00

Same problem here. Got a notification of a BIOS update and my Inspiron 3252 locked up during installation. Now I can't boot up. Power light comes on then nothing. F8 does nothing, recovery drive does nothing. Gonna try the battery deal below. Then it's a call to Dell.

3 Posts

May 13th, 2017 11:00

I tried the battery trick and sadly it didn't fix my problem. I'm really upset because I just don't have the funds to get a new motherboard. Dell should be doing something about this.. Thank you for the help.

If anyone talks to Dell please let us know what they say.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

May 13th, 2017 14:00

BIOS upgrades should only be done, when the update either fixes a issue you are having, or when a BIOS update is required to support new hardware that you are installing.  

Otherwise it should not be done - regardless of whether it's listed as "critical" or "optional" on the Dell download's site.

Bev.

May 13th, 2017 14:00

Bev....I wish I would've known that before dell broke my computer!   We are  just the average family that uses our computer for casual use without knowing to ignore dell update notifications that we receive and think are important to keep our system up to date. I didn't go searching for it.   If it's an update that isn't critical for us to have or potentially harmful. WHY IS IT EVEN AN OPTION?  

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

May 13th, 2017 15:00

I tried the battery trick and sadly it didn't fix my problem. I'm really upset because I just don't have the funds to get a new motherboard. Dell should be doing something about this.. Thank you for the help.

If anyone talks to Dell please let us know what they say.

What version of Windows and what build (eg Win 10 Anniversary, Win 10 Creators...) What version of BIOS did you have and what version did you try to install?

Does the PC do anything? Do you see anything on the monitor? What color is power button and is it steady or blinking?

When you removed the battery, BIOS was reset to the defaults and those settings may not correct for your hardware. So if you see anything on the screen and/or beeps from the tower there might still be a chance....

How long ago did your warranty expire?  Dell has out of warranty repair service that you may want to investigate. You pay to ship to them and the "motherboard" repair rate and they pay to ship it back...

20 Posts

May 13th, 2017 16:00

I've seen a few others are having the exact same problem.

Just updated to Win 10 Creators a few days ago, took a long time but everything seemed to work ok.

No idea what BIOS version I have/had since I can't get the computer to boot to find out.

When turning on the pc, the power light is orange for a second or two, then turns the normal light blue. Steady with no blinking. I can hear the hard drive hum for a few seconds, then nothing.

Monitor does nothing. No flashing or anything. It is 'on' but in stand-by mode.

Of course the warranty just expired last December.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

May 13th, 2017 19:00

I've seen a few others are having the exact same problem.

Just updated to Win 10 Creators a few days ago, took a long time but everything seemed to work ok.

No idea what BIOS version I have/had since I can't get the computer to boot to find out.

When turning on the pc, the power light is orange for a second or two, then turns the normal light blue. Steady with no blinking. I can hear the hard drive hum for a few seconds, then nothing.

Monitor does nothing. No flashing or anything. It is 'on' but in stand-by mode.

Of course the warranty just expired last December.

Barry6482 - What PC model do you have?

I had the exact same symptoms as Barry6482 with my Dell laptop after updating to Creators Build, but I didn't do a BIOS update right before or right after the update. 

My fix was to prepare bootable media with Win 10 CB (free download from Microsoft site), boot from that, wipe the drive and start over. At least all my files were backed up on external media, so I didn't lose them.

Don't know if your issue is the same because you all did a BIOS update...BUT... if you have any bootable CD or DVD, see if you can boot from that. I used an ancient Dell Win XP reinstallation CD, but any bootable media should work.

Put bootable disk in the drive or connect bootable USB stick before you power on.  Power on and immediately press F12 to choose the disk or USB as the boot drive.

If  (Big IF)  the system boots like mine did, you're in luck! Create a bootable Win 10 CB disk or bootable USB stick and boot from that to do the clean install. If your files aren't backed up, you'll have to remove the HDD and put into USB drive housing or install as secondary HDD in some other PC to rescue your files. Then put it back where it belongs and do the clean install.

It takes a while to install all the drivers and software after a clean but at least you won't have to buy and install a new motherboard.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

May 13th, 2017 20:00

The following is Dell's policy on a failed BIOS update:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/p/19435778/20050222#20050222

Quote from above:

"Was told to upgrade bios....I did."

If Dell Support asked you to update the bios and it failed corrupting the cmos chip on the motherboard, then we are accountable to replace the motherboard. Contact Dell Technical Support.

Explain that you attempted to update the Bios using the Dell supplied file from our File Library.

- If in warranty, they will setup an onsite service to replace the motherboard.

- If out of warranty but inside 6 months of the warranty end date, they should setup a one time only motherboard exchange.

You will have to swap out the motherboard yourself.

- If out of warranty and outside 6 months of the warranty end date, you will have to purchase the motherboard from Spare Parts 800-357-3355 and replace it yourself.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

May 13th, 2017 20:00

DemonHunter918 -

Same questions for you too. Did you recently upgrade to Win 10 Creators Build?

What color is power button and steady or blinking? Try booting from bootable disk or USB stick. As I posted for Barry, my laptop gave essentially no signs of life a few days after the CB update, even though it seemed to work right after the update. Was about to toss it when I tried booting from a CD and "it's alive" as they say in the movies!

BTW: How long ago did your warranty expire? At one point Dell would repair a PC for free -one time only- if a BIOS update caused a crash within 6 months after the warranty ended. I have NO idea if they're still doing that.

If any of y'all are within that time limit, I can ping my Dell tech contact to ask if Dell is willing to help you out with this problem.  Keep in mind I don't work for Dell, so I have no control over what they will or won't do. If they're willing, you'll have to work out details with them about getting the system to a repair center and waiting for it to come back. And you may still want to back up files on another PC, just in case, before sending it in... :emotion-5:

219 Posts

May 14th, 2017 07:00

I would like to add my name to the list of victims. I had a perfectly operating Dell Inspiron 02-3052, running Windows Anniversary update. My wife got an update request from Dell, and foolishly trusted it. Now the computer just sits there with a glowing amber power light. Has anyone had any contact with Dell Tech Support regarding this issue and if so, what's been their response? In accordance with Shesagordie's post? I hope everyone will post Dell Technical Support's response and actions for all to see, to make sure we're being treated the same.

1 Message

May 14th, 2017 12:00

The update came in through the SupportAssist.  I am working with a client, a hotel, they bought 4 of the 3052's.  One constantly locks up and reboots.  Dell has replaced the motherboard twice and it still has the same issues.  By the way, all 4 are under warranty.  Today I allowed SupportAssist to update the BIOS.  Now it is dead and power like is red.  Called Dell and believe it or not, they said the PC was out of warranty and my client would have to pay for everything.  The warranty is not out until July of this year.  Hmmmmmm.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

May 14th, 2017 13:00

I pinged my Dell tech contact...

Talk about certain "actions" is prohibited by the Terms of Use on this forum and could get a user banned. So please edit that post accordingly. :emotion-5:

No Events found!